pass/fail classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Igor4sugry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently taking an English composition course at PITT as an undergrad. I have the option of taking it as an s/n class. Meaning, if I get C and above, I will get three credits, and "satisfactory" on my transcript. If I fail, then I won't get any credit, but my QPA will not be affected either. This option is very appealing to me because I know that I won't get anything higher than a B, and I don't want my QPA to go down.

My question is: How do admission counselors look at students who take the s/n option?

Members don't see this ad.

Igor4sugry said:
I am currently taking an English composition course at PITT as an undergrad. I have the option of taking it as an s/n class. Meaning, if I get C and above, I will get three credits, and "satisfactory" on my transcript. If I fail, then I won't get any credit, but my QPA will not be affected either. This option is very appealing to me because I know that I won't get anything higher than a B, and I don't want my QPA to go down.

My question is: How do admission counselors look at students who take the s/n option?

For most med schools, two semesters of english are required as a prerequisite. If you are using this course as part of your prereqs, I would think you realy need to take it for a grade. If not (i.e. you already have a year of English), I doubt adcoms will care, as long as your GPA is otherwise solid, and your transcript indicates that you don't make a habit of taking classes pass fail.