Pass/Fail vs. Graded -->Step Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-med2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying to medical school this cycle and am seriously confused about what it takes to match a competitive specialty like derm. My understanding is that Step scores are really important.

If given the option between pass/fail school vs. graded a/b/c, what's the better option? Do you think being forced to study extra would result in high step, and if I go to pass/ fail, I will slack off and end up with a low step 2 score?

Second question, how important is it to have a home residency to match derm? I've seen some schools with no home programs match rlly well. how do they even make the connections??

Members don't see this ad.

Preclinical grade don't matter to PDs.

What they want to see are good Step II scores, good MSPEs and letters. Add publications in the field for some specialties, like Ortho, Dern, Heme/Once.

I suggest that you concentrate on getting into med school, rather than a specific specialty. Most med students change their minds anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
Preclinical grade don't matter to PDs.

What they want to see are good Step II scores, good MSPEs and letters. Add publications in the field for some specialties, like Ortho, Dern, Heme/Once.

I suggest that you concentrate on getting into med school, rather than a specific specialty. Most med students change their minds anyway.
Absolutely. Makes sense. I was just thinking about a situation where I had to choose btwn a school with pass fail vs. grading. If I understand correctly, despite having possible b's or lower grades in pre-clinical that would not put me at a disadvantage?

Do you think that by having grades in place that would set me up for success in scoring high on step 2 or is the content different. I heard the class exams and step content can vary drastically. and if you have any input on my 2nd question that would be great. thanks so much for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely. Makes sense. I was just thinking about a situation where I had to choose btwn a school with pass fail vs. grading. If I understand correctly, despite having possible b's or lower grades in pre-clinical that would not put me at a disadvantage?
Nope. Again, PDs don't care about that.
Do you think that by having grades in place that would set me up for success in scoring high on step 2 or is the content different. I heard the class exams and step content can vary drastically. and if you have any input on my 2nd question that would be great. thanks so much for the info.
Step 2 is much more about your clinical thinking skills, so is a reflection of post- preclinical training.

Reactions: 1 user

If there was any evidence that a particular pre clinical curriculum or grading system significantly improved step 2 scores, I am sure every school would be doing it.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't put more work on yourself for the hell of it, you'll be busy enough. Why would anyone choose graded over P/F?

• Love
If there was any evidence that a particular pre clinical curriculum or grading system significantly improved step 2 scores, I am sure every school would be doing it.
One of the grails of medical education. Of course we supplement "the curriculum" with other resources so it is too hard to isolate the impact of the curriculum anymore. All we do is give you practice with simulated exam questions until you dream those questions in your naps between classes or shifts. 😉

Last edited:
Don't put more work on yourself for the hell of it, you'll be busy enough. Why would anyone choose graded over P/F?

School that comes to mind is UCFCOM. Graded pre clinical and some of the highest board scores. So my thought process was the extra studying gets u there haha

Reactions: 1 user
I go to a P/F school and it is SUCH a massive difference in quality of life compared to those that have a graded preclinical.

Reactions: 4 users