Pass/Fail Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

animalrie

TAMU c/o 2020!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So next semester (my last semester of undergrad) I'm thinking of taking Anatomy along with a pretty heavy course-load. It's not required for my degree or pre-reqs but I want to take it to familiarize myself with the material/because I think I'll enjoy it. I'm thinking it may be better for my schedule/mental health to take it pass/fail. Is there any downside to this if I don't get into vet school this round and have to reapply?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in domesticated animal anatomy right now and really love it. It's taught by a vet who tries to teach similarly to how she was taught in vet school. It's not easy, and it requires some studying... BUT I think it will be helpful to have at least that base knowledge for vet school! I'm not sure about pass/fail.. if you have a hard course load already, it might be better to buy the book and just study it over the summer instead of taking the actual class (depending on how good your self discipline is). I study probably around 4-5 hours a weekend for our weekly practical-like quiz, but luckily I have more time this semester than I thought I would! Hopefully someone can give more insight about the pass/fail thing, but I don't see it hurting your chances for next cycle as long as you pass.

Last edited:
So next semester (my last semester of undergrad) I'm thinking of taking Anatomy along with a pretty heavy course-load. It's not required for my degree or pre-reqs but I want to take it to familiarize myself with the material/because I think I'll enjoy it. I'm thinking it may be better for my schedule/mental health to take it pass/fail. Is there any downside to this if I don't get into vet school this round and have to reapply?

Thanks!
My one concern about taking it pass/fail is if you aren't accepted this cycle and reapply next year, some schools require anatomy as a pre-req and may not accept it pass/fail. Though I guess if you don't take it at all, you'd be in the same boat.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't quote me on this, but when I was taking a look at different schools' prerequisites and such I think quite a few of them said they didn't accept credit for certain prereq classes taken as pass/fail, so if you were looking for it to contribute towards a school's prerequisites I'm not sure if it would work (someone else might have more knowledge on this though!)

I've also seen some people on here comment that taking an anatomy/physiology course still didn't completely prepare them for anat/phys at the vet school level, or give them a significant advantage over those who didn't take it in undergrad (though this might vary by school, and it definitely wouldn't hurt to come in with a basic knowledge). My feel is that since your semester might be stressful enough that you don't feel you can take anatomy now unless it's pass/fail, maybe you can hold off on it--then if you don't get in this round, you could take it on a regular grading scale on its own (or with any other courses you'd like to take) to serve as a prerequisite credit, and add to your GPA?

My one concern about taking it pass/fail is if you aren't accepted this cycle and reapply next year, some schools require anatomy as a pre-req and may not accept it pass/fail. Though I guess if you don't take it at all, you'd be in the same boat.
What school requires anatomy?

I think Ohio State does now as one of their capstones

Western requires either human or animal A+P (I believe it was Western).

Wow some schools are starting to require anatomy as a pre-req? Do you think it's because they feel that their vet school course load has gotten so heavy that there's no longer room for anatomy? That's how stuff like biochemistry ended up as pre-reqs, right?

Nah, I think some just feel like it's better to come in more prepared when it comes to anatomy/phys since it's pretty stringent...I don't think they'd ever consider dropping it especially since not everyone takes it in undergrad! Personally I'm not sure why (a very few) schools require things like Calc when the vast majority just want algebra and statistics...I wish prereqs were a little more even across the board like Ohio's capstones.

I have not taken general animal anatomy (was originally meant to for my degree, but the class wasn't offered anymore), so I only have Reproductive phys...so I might end up having to take a complete anatomy/phys course for Ohio.

I wish prereqs were a little more even across the board like Ohio's capstones.

Yes. The differences must really suck for people who plan on applying to like 10 schools. :(

Personally I'm not sure why (a very few) schools require things like Calc when the vast majority just want algebra and statistics.

Yeah. I've wondered that myself. Is calculus even used in vet med? What would it be used for?

Yes. The differences must really suck for people who plan on applying to like 10 schools. :(

Yeah. I've wondered that myself. Is calculus even used in vet med? What would it be used for?
That's been my problem, trying to get the right prereqs that will make me eligible for a wider choice of schools...a few days ago I went through VMCAS's school prerequisites list and just highlighted all the schools I have applied to/am already eligible to for future cycles, and marked the ones that I will be able to apply to after taking just one more missing prereq like physics II...definitely not bothering with the ones that require an 8 hour sequence of organic chem or need calc, no way I'm spending more time on that when I already have a pretty wide pool!
And, no idea. From what I've seen of people's posts on here, you'd likely only need to put calculations, algebra, and statistics into practice :shrug:

Wow some schools are starting to require anatomy as a pre-req? Do you think it's because they feel that their vet school course load has gotten so heavy that there's no longer room for anatomy? That's how stuff like biochemistry ended up as pre-reqs, right?
There's no way, even with an anatomy pre-req, that they would remove anatomy from a vet school curriculum. I feel like anatomy and physiology were what I spent all of first year doing. And we still had a biochemistry class first year (in addition to biochemistry being a pre-req). It was nice coming into physio with an undergrad physio under my belt, even if I still had to study like crazy for the tests at least some of the words and basic concepts at least looked familiar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do some schools not require organic chem at all or they just require less of it?
I'm not sure if there are any schools that don't require ANY organic chem (since most specify biochem and that in turn usually requires Ochem), but there are definitely ones that require more than others. Most of the ones I have looked at only require one Ochem class (or class plus lab, I will be taking lab in the spring for WSU) so 3-5 hours, but there are other schools that require 6-8 hours' worth of Ochem class/labs...the class I took was a single-semester 3hr course so those schools are out of my potential list.

And we still had a biochemistry class first year (in addition to biochemistry being a pre-req).
Dang, I knew anatomy/physiology was a big deal in the first year vet school curriculum but had no idea that biochem has its own specific class too! here I was thinking I was out of the woods... :p

Nope. Well, I never used it. The math in vet school is really quite straightforward. Calculating medication doses and sometimes acid base buffer things. And that doesn't use calculus. I'm not particularly good at math and I'm terrible at physics. Worst pre-reqs for me. But I never had any math related issues in vet school.

I suppose you could get fancy and use calculus for something, but I don't know what that'd be.

Dang, I knew anatomy/physiology was a big deal in the first year vet school curriculum but had no idea that biochem has its own specific class too! here I was thinking I was out of the woods... :p

I found it to be less annoying than undergrad biochem. And it's more of a class to get everyone on the same page since people are coming from different backgrounds\different schools have different biochem agendas. They do a pretty good job of starting at the basics for everyone.

FWIW, taking undergrad anatomy isn't going to give you that much of an edge in vet school. It's a whole different level of depth in vet school. And lots more of it - and faster. (At least that's what my classmates said.) I didn't take any prior to school and was fine. After the first couple weeks, pretty much everyone is feeling like they're in new territory - regardless of previous classes. So if it's not a requirement for you, don't stress if you don't take it. If you are taking it, pay attention to what helps you learn the material the fastest. That's probably the most valuable thing to learn.

I'm not sure if there are any schools that don't require ANY organic chem (since most specify biochem and that in turn usually requires Ochem), but there are definitely ones that require more than others. Most of the ones I have looked at only require one Ochem class (or class plus lab, I will be taking lab in the spring for WSU) so 3-5 hours, but there are other schools that require 6-8 hours' worth of Ochem class/labs...the class I took was a single-semester 3hr course so those schools are out of my potential list.

IF it makes you feel any better, we did biochem for only 10 lectures! I hated those 10 lectures, but still :p

Reactions: 1 users
I think Ohio State does now as one of their capstones

Ohio State requires physiology as one of the capstones (and have issues with accepting it if it's incorporated with an anatomy course...)

We're being tested on lectures 24-44 for biochem today, and we still have one more test after this.
It was on our midterm and our cumulative final mixed in with everything else. At that point, I could barely differentiate between what subject was what...my brain was mush

Do some schools not require organic chem at all or they just require less of it?

There are 13 schools that require either one semester or biochemistry that requires a semester. Those are the only schools that I can apply to cause organic 2 at my undergrad is a no go

Oh so, organic 1 is a prerequisite for biochemistry but organic 2 is not? Maybe that led to my confusion. I used to think that the only reason you took organic at all was to show schools that you could handle a class where a lot of information comes at you really fast.

Oh so, organic 1 is a prerequisite for biochemistry but organic 2 is not? Maybe that led to my confusion. I used to think that the only reason you took organic at all was to show schools that you could handle a class where a lot of information comes at you really fast.
I think it depends on the school and how you want to go about getting pre-reqs completed. Michigan State requires orgo II for their pre-professional geared biochemistry course (the one that crams the two semester sequence into one semester). Most pre-vets take that course because it satisfies the biochem requirement for all schools, and most schools require organic chem II anyways. The two semester sequence of biochem still requires organic I and II, but I don't think that applies to all schools. A few distance students got hung up on the orgo II requirement for MSU since we were one of the few schools to offer online biochem.

I think it depends on the school and how you want to go about getting pre-reqs completed. Michigan State requires orgo II for their pre-professional geared biochemistry course (the one that crams the two semester sequence into one semester). Most pre-vets take that course because it satisfies the biochem requirement for all schools, and most schools require organic chem II anyways. The two semester sequence of biochem still requires organic I and II, but I don't think that applies to all schools. A few distance students got hung up on the orgo II requirement for MSU since we were one of the few schools to offer online biochem.

Ehh, most is pushing it. 13 don't require Organic II and 17 do. Pretty decent split one way or the other. The two semester sequences for both my undergrad and at Metro of Denver only require Organic I, so that is totally undergrad dependent as well. I feel like the first semester of biochem from most undergrads suffices for nearly all vet schools. Very few seem to require a two semester sequence of biochem (Texas A&M is the only one I can think of right now).

Ehh, most is pushing it. 13 don't require Organic II and 17 do. Pretty decent split one way or the other. The two semester sequences for both my undergrad and at Metro of Denver only require Organic I, so that is totally undergrad dependent as well. I feel like the first semester of biochem from most undergrads suffices for nearly all vet schools. Very few seem to require a two semester sequence of biochem (Texas A&M is the only one I can think of right now).
17 schools requiring it over 13 means most to me lol. For me, organic didn't provide any background info for biochemistry at all, so I've always thought it was a useless prereq to a prereq in that regard. I'm sure it varies from school to school, and maybe @Pugsforlove2014 has a different opinion on it since she seemed to actually like that course :)vomit:).

I loved ochem! But my SO teaches supplemental instructions for it so he helped me a lot. I loved biochem too, but I still made a C in it :(

I loved ochem! But my SO teaches supplemental instructions for it so he helped me a lot. I loved biochem too, but I still made a C in it :(
I really liked gen chem (I like the math puzzles), nutrition (although I feel like most people like that), and genetics (minus the professor who was barred from teaching the course after he **** on us). Most pre-reqs are overall enjoyable.

I think TAMU doesn't require this anymore either! They very sneakily got rid of the second semester sometime in the last year (after I took biochem II of course...)

I really liked gen chem (I like the math puzzles), nutrition (although I feel like most people like that), and genetics (minus the professor who was barred from teaching the course after he **** on us). Most pre-reqs are overall enjoyable.

HATED gen chem lol!! I like nutrition a lot, but really didn't care for genetics. I do a lot of stuff with genetics now in my research lab, and learn way more they way then I did in the class. My teacher was god awful, but apparently all the genetics professors at my school are horrid. I like my classes for the most part (zoology major), and the prereqs weren't too bad at all I feel! Not a huge fan of physics but it was doable (made B's in both). I really enjoyed technical writing. I'm taking cell bio next semester for my major and for auburn's cell bio requirement.. And it's supposed to be the hardest undergrad bio class at my school so I'm terrified :(
One thing I really hate about many prereqs is that it's mainly the luck of the draw. If I would have taken physics one semester earlier, I would have made an easy A (literally 90% of the class made an A), whereas only 5 people out of 80 made an A in my class. And my biochem class was a similar situation. There are easy teachers or hard teachers at my school, and unfortunately the easy ones don't always work with my schedule. It doesn't go for all classes, but I feel like a lot are this way, especially for classes that lots of people need to take (chem, physics, stats, etc). I think you learn more in harder classes because you MUST spend more time studying, but unfortunately admissions doesn't see how much you learn, they only see the letter grade on your transcript :(

I couldn't do calculus.. Had to drop it after miserably failing the first test (even after tutoring). Ugh :( thankfully most schools don't need that anymore.

HATED gen chem lol!! I like nutrition a lot, but really didn't care for genetics. I do a lot of stuff with genetics now in my research lab, and learn way more they way then I did in the class. My teacher was god awful, but apparently all the genetics professors at my school are horrid. I like my classes for the most part (zoology major), and the prereqs weren't too bad at all I feel! Not a huge fan of physics but it was doable (made B's in both). I really enjoyed technical writing. I'm taking cell bio next semester for my major and for auburn's cell bio requirement.. And it's supposed to be the hardest undergrad bio class at my school so I'm terrified :(
One thing I really hate about many prereqs is that it's mainly the luck of the draw. If I would have taken physics one semester earlier, I would have made an easy A (literally 90% of the class made an A), whereas only 5 people out of 80 made an A in my class. And my biochem class was a similar situation. There are easy teachers or hard teachers at my school, and unfortunately the easy ones don't always work with my schedule. It doesn't go for all classes, but I feel like a lot are this way, especially for classes that lots of people need to take (chem, physics, stats, etc). I think you learn more in harder classes because you MUST spend more time studying, but unfortunately admissions doesn't see how much you learn, they only see the letter grade on your transcript :(
MSU's cell bio was supposed to be the hardest undegrad class as well, but I didn't think that was true once I took it. One of my first posts on SDN was about how frustrated I was with the lack of consistency among schools and within the same school in regards to material covered/difficulty in equivalent/the same courses. It is an immensely frustrating part about competing for seats in any professional program.

Ochem was tough for me (had to work hard to swing a C, that class offered many opportunities to make up points), and biochem was my worst course of all...it was much more enjoyable when I retook it down here last fall though, because the teacher was really nice and cared about us all knowing the material! I still like it more than general chem in a love/hate kinda way, because it had a bit more of a..."practical application" kinda feel, being related to life science. The general non-animal specific science prereqs like inorganic chem and physics felt like a chore, though microbio was tough exams but interesting lab. I enjoyed most of the animal sci prereqs (other than those with really boring or tough profs).

I don't think I would mind if I have to end up taking an anatomy and/or physio course, it seems interesting! (then again I haven't experienced the workload :p )

MSU's cell bio was supposed to be the hardest undegrad class as well, but I didn't think that was true once I took it. One of my first posts on SDN was about how frustrated I was with the lack of consistency among schools and within the same school in regards to material covered/difficulty in equivalent/the same courses. It is an immensely frustrating part about competing for seats in any professional program.

It really is!! I took micro last year with a new professor who was the worst professor I have ever had the displeasure of taking a class with. He got denied tenure because of his horrible student reviews (according to the dean I had multiple meetings with during the semester). Any ways, I ended up making a D in it (a 69.6), even with a 95 in the extremely time consuming and difficult lab. My lab partner was accepted to med school with a 4.0 gpa and ended up with a C in the class. The lab for the class was only worth 20%. I retook micro with a different professor the next semester, and made an A+. I ended up learning WAY more in that class because the first time around I was so desperate the memorize the insanely tiny and conspicuous details from over 700 slides per test. Anyways, the lab for that class was worth 35%. I was so mad because it's in the same department at the same school. How could there be that much of a difference with grade distribution? I feel like it should be more standardized.. But oh well :(

It really is!! I took micro last year with a new professor who was the worst professor I have ever had the displeasure of taking a class with. He got denied tenure because of his horrible student reviews (according to the dean I had multiple meetings with during the semester). Any ways, I ended up making a D in it (a 69.6), even with a 95 in the extremely time consuming and difficult lab. My lab partner was accepted to med school with a 4.0 gpa and ended up with a C in the class. The lab for the class was only worth 20%. I retook micro with a different professor the next semester, and made an A+. I ended up learning WAY more in that class because the first time around I was so desperate the memorize the insanely tiny and conspicuous details from over 700 slides per test. Anyways, the lab for that class was worth 35%. I was so mad because it's in the same department at the same school. How could there be that much of a difference with grade distribution? I feel like it should be more standardized.. But oh well :(
See, and I practically snoozed through our micro class and easily got a 4.0 (no lab involved), although someone else who took the same class may have felt differently.

For me, organic didn't provide any background info for biochemistry at all, so I've always thought it was a useless prereq to a prereq in that regard.

Speaking of that, I found this:

"Minimal Impact of Organic Chemistry Prerequisite on Student Performance in Introductory Biochemistry
Curriculum design assumes that successful completion of prerequisite courses will have a positive impact on student performance in courses that require the prerequisite. We recently had the opportunity to test this assumption concerning the relationship between completion of the organic chemistry prerequisite and performance in introductory biochemistry. We found no statistically significant differences between average biochemistry grades or grade distribution among students with or without the organic chemistry prerequisite. However, students who had not completed the organic chemistry prerequisite before biochemistry were more likely to withdraw from the course than those who had completed the prerequisite. In contrast to the lack of correlation between performance in biochemistry and completion of organic chemistry, we observed a strong, highly significant positive relationship between cumulative GPA and the biochemistry grade. Our data suggest that excluding students without organic chemistry would have less positive impact on student success in biochemistry than would providing additional support for all students who enroll in biochemistry with a cumulative GPA below 2.5."

Read more: http://www.lifescied.org/content/8/1/44.full

--------

Did any of you other guys find organic chemistry helpful?

Speaking of that, I found this:

"Minimal Impact of Organic Chemistry Prerequisite on Student Performance in Introductory Biochemistry
Curriculum design assumes that successful completion of prerequisite courses will have a positive impact on student performance in courses that require the prerequisite. We recently had the opportunity to test this assumption concerning the relationship between completion of the organic chemistry prerequisite and performance in introductory biochemistry. We found no statistically significant differences between average biochemistry grades or grade distribution among students with or without the organic chemistry prerequisite. However, students who had not completed the organic chemistry prerequisite before biochemistry were more likely to withdraw from the course than those who had completed the prerequisite. In contrast to the lack of correlation between performance in biochemistry and completion of organic chemistry, we observed a strong, highly significant positive relationship between cumulative GPA and the biochemistry grade. Our data suggest that excluding students without organic chemistry would have less positive impact on student success in biochemistry than would providing additional support for all students who enroll in biochemistry with a cumulative GPA below 2.5."

Read more: http://www.lifescied.org/content/8/1/44.full

--------

Did any of you other guys find organic chemistry helpful?
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person out there that feels I would have done just as poorly in biochem without organic as a pre-req lol

In regards to the original question, could you audit the course? I never audited a course, so I'm not sure what the rules are, and I could imagine most schools won't let you audit a course with a lab.

That's an interesting idea...I'll look into it. Thanks for all of the input! I've decided I'd rather not spend my last semester of undergrad stressed about a heavy course-load so I'll be taking Interpersonal Communications instead of Anatomy (which I hope may be even more beneficial in the long run...).

I took Interpersonal at LSU for their communication/speech prereq. I think it should be good for most other schools' comm requirements too so that's a good choice of an easy class :)

I took anatomy in undergrad (one semester) and we were beyond my knowledge by two or three weeks into vet school. Ultimately it wasn't that helpful but having taken it in undergrad did make the transition to veterinary school speed anatomy easier because I was already comfortable with what we were discussing in lecture.

I was always curious what the differences between vet school and undergrad anatomy were. Is it like comparing big Millers to something like this?

I was always curious what the differences between vet school and undergrad anatomy were. Is it like comparing big Millers to something like this?
A lot of my classmates actually use the various coloring books out there as supplementary learning material. A coloring book sounds childish, but some of them are actually really in-depth.

Didn't take undergrad so I don't know. But in vet school you basically memorize this entire thing. At least that's what we had. I will second that coloring books are quite helpful too.

off topic: oooh, I just hit 1,001 posts!! :D small celebration dance. Maybe I should get out more ;)

Didn't take undergrad so I don't know. But in vet school you basically memorize this entire thing. At least that's what we had. I will second that coloring books are quite helpful too.

off topic: oooh, I just hit 1,001 posts!! :D small celebration dance. Maybe I should get out more ;)
We use Evans here! And Dyce. I must say that both frustrate me. Neither provide images that are of much help when you're really stuck.

I may be repeating stuff (sorry) but...if the school that you are applying to doesnt require it, I would pass/fail it. My school offers a free online basic anatomy course the summer before you begin. It is self taught with online quizzes but it isnt graded. I did half of the modules with minimal effort and it helped ALOT with the basics (heart flow, terms, skull bones) when class started. You will still need to spend hours studying (and even more hours in the lab) but it will help. It will also be comforting to see something familiar during your first few classes with your teachers throwing out terms that sound like gibberish haha.

Also, if you dont go straight to vet school (for whatever reason) keep your notes. Anatomy is most effective the summer before vet school begins. So if you take time off, still revisit your notes/books before you go.

Hope this helps.

A lot of my classmates actually use the various coloring books out there as supplementary learning material. A coloring book sounds childish, but some of them are actually really in-depth.

I have the coloring book I linked to (and the horse one) and I used to use them. When I got them, they blew my mind (in a good way), because they were so much more detailed than any anatomy reference I'd had before. That, however, was before I laid eyes on big millers (Miller's Anatomy of the Dog). After thumbing through that 872 page tome, my coloring books seemed like nothing.

I'm not knocking the coloring books, though. I think they're a nice introduction! Beautifully drawn pictures and coloring them was relaxing! And the flavor text was welcome. Reading Millers is like reading the dictionary. Gets so boring so fast. I only used it to look stuff up when my more user-friendly references were confusing me. For THAT, it was awesome.

I think that book is big Millers with the non-clinical anatomy removed and dissection instructions added in? If that's correct then I guess vet school isn't cruel enough to make you guys learn everything there is to know about dog anatomy? They at least let you keep your studies more or less clinically relevant?

oooh, I just hit 1,001 posts!! :D small celebration dance.

Woo! Let's all celebrate!

694728_original.gif

We use Evans here! And Dyce. I must say that both frustrate me. Neither provide images that are of much help when you're really stuck.

The diagrams in big Millers are pretty clear, IMO. But little Millers might be just as good...lailanni is the one experienced with that book so maybe they can chime in. :)

Have you looked at CSU's virtual canine anatomy? It's free online. And in pretty darn good detail for the stuff that's hard to capture in textbooks. And it's easy. Just click on the structure and virtually all the info you need to know on it pops up.

https://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/vetneuro/VCA3/vca.html

Before amputations and major mass removals for things like mast cell tumors and soft tissue sarcomas, i still use this software to make sure I know what is where and what structures to avoid while going over the surgery ahead of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I forgot all about CSU's virtual anatomy. +1 for mentioning it

Being able to rotate in 3D is a godsend.

Oh, there's also this book, but I don't know if the virtual anatomy eliminates your need for it. A nice thing about it, though, is that most of the dissections were done on fresh specimens, so it looks more like what you'd see during surgery.

Last edited: