PA's "Error" results in $4 million verdict against the doc who signed chart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A good article explaining the risk:

Could a malpractice mega-verdict wipe you out?

In general, our personal assets are relatively safe from any malpractice verdict.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I always thought it was weird how Indiana has a good malpractice climate when its directly next to Chicago. Would have thought some of the malpractice thinking would have diffused between the two.
The people who run Illinois are far more corrupt (more of them are trial lawyers) than the people who run Indiana. It is like two separate countries.

Members don't see this ad :)
401(k)'s and 403(b)'s have ERISA protection from creditors and no matter what amount they contain, they cannot be touched by creditors. Therefore, it doesn't matter how big of a verdict you have against you, it's safe.

IRA's -- including SEP-IRA's -- have no ERISA protection. Most states have laws that protect assets up to $1 million.

I think according to this chart IRAs are usually protected in most states. Sucks if you practice in one where your retirement IRA can be seized (california, maine etc).

http://www.thetaxadviser.com/content/dam/tta/issues/2014/jan/stateirachart.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Here's another good article on above policy limit payouts and med mal reform. A lot of the data is from Texas. The punchline is there were OOP payments in 0.6% of med mal cases with settlements or plaintiff verdict over 20 years. That's a really small number. Average payment was less than 250K and this was often in a case where less than standard amount of insurance was carried. The data set also includes a lot of years pre tort reform in Texas so I believe it is applicable elsewhere.

http://scholarship.law.uci.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1208&context=ucilr

I'm waiting for one of the CMGs to adopt a policy where they get the doc removed from the suit (in general, not just with PA cases) and the plaintiff would go up against "CMG Physicians group" instead of just the sole doc. I know several hospital-employed docs who get this protection and it makes sense on all sides...hospitals don't have a doc on their staff with lots of rulings against him/her, docs are emotionally far better off and in a better position to keep practicing productively in the system...and the med-mal lawyer can still go after a pound of flesh.

Whichever CMG did this first would probably see a rush in recruitment and it would probably cause a trickle-down effect to other groups.

So for R3s/R4s interviewing for hospital-employed positions, make sure you ask about this. It's a potentially huge benefit that's not often advertised.

Reactions: 1 users
I refuse to sign charts of patients that were not discussed with me or not seen by me. There's no reason to do that. Plenty of jobs with good pay where you don't have to do that.

One place I signed up to work locums expected me to sign PA charts for patients I didn't see but never told me about it. I didn't sign any of the charts and told them they can do it themselves. Me being in a different room in the same building at the time shouldn't make me any more liable than the director sitting at home, he can sign them. Or the PAs can discuss the cases with me.

Neither your house nor retirement accounts are protected depending on what state you live in. In fact, most states have zero protection for house and very meager protection for retirement accounts.

That's why every attending should have an estate lawyer within a few years of starting for a will but also to setup structures that protect you assets to the maximum extent possible with state law.

In California, the homestead laws only protect ~$75,000. Good luck finding a home for <$75,000 in CA. Does this mean you'd have to sell your house if you own a $500k home and lose a case for $250k more than your medmal limit? (assuming you don't have money elsewhere to pay for it)

So, can an attorney set up a Trust to place the home, taxable accounts, and other assets so it's untouchable by creditors? How much does this generally cost to set up?

If you put all property and assets in your sig others' name like your home, cars, bank accounts, retirement, etc. Are those assets protected from a malpractice lawsuit?

Let me rephrase the information from the study I posted above: on average, you'd have to lose or settle almost 200 med mal suits to end up in one situation where you would pay anything out of pocket in excess of your policy limits.

It seems a lot like planning for the zombie apocalypse or nuclear winter. Sure, it could happen. Odds are, though, you're better off preparing for other, more likely things...

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me rephrase the information from the study I posted above: on average, you'd have to lose or settle almost 200 med mal suits to end up in one situation where you would pay anything out of pocket in excess of your policy limits.

It seems a lot like planning for the zombie apocalypse or nuclear winter. Sure, it could happen. Odds are, though, you're better off preparing for other, more likely things...

I suppose - however it's much more likely you will end up worried sick for several years as the case works itself through the court whether you will lose your personal assets. If you know your personal money is safe, it's probably going to help you a lot mentally over a long painful process.

Limited idea if it makes any difference, but our MLP attestation reads:

"I was available in the ED for consultation should the MLP hve felt necessary. Based on the record, the care appears appropriate."

Reactions: 1 users
Note: This is from May issue of Medical Malpractice Insights
(see link for full-story)

"Error" results in $11.8 million verdict, $4 million against the doc who signed the
PA's chart

==========

**Hernandez v Morton Plant Hospital et al. – Florida**

**Facts** : A 17 yo male goes to the ED with pain around his R eye. A PA diagnoses
and treats conjunctivitis. The attending physician signs the chart. Four months
later the plaintiff has a ruptured cerebral aneurysm, undergoes emergency surgery,
but suffers brain damage with L sided weakness and seizures. He requires a
caregiver. An attorney is consulted and a lawsuit filed.

**Plaintiff** : The doctor never saw me. My problem was more than just "pinkeye."
You should have asked me more questions. Your history and exam were inadequate. A CT
would have found the aneurysm behind my R eye, and it could have been fixed before
it ruptured. 

**Defense** : You did have conjunctivitis. The diagnosis was correct. You had no
symptoms of an aneurysm, not even a headache. If you did have a headache, you should
have told us. No reasonable provider would have done a CT under the circumstances.

**Result** : Jury verdict for $13.2 million (30% each for PA, MD, hospital) reduced
by 10% to $11.88 million because patient was a poor historian. (DUH!)

**Takeaways** :

\* This is a really spooky case. How does one confuse conjunctivitis with the
sentinel headache of a cerebral aneurysm?! There's got to be more to this story.

\* A now-disabled teenage plaintiff makes a compelling "victim" on the witness stand.

\* Remember, we are liable for the care of our PA's. Even though the physician never
saw this patient, he was responsible to the tune of almost $4 million.

**Source** :

Verdict Search (Wrong diagnosis caused teen’s brain damage, plaintiff alleged | Verdict Search )

**Reference** :

Bernard CD. Physician liability for the actions of midlevel providers. Medical
Economics, Feb 18, 2015. (
Physician liability for the actions of midlevel providers )

Nothing in this post surprises me in the least. Anyone that's surprised by this, hasn't been paying attention.

I refuse to sign charts of patients that were not discussed with me or not seen by me. There's no reason to do that. Plenty of jobs with good pay where you don't have to do that.

Consider yourself lucky. Most hospitals will not allow this and will put your charts into delinquency. Ultimately you would get a suspension if your hospital bylaws allow, and subsequently they would be required to report you to your state medical board and the Practitioner Data Bank. That would have dire consequences on your attempts to credential at another job after losing your current one.

If you put all property and assets in your sig others' name like your home, cars, bank accounts, retirement, etc. Are those assets protected from a malpractice lawsuit?

I think this would be a good topic to cover. I know your strategy for protection will differ from state to state because of the laws but there are some general things that I believe apply to everyone.

Look up the homestead laws in the state and see how much the limit is, I believe that value in your home is protected. But yes, I believe if you share that stuff with your significant other then it is possible to go after... not sure if it is solely in their name, like if you just gave them complete control of all your assets.

Also tax deferred accounts like IRA are also protected, so def worth maxing those out.

Another good strategy is umbrella insurance policies. They can cover up to a few million. These are good because no matter what type of situation you get into (auto accident/etc) and somebody knows you are a doctor, they try to get more out of you.

Only other thing I can think of is offshore accounts. Besides that I would love for anyone else to share strategies to hide our money through convoluted mechanisms.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Why would you go in the data bank? I thought that was just claims data.

No, peer review with negative actions is reportable. Most hospitals don't report it though. (i.e., you are required to shadow a physician due to a bad outcome, you get reprimanded, etc.)

When I looked again, hospital disciplinary action for non-clinical related activities is not reportable. However, it is reportable to many state medical boards. If they sanction you, then it would be reportable. So it's not directly reportable.

Here's a list of reportable actions: The NPDB - What You Must Report to the NPDB

Two Questions:

1) Is anyone inserting language into these charts such as "I was available for consultation but did not physically see the patient...yada yada yada..."

2) Does #1 offer any protection? I know you'll likely get named but will you likely get dropped?

Two Questions:

1) Is anyone inserting language into these charts such as "I was available for consultation but did not physically see the patient...yada yada yada..."

2) Does #1 offer any protection? I know you'll likely get named but will you likely get dropped?

I posted this in the other thread, but our MLP attestation reads:

I was physically available in the department for consultation if the MLP felt necessary. Based on the medical records, the care appears appropriate.

I was physically available in the department for consultation if the MLP felt necessary. Based on the medical records, the care appears appropriate.

So you pretty much read their entire chart? What happens if they are discharged and you do not think the care was appropriate?

So you pretty much read their entire chart? What happens if they are discharged and you do not think the care was appropriate?

I quickly read the chart.
If the chart isn't up to snuff, I have the MLP fix it.
If I feel the care wasn't appropriate, they get a callback.

Two Questions:

I used to do locums at a Team Health site. I had been working there on and off for a few years. At about year 2.5 they started sending me the MLP charts to sign.

I typed up a statement for a macro that basically read, "I was one of three emergency physicians working in the department when this patient was seen independently by the MLP. All evaluation, treatment, and disposition was performed completely independently from my involvement and I was not aware that the patient was in the department. I was available during this patient's stay for notification or consultation. I was not notified or consulted. I have been requested the administration to sign this chart."

That lasted for about four months and then they stopped sending me the charts.

I am not sure how much the macro protected me. I am not sure how it would have worked if I wasn't a "needed" 1099 locums (vs. employee). But it accomplished my goals.

HH

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 users
I used to do locums at a Team Health site. I had been working there on and off for a few years. At about year 2.5 they started sending me the MLP charts to sign.

I typed up a statement for a macro that basically read, "I was one of three emergency physicians working in the department when this patient was seen independently by the MLP. All evaluation, treatment, and disposition was performed completely independently from my involvement and I was not aware that the patient was in the department. I was available during this patient's stay for notification or consultation. I was not notified or consulted. I have been requested the administration to sign this chart."

That lasted for about four months and then they stopped sending me the charts.

I am not sure how much the macro protected me. I am not sure how it would have worked if I wasn't a "needed" 1099 locums (vs. employee). But it accomplished my goals.

HH

This is weird. I don't remember typing that post/statement but the quotation box in your post has my screen name on it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does that verbage offer any level of legal protection, though? If the case here the doc had that attestation, would the outcome have been different? I'm not sure.

Does that verbage offer any level of legal protection, though? If the case here the doc had that attestation, would the outcome have been different? I'm not sure.

I don't know. But I make it very clear that the actions or inactions taken are driven by the MLP.

I've known of one case where the judgment against a physician was more than his policy limit. The health system ultimately paid on his behalf. He no longer staffs that health system.

Was this doc employed by the hospital or by an outside group?

This is weird. I don't remember typing that post/statement but the quotation box in your post has my screen name on it....

Yes, weird. That was certainly not intentional on my part. Indeed, I have no idea how that happened.

It appears "GonnaBeADoc2222" made the post and somehow your name was attached.

I doubt there's harm, but I apologize for any small contribution I made if there was harm.

?glitch

HH

Yes, weird. That was certainly not intentional on my part. Indeed, I have no idea how that happened.

It appears "GonnaBeADoc2222" made the post and somehow your name was attached.

I doubt there's harm, but I apologize for any small contribution I made if there was harm.

?glitch

HH
Probably had two quotes in your original reply and you deleted parts of them. Or it could be an actual glitch. I fixed the original so it links to the correct post.

Neither your house nor retirement accounts are protected depending on what state you live in. In fact, most states have zero protection for house and very meager protection for retirement accounts.

That's why every attending should have an estate lawyer within a few years of starting for a will but also to setup structures that protect you assets to the maximum extent possible with state law.

I love how everyone reverts to 1st year medical student inuendo when talking about lawsuits. A Plaintiff isn't going after your assets, b/c as rich as everyone is on this forum (based on salary conversations of $300+/hr that everyone on here has), you aren't the deepest pockets. The deep pockets are (1) your insurance, (2) your hospital, and (3) your group. that's who they're going to hit up. And yes, in Florida, if you are sued by someone, your house is protected (that's why OJ moved here). If estate lawyers and trusts and Panama accounts help you sleep at night, spend away...you're wasting your money if your goal is to "hide" money that you can lose in lawsuit.

Medscape: Medscape Access
Sheltering Personal Assets from Medical Malpractice Liability Is Overrated - ACEP Now