PASS application 2014 Qs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crooked castle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm getting ready to apply for GPR/AEGDs this May, and I have some questions for those who have been through it recently.

1. How many letter of recs do we need and from what kind of faculty (didactic vs clinical?). I read about PPI and PEF but I'm still confused...what are these?

2. What was the personal statement question and word limit?

3. What other portions make up the application that I can prepare ahead of time (resume/CV, etc)

4. Is there a better way to look up GPR/AEGD other than googling? Does submitting early (when do they start accepting PASS) work in our favor? any other advice?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

1. # Varies by program. Ppi is a quicker number based evaluation pef is closer to a traditional lor.

2. 5200 I believe.

3. Resume/CV, 2x2 photo, start organizing your awards, ECs, volunteer, jobs by chrono

4. Google: "pass match". Look at their program search function.

If i'm wrong on any of this someone feel free to correct.

Thanks @Sublimazing. How many GPRs/AEGDs should I apply to be safe? I'm probably slightly below the middle of my class and I want to make sure I get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to make sure I get in somewhere.

Unfortunately, when you're applying to programs it probably isn't an area where you want to start saving bucks. For some people they only need to apply to 1 program, others many more. I ended up with a 40% interview rate for my OMS application and luckily matched. My impending doom is rapidly approaching. Good luck.

Is there a general number of GPR/AEGD programs one should apply to as a fairly avg applicant? are we talking at least 10, or more like 20+? Just so I can narrow down my list.

Also some programs do pass AND match...what does that mean? Do I submit both, and do they favor match more then since it's more of a committment?

Some programs only want PPIs and others want PPIs + PEFs. In this case should some of my PPIs be the ones also doing PEFs? Basically, if a program doesnt look at PEFs, at least those faculty are featured in my PPIs so I cover all my bases?

Out of curiosity, what kinds of Qs are on PPI..I know they have certain criteria listed (team player, leader, communication skills, etc..)

I applied to 20 GPRs, which was overkill I turned down 7 or so interviews.

The pefs should be from your better evaluators since it's more of a traditional LoR...the PPIs take 15 min and are less personal

I honestly don't think a PPI is going to get you in anywhere, just ask someone who is going to give you all great marks.