Part time anesthesia jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedPeony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How realistic is it to get a part time anesthesia job right out of residency if you care more about work hours than salary? Something like 30 hrs a week (call okay but generally less than 40 hrs per week total)? I've heard of them referred to as mommy track jobs. :) It seems like with the nature of the job, anesthesia would be a great field for part-time jobs, but I mostly hear about people in primary care getting these types of jobs and I didn't see many of them advertised on gasworks.

Would you have to be very flexible geographically? Are these positions that are generally private practice or academic jobs requiring a fellowship? I've heard that there are some locum tenens jobs, but they require moving around every few months I would assume. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Go on Gaswork.com and search for "jobs for p_ussies." You're welcome.

Reactions: 4 users
That was unnecessary Consigliere. OP, those jobs are around. Stick to your priorities. There is more to life than work and money.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought i wanted to do this until I actually got into practice and realized the financial implications ($150-200k vs $400k+) and got married, had a kid....

But yes, these jobs are not hard to find on gaswork. Also look at some of the "week on-week off" or "2 on-1 off" that are starting to pop up. These usually provide a full time-ish salary.

To the OP, yes there are jobs like what you are interested in. If you're happy making half pay for working half time, and if you can manage to live on that reduced income, I say go for it. Life is too short.

My daughter is an M3. She will graduate with no loans and no payments. I would be very happy if she chose to work less and have a good life in a specialty of her choosing, one that would be conducive to a good, stress free life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
It is more like half pay for 3/4 time. Still usually need a full set of benefits. Plus what usually happens is that less than full time positions usually don't work nights and weekends and holidays. Thus no premium pay for those shifts.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are flexible with location, you can significantly open up your options. You can easily make six figures, I recently saw a posting with 1 wk on/ 1 wk off for 280 plus benefits

Those jobs exist, but be warned that most of those easy, low hour, low complexity jobs will both stunt your professional growth and make it harder to pick up the pace later.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are flexible with location, you can significantly open up your options. You can easily make six figures, I recently saw a posting with 1 wk on/ 1 wk off for 280 plus benefits
Often those jobs are 80+ hour weeks for the "on" week ... just because you've got 26 weeks off per year doesn't make it not full time.

Don't listen to our cave troll, if you've got other priorities, it's ok to make it a part time gig, just recognize that that will likely involve certain trade offs.

The job market is still not as robust as one would like to be able to find a part time job in a place where anyone wants to live. less than likely to find a part time job in a full service hospital. usually doing endo, cataract clinic etc etc is where you will find the part time jobs..

Another steategy is to make partner than go part time when allowed. Will take 5 to 10 years but you will make more $. Nobody will hire you if you reveal this to be your plan though.

To the OP, yes there are jobs like what you are interested in. If you're happy making half pay for working half time, and if you can manage to live on that reduced income, I say go for it. Life is too short.

My daughter is an M3. She will graduate with no loans and no payments. I would be very happy if she chose to work less and have a good life in a specialty of her choosing, one that would be conducive to a good, stress free life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Amen brother. I wouldn't want my kids to suffer through my career in terms of work load; fortunately, they won't have to.

Amen brother. I wouldn't want my kids to suffer through my career in terms of work load; fortunately, they won't have to.
Maybe it's just my experience but there seems to be more and more American doctors moving to Australia and New Zealand to work in various specialties including anesthesiology as a way to wind down or start afresh. I feel like I've met several already just this past year. Not sure if this is a new growing trend (mass exodus?) or only coincidence.

If you live in or move to a big enough area, it's not too hard to cobble together easy locums gigs. I have several buddies who just take short term (4-8 weeks at a time) locums gigs, take some time off between them, and it works great for them. They can decide which assignments they want and when.

Another steategy is to make partner than go part time when allowed. Will take 5 to 10 years but you will make more $. Nobody will hire you if you reveal this to be your plan though.

I made this mistake with a couple practices. I thought I'd be HONEST and say I only wanted part time work and they HONESTLY did not reply. Most places want a full time person to fully participate in call, etc,etc,etc.

Go on Gaswork.com and search for "jobs for p_ussies." You're welcome.
I bet you tell yourself that working long hours and making LOTS of money is the key to happiness. Hence, your negative tone throughout this board.

I bet you tell yourself that working long hours and making LOTS of money is the key to happiness. Hence, your negative tone throughout this board.

He always seems like a man who loves his life and everything about it, right?