participate in community-wide immuinization program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RubRoss LSU

Trumpet Extraordinare
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm applying to med school for Fall 2006 and have an opportunity for something cool. Last year I was scheduled to participate in a community-wide immunization program from Oct-Jan, which would give me really awesome experience in a clinical setting and interacting with patients. However, the program was placed on hiatus because of vaccination shortages. I was invited again this year to particpate in the program. My only problem is that I may have too much on my plate with school (16-19 hrs), research job, and possbily leadership position in the marching band. Do you think I should attempt to participate in the program and give up something, or just not worry about it? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

If possible, I'd definately do it. You want to ensure, however, that it won't drastically hurt your GPA, and that the program's directors will understand if you have to skip out for a med school interview here and there.

If you need to drop another EC, I'd consider you as a candidate first. Do you already have good clinical ECs? If so, it may not be so important. If you already have tons of research, see if you can lower your hours at work for the program's time frame. If you need more leadership in your app, or just can't give up marching band (I see your comment under your name is Trumpet Extroardinare), then keep that, but otherwise its not so important for med school.

If I had the opportunity, I'd definately jump at it, but you really have to consider how much it will help YOUR app, and how much it will hurt YOUR semester/college experience to make the sacrifices to do it.