pass/fail classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Igor4sugry

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently taking an English composition course at PITT as an undergrad. I have the option of taking it as an s/n class. Meaning, if I get C and above, I will get three credits, and "satisfactory" on my transcript. If I fail, then I won't get any credit, but my QPA will not be affected either. This option is very appealing to me because I know that I won't get anything higher than a B, and I don't want my QPA to go down.

My question is: How do admission counselors look at students who take the s/n option?
 
Igor4sugry said:
I am currently taking an English composition course at PITT as an undergrad. I have the option of taking it as an s/n class. Meaning, if I get C and above, I will get three credits, and "satisfactory" on my transcript. If I fail, then I won't get any credit, but my QPA will not be affected either. This option is very appealing to me because I know that I won't get anything higher than a B, and I don't want my QPA to go down.

My question is: How do admission counselors look at students who take the s/n option?

For most med schools, two semesters of english are required as a prerequisite. If you are using this course as part of your prereqs, I would think you realy need to take it for a grade. If not (i.e. you already have a year of English), I doubt adcoms will care, as long as your GPA is otherwise solid, and your transcript indicates that you don't make a habit of taking classes pass fail.