Part time work in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voxveritatisetlucis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that most medical schools outlaw students from working, but does this also apply to part time work and or student ventures/companies. For example, I would like to start developing an app before med school starts. If the app worked out, would I be able to continue doing it in med school or would I get in trouble if my tax return reported income during med school?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what "outlaw" is supposed to mean, but, no, med school is tough enough, and time consuming enough, that you are not supposed to be working while in med school. Work is work. 60 hours a week at a hedge fund. 20 hours a week at McDonalds. However many hours a week in your bedroom working on your app.

That said, nobody is going to be cross referencing your tax returns, other than, of course, for financial aid purposes. You've already said that you have an extensive investment portfolio that will presumably be generating income while you are in school, so merely showing income on a tax return is not going to set off any bells in any event.

Otherwise, if you are brilliant enough to handle everything, you should be fine, but I wouldn't want to be the guy seeking help in the student resource center, to avoid having to repeat a year, while explaining that you have historically been fine academically and just under estimated just how difficult med school would be when making time commitments to your app.

I get that you seem to enjoy living on the edge, but it was only a few short months ago that you were worried about the realization of your life long dream being unfairly denied to you because of a youthful indiscretion. Now that you are back in the game, after an involuntary multi year delay, you would "like to start developing an app before med school starts"!

My humble suggestion would be to put the horse before the cart, and hold off until AFTER med school starts. Not only to conform to the expectations or requirements of the school, but, more importantly, to be able to see how much free time you actually have before making outside time commitments. What's more important to you -- being successful in med school, and putting yourself in the best possible position to be accepted into the most competitive specialty possible at the best possible med school, or getting a jump start on a side hustle? JMHO.

If you are worried at all about getting into "trouble," either academically or administratively, you don't need to post questions about the activity, because you already know that the correct response is simply to follow the rules, whatever they are. If you think an activity is "outlawed," you of all people should know that the correct answer is to not engage in it, rather than to ask questions about whether you will get in trouble if evidence of your involvement is later uncovered! :)

By the way, a lot of your posts giving advice to others are pretty insightful and spot on, which is why posts referring to schools "outlawing" outside activities and checking for compliance through tax returns might look like trolling to some. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You have to send your tax returns each year in order to get financial aid.

It would be more of a hobby than a job

Members don't see this ad :)
So, again, what's the question? Aren't you going to have income from your investments? Won't all M1s who are working now have income on their tax returns next year?

They are telling you not to work, full time, part time, no time. If it isn't work because it's a hobby, you're fine!

Given your current income and your assets, are you really expecting financial aid, even before looking at your parents?

Reactions: 1 user
I know that most medical schools outlaw students from working, but does this also apply to part time work and or student ventures/companies. For example, I would like to start developing an app before med school starts. If the app worked out, would I be able to continue doing it in med school or would I get in trouble if my tax return reported income during med school?

Thanks in advance.
It might be school-dependent, but be aware of the time trap this can make.

I had a student who failed his first year courses and had to repeat OMSI because he was a stock broker by trade before med school, and he tried to keep doing that on the side as a student. As we saw, that didn't work out so well for him.

Reactions: 1 users
It might be school-dependent, but be aware of the time trap this can make.

I had a student who failed his first year courses and had to repeat OMSI because he was a stock broker by trade before med school, and he tried to keep doing that on the side as a student. As we saw, that didn't work out so well for him.
yea, I work rn, and stocks is def taking up more of my time than it should

I'm not sure what "outlaw" is supposed to mean, but, no, med school is tough enough, and time consuming enough, that you are not supposed to be working while in med school. Work is work. 60 hours a week at a hedge fund. 20 hours a week at McDonalds. However many hours a week in your bedroom working on your app.

That said, nobody is going to be cross referencing your tax returns, other than, of course, for financial aid purposes. You've already said that you have an extensive investment portfolio that will presumably be generating income while you are in school, so merely showing income on a tax return is not going to set off any bells in any event.

Otherwise, if you are brilliant enough to handle everything, you should be fine, but I wouldn't want to be the guy seeking help in the student resource center, to avoid having to repeat a year, while explaining that you have historically been fine academically and just under estimated just how difficult med school would be when making time commitments to your app.

I get that you seem to enjoy living on the edge, but it was only a few short months ago that you were worried about the realization of your life long dream being unfairly denied to you because of a youthful indiscretion. Now that you are back in the game, after an involuntary multi year delay, you would "like to start developing an app before med school starts"!

My humble suggestion would be to put the horse before the cart, and hold off until AFTER med school starts. Not only to conform to the expectations or requirements of the school, but, more importantly, to be able to see how much free time you actually have before making outside time commitments. What's more important to you -- being successful in med school, and putting yourself in the best possible position to be accepted into the most competitive specialty possible at the best possible med school, or getting a jump start on a side hustle? JMHO.

If you are worried at all about getting into "trouble," either academically or administratively, you don't need to post questions about the activity, because you already know that the correct response is simply to follow the rules, whatever they are. If you think an activity is "outlawed," you of all people should know that the correct answer is to not engage in it, rather than to ask questions about whether you will get in trouble if evidence of your involvement is later uncovered! :)

By the way, a lot of your posts giving advice to others are pretty insightful and spot on, which is why posts referring to schools "outlawing" outside activities and checking for compliance through tax returns might look like trolling to some. :)
idk about holding off until med school to start. now is when you have free time, and far more than you will once med school starts. just make sure you can account for the time you will have to spend on maintenance in advance of med school. starting a while new initiative in med school will be far harder.

Reactions: 2 users
yea, I work rn, and stocks is def taking up more of my time than it should

idk about holding off until med school to start. now is when you have free time, and far more than you will once med school starts. just make sure you can account for the time you will have to spend on maintenance in advance of med school. starting a while new initiative in med school will be far harder.
And IDK about starting at all, given the long, uncertain road that had to be traveled just to get to this point. I'll be focused on the task at hand, and I did not have to go through anywhere near what OP had to go through to get here. Schools don't want us working, so I wouldn't be looking for a side hustle because I constantly feel a need to test boundaries. YMMV.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd generally say get used to medical school first. Establishing strong study habits and study buddies early will set you up for success later. You can come back to it once you are done with first year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I've never heard of a school outlawing work, what if you had a paid research position or something? Developing an app is probably doable if only because you set your own schedule, but just know that I've had a few friends go down that road and they eventually had to quit their jobs to focus on the app, so while it may sounds simple enough to develop the app in your free time in practice you usually end up having to pick one or the other.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never heard of a school outlawing work, what if you had a paid research position or something? Developing an app is probably doable if only because you set your own schedule, but just know that I've had a few friends go down that road and they eventually had to quit their jobs to focus on the app, so while it may sounds simple enough to develop the app in your free time in practice you usually end up having to pick one or the other.
True, if it came down to that, I’d have no problem giving it up or handing it over. For now it’s more of just a hobby and exercise in not losing my coding skills because right now I only do coding related to data science, no software development or anything