Part time hours prn status. Security

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a strategic opportunity to be inpatient at a comprehensive hospital for PRN. The position is odd in that it’s suggested that 28 hours a week with more than the fair share of weekend work but with mo guaranteed hours. Scheduling is three days consecutive per week. Pay per hour is good but with no benefits.

Is this strange that this is not classified as part time? The director says hours are available and that outside of covid lock down, the staff didn’t have reductions the last few years since she has been there.

also is it easier to fire a PRN employee and by how much? For instance is there a performance improvement plan or is there just a cessation of hours at the whim if the boss? Thank you! Im new here and need advice

Members don't see this ad.

They wouldn't necessary fire a PRN/per-diem employee because technically they don't have to give you any hours if there isn't a need and also it won't hurt them because you don't get any benefits. If you already have a full-time/part-time job, i would hold onto it and apply here if you want to network or just get extra cash in on the side. You could sit inside this PRN pool for months-years without getting hours so definitely don't rely on this as a reliable source of income.

Reactions: 1 user
They wouldn't necessary fire a PRN/per-diem employee because technically they don't have to give you any hours if there isn't a need and also it won't hurt them because you don't get any benefits. If you already have a full-time/part-time job, i would hold onto it and apply here if you want to network or just get extra cash in on the side. You could sit inside this PRN pool for months-years without getting hours so definitely don't rely on this as a reliable source of income.
I feel like this is a part time position disguised or mislabeled as a prn position. This is a lot if hours. The director says the hours are there and they never had to cut them outside of covid in the spring.
every position is at will in this country. Usually they don’t fire immediately. Is prn different where they would “fire” immediately?

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like this is a part time position disguised or mislabeled as a prn position. This is a lot if hours. The director says the hours are there and they never had to cut them outside of covid in the spring.
every position is at will in this country. Usually they don’t fire immediately. Is prn different where they would “fire” immediately?

Many hospitals don't have a reason to fire PRN positions because they aren't getting any benefits and are still trained to work there. If there is an emergent need to cover a shift, our director can always reach out to one of these PRNs and hope that one would be free. It would be more like a PRN position, disguised as a part-time position so it would be attractive for applicants.

Where is this job? I would rather be prn with a hospital getting too many hours than with CVS.

It's quite simple.
They don't have an FTE position budgeted -- which has to be approved by hospital leadership. A lot of hospitals are on a hiring freeze.
But PRNs aren't classified as FTEs. Yes, their hours and salary are counted in the department budget, but it's just *different*.

So the Director isn't lying to you, in the Spring of 2020 he or she probably had to cut out overtime for the technicians, cut out the PRN hours, etc. They were getting *THE SKY IS FALLING* emails and meetings.

But do understand, if the sky ever does fall again, PRNs are the first ones to go.

Reactions: 1 user