Pass/Fail Rates for CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keiki

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
interesting for those of you planning on getting licensed in CA... these stats are from june 2002.

Pass/Fail Rates for CA

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! Very interesting indeed....needless to say, when this came out, it caused quite a ruckus in my class, but I'll leave it at that! ;)

R u trying to get back to CA LV?

Members don't see this ad :)
A good portion of my class wants to go back, but I'm not entirely sure if I really want to. Of course, I'd like to sit for the California board ASAP while my knowledge is still fresh, but I do like it here in LV...low cost of living, relatively affordable housing, and the weather really isn't that bad here (except for June to October when it's "furnace hot" :laugh: ). I also have my "foot in the door" at a local hospital, so that's an added incentive to stay. Maybe I'll change my mind when I do my 3rd year rotations in CA, so I really don't know right now.

Yeah, this other friend of mine wanted to go to UNLV in a bad way. She only applied to three yr progs. and that was her first choice, but it looks like she's been WLd there. She's gearing up for this next cycle.

The minute i figure out my own sitch, i'm gonna try and help her.

When do you take the boards? What are they like?

CA boards? probably the earliest I can take it would be the January dates after I graduate in the summer of 2005.

If you want a taste of the pain your headed for, check this out:

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/pdfs2/rph_app_pkt2.pdf

the exam breakdown starts at the bottom of page 6; two part exam over two days. :eek:

I talked to a Rite-Aid floater about a week ago who had just recently found out she didn't pass the CA boards...she looked on the verge of tears when she told me. She graduated from Long Island a year ago (I think that's what she said) and was looking forward to getting back to Southern California to practice. NV seems to be the closest to CA some of these out of state graduates who desire to return can practice in while waiting for the CA board results. I've met several besides the lady I just mentioned.

The NAPLEX is kinda like the GRE general exam in that it's "computer adaptive", with scenarios in a multiple choice format.

We will have to see how well your classmates do on the CA boards this year. If they do well, I guarantee a lot more prepharm students are going to apply over there.

LVpharm,

Is UNLV still iv'ing applicants?

I saw UF had 100% passing rate for the CA boards. That's pretty cool, in case I ever want to move back to CA.

I found their stats from 2001 on their web page, though they don't mention how many took the CA exam for that year.

NABP results for first time candidates from the University of Florida
for the test window of May 1, 2001, through August 31, 2001.

Number of candidates = 101
Number of candidates passing = 100
UF passing = 99%
State passing rate = 95.52%
National passing rate = 96.75%
State average = 102.85
National average = 103.35
UF average = 110.49

Rishk:
The class of 2003 that will soon be graduating is a class of about 37 students...I just don't know how representative their success will be of the program as a whole, since the curriculum has been continuously evolving since they came in (successive classes will have been taught somewhat differently). This "fine tuning" can only be a good thing...the changes made to classes are often based on the evaluations from the previous class.

Just as a comparison of similar programs, Western U's first graduating PharmD class had a relatively high pass rate on the California boards, but they started with a small class too. Ironically, our current founding Dean was also the founding Dean at Western's PharmD program. When he left Western to start-up our school....well, look what happened to their scores... (that was why there was a "ruckus" amongst my classmates) I hope for the best! ;)

Triangulation:
NVCP just finished the final round of interviews. We had ~800 applicants, ~400 interviews, for ~100 seats. I don't know if acceptance letters have been mailed out yet.