Participating as a defense expert in a "delay to diagnose" medical malpractice lawsuit.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtle1966

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it practical for a community pathologist to participate as a "pathology defense expert" in a case of "delay to diagnose a cancer, leading to death". I am concerned about time and financial commitment. What is usual time commitment? How and how much can I charge for my time and effort?

I would like to hear from those have gone through the process.

Members don't see this ad.

It is certainly practical if the case in question involves a community pathologist. Then you as a community pathologist are well qualified to offer opinions about standard of care in that particular setting (this is a point of legal distinction that I think varies from state to state).
Charge the lawyers 300.00 per hour as well as expenses.

It is certainly practical if the case in question involves a community pathologist. Then you as a community pathologist are well qualified to offer opinions about standard of care in that particular setting (this is a point of legal distinction that I think varies from state to state).
Charge the lawyers 300.00 per hour as well as expenses.
You advice was to the point and very helpful. Thanks.

Be upfront about how much time you have to give them. Also have you worked with this law firm before? Some are quick to pay...some are well not quick to pay...be VERY careful if you are dependent on the money.

If you have the time and consider this money to be fun cash you are gonna blow in Cabo, Vegas or a week in Italy, then go for it.

Current rates are between 200-600 dollars dependent on your qualifications and where you are.