partnering with a pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomdoc1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this as a clinic owner? So a pharmacy approached us and they are offering to set up shop physically within the clinic. There are obvious clinical benefits to this with patient compliance and on site pharmacy services, great to have a pharmacist right in shop. They said they'd pay for the rent for the space they'd occupy at fair market value. Makes sense. But I'm thinking of other economic options. Obviously, need to be careful about conflict of interest and kick back laws--totally get it from an ethical and legal standpoint. But does anyone have experience in billing and the clinic getting reimbursement for certain pharmacy services? I'm thinking--
-pill bubble/box packing
-more involved visit with the pharmacist
-on site administration of immunizations (flu, covid boosters, etc.)

So the pharmacy would be housed in the clinic, they'd of course get income by billing insurance for the medications they dispense.

I suspect this pharmacy is also looking at geographic territory growth. Other people (i.e. non-patients of our clinic) in the commercial building we are in may want to use it for convenience, maybe even some people from neighboring buildings. Heck, I'm thinking of using their bubble pack service already since my parents make plenty of medication mistakes. So...if this clinic bills for other services that can be provided, that really opens up another department of the clinic altogether and possibilities. Maybe we can even do on site drug testing? That'd be nice.

Thoughts are welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe you have listed some of the major benefits and risks. There are a few other things to consider, and I'm sure even more I haven't thought of:
- will the location really have enough people to meet the volume necessary for a pharmacy to stay afloat? This is really sorta "their problem," not your problem, and they have hopefully properly researched this
- will the added foot traffic to the building interfere with feelings of privacy for the patients?
- will your patients be able to use this pharmacy? More and more insurance plans are requiring the use of specific pharmacies
- will the pricing be competitive enough?
- will you be able to fully give patients the opportunity to select another pharmacy? If your goal is improved adherence, you might feel pressured to default to this pharmacy and/or mandate it
- do you really need a pharmacy to do on-site UDS?
- having a medication dispensary in your office would have similar benefits but potentially more headaches since you're the one managing it
- is the building properly coded for a pharmacy (again, "their problem," not yours)
- how will disputes be handled? The pharmacist may feel pressure to approve your prescriptions more than they otherwise might due to the business relationship
- what OTC will they have and how will that impact you? A surprising number of these types of pharmacies market homeopathic and alternative medicine items. Ostensibly this is done to attract certain clientele and engage them in traditional medicine while also limiting the harm of the alternative medicines available elsewhere. But would this affect patient's views of you in a way you are comfortable with?
- how will the patient experience at the pharmacy affect their relationship with you?
- is there a different type of business you would be interested in leasing that space out to? Committing to this one means that space will likely not be available again any time soon. Would adding more therapist or other staff offices be better for your business growth?
- does the pharmacy being in the same building confer any additional benefit RE: pill packs? Most pharmacies offer this already and they'll mail them to patients as well.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe you have listed some of the major benefits and risks. There are a few other things to consider, and I'm sure even more I haven't thought of:
- will the location really have enough people to meet the volume necessary for a pharmacy to stay afloat? This is really sorta "their problem," not your problem, and they have hopefully properly researched this
- will the added foot traffic to the building interfere with feelings of privacy for the patients?
- will your patients be able to use this pharmacy? More and more insurance plans are requiring the use of specific pharmacies
- will the pricing be competitive enough?
- will you be able to fully give patients the opportunity to select another pharmacy? If your goal is improved adherence, you might feel pressured to default to this pharmacy and/or mandate it
- do you really need a pharmacy to do on-site UDS?
- having a medication dispensary in your office would have similar benefits but potentially more headaches since you're the one managing it
- is the building properly coded for a pharmacy (again, "their problem," not yours)
- how will disputes be handled? The pharmacist may feel pressure to approve your prescriptions more than they otherwise might due to the business relationship
- what OTC will they have and how will that impact you? A surprising number of these types of pharmacies market homeopathic and alternative medicine items. Ostensibly this is done to attract certain clientele and engage them in traditional medicine while also limiting the harm of the alternative medicines available elsewhere. But would this affect patient's views of you in a way you are comfortable with?
- how will the patient experience at the pharmacy affect their relationship with you?
- is there a different type of business you would be interested in leasing that space out to? Committing to this one means that space will likely not be available again any time soon. Would adding more therapist or other staff offices be better for your business growth?
- does the pharmacy being in the same building confer any additional benefit RE: pill packs? Most pharmacies offer this already and they'll mail them to patients as well.
I love your response. Excited about the meeting I have with one of their staff next week and this brings great questions to ask!
I do know that they are a larger brand, so they are in network with many insurances already. Everyone knows I hate United aka Optum and for the life of god, they do not offer pill packs to my knowledge yet require use of their pharmacy which I worry about my geriatric patients. This pharmacy does mail prescriptions, hooray.

Privacy question is a great one. Yes, I think the pharmacy company will be doing their geographic research and projections and potentially I wonder if worse comes to worse, have a staff person working there fewer hours in the start and if the traffic accrues so will the hours of the pharmacist? Don't need pharmacy to do on site UDS, but they may offer a level of ancillary support I could use. Have to explore logistics and how much work would be required ongoing on my end. Super great thoughts indeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
The irony. Turns out that pharmacy is owned by Optum. Optum is also buying up some MH clinics. What has this world come to. lol. Researching the pharmacy competitors now...haha

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
The irony. Turns out that pharmacy is owned by Optum. Optum is also buying up some MH clinics. What has this world come to. lol. Researching the pharmacy competitors now...haha
Gotta love it. Maybe they will buy my clinic and I can retire. I hope that can happen before they take over the entire healthcare system in the name of single-payer and improving healthcare and stopping providers from being greedy and we all are forced to work for them.

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users