Party that opened my eyes!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JakeMUSC

D3
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, last nite I went with a friend of mine(who just had his last day as a DS-1) and we went to a house party with about 20 DS-1ers that were all celebrating finishing up their first year.
If you guys could see the looks of these peoples faces when they were telling me about how much of a horror story gross anatomy and 1st year was :eek: ! They were so excited and happy to be done with school until the fall. Every single person I talked to and met, had nothing really good to say! Wow, I guess now I am really realizing how difficult 1st year really will be. LOL, one guy was even telling me (I think he was a "gunner") that he couldnt waste any free time during 1st year that he even studied his notes in the bathroom :laugh: !!

Can anyone on SDN say anything pleasant about 1st year?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

JakeMUSC said:

Sure. To each his own opinion.

First year for me was great. You can read my entire thread on it (basically a blog) by searching for it in the Pre-dent forum.

Parts of D1 were hard, but it wasn't anything out-of-control.

JakeMUSC said:
Hey guys, last nite I went with a friend of mine(who just had his last day as a DS-1) and we went to a house party with about 20 DS-1ers that were all celebrating finishing up their first year.
If you guys could see the looks of these peoples faces when they were telling me about how much of a horror story gross anatomy and 1st year was :eek: ! They were so excited and happy to be done with school until the fall. Every single person I talked to and met, had nothing really good to say! Wow, I guess now I am really realizing how difficult 1st year really will be. LOL, one guy was even telling me (I think he was a "gunner") that he couldnt waste any free time during 1st year that he even studied his notes in the bathroom :laugh: !!

horror story in gross anatomy ? I think they haven't seen neurobiology yet. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course Dental school is challenging, otherwise everyone would do it :)
Just remember it is only 2 years of bookwork, lab aka. Hell, then 2 years of realizing how much you don't know. Then you get to charge 1G a crown!
There is life outside dental school. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming.

JakeMUSC said:

your memory of how bad first year sucked fades with time, so the people you partied with are the worst ones to ask if you want anything encouraging. dont worry, you will make it!

texas_dds said:
your memory of how bad first year sucked fades with time

-so true

kerrydds06 said:
...Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming.
I wish that it was that simple! Dental school is a triathlon event which can turn into a marathon!
Hang on to your lug nuts, ladies and gents, it's going to be one hell of a bumpy ride!!!

texas_dds said:
your memory of how bad first year sucked fades with time
or it'll leave you scarred for life!!!

texas_dds said:
so the people you partied with are the worst ones to ask if you want anything encouraging.
so are the 2nd yr, maybe 3rd and even 4th yr!!!

texas_dds said:
dont worry, you will make it!
or maybe not!!! :D
there are two 6th yr and one 7th yr dental students at my school. NO, they're NOT residents!!! :eek:

7th year??
5 is the max at san antonio, then buh bye

to our original poster, most people debate between 1st and 2nd year being the worst - for me it was 2nd (mostly cause our pros labs are deadly)
but no matter what, yes the first part of dental school is horrible! that is why they screen you carefully to get in! and that is why you get to be called doctor eventually. if it were easy everyone would do it, right?

kerrydds06 said:
Of course Dental school is challenging, otherwise everyone would do it :)
Just remember it is only 2 years of bookwork, lab aka. Hell, then 2 years of realizing how much you don't know. Then you get to charge 1G a crown!
There is life outside dental school. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming.

HAHAHAHAHAHA......Dori from Nemo...good one

JakeMUSC said:
Party that opened my eyes!
Yeah, there was a party that opened my eyes! but that's a whole different story! Buy me a drink and I'll tell you all about it! :D

Yulp, dental school sucks. I thought, from the title of this thread, that you went to a party and did a lot of blow.... that would have been much more interesting.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Zurik5 said:
Yulp, dental school sucks. I thought, from the title of this thread, that you went to a party and did a lot of blow.... that would have been much more interesting.