Passed Naplex after Failure/Naplex Variance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TMir

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am happy to share that I have passed Naplex!!! I have turned to SDF almost mulitiple times a day after I failed Naplex twice. I would like to share my store and hopefully encourage those who are or will be in my shoes and hopefully to prevent future student for repeasting the same mistakes.

I took the Naplex 3 times. I was an average student in school and I was a really good crammer. Everyone down played the naplex to me. Most of all my friends plassed the naplex with minimum studying. Therefore, I only studied math and some of the main chapters. I took my first naplex few days before it changed in Nov. 2015. Unfortunately I failed with a score of 74! Its was the worst time of my life!! It was greatly depressing! BTW I was a student who got married at age 22 in the end of my 3rd year in pharmacy school (I don't regret a day of it). I am only trying to share how depressing it was for me. I had almost made an offer on buying a house for my wife and I (hopefully trying to move my wife and I out of my dads large family home). Everything just crubled in front of me! I couldn't believe it! I usually always worked 60-70 hours after graduation to be able to save up for a down payment. That had a lot to do with my failure! I continued to do the same while studying for my second attempt, to assure that I will have money to buy all the furnitures for our house. Also, that I was only 1 point away and I though I can study more and just make it.! It was my worse mistake. Second time I got a 67! I couldn't believe how hard they had made the naplex! The cases were much more multi disease state related! Then almost two and half weeks after I was let go of because I failed to get licensed within 90 days of my graduation! It was terrible!! That is when I decided, the hell with everything! I need to be FOCUSED! I have hurt myself and those very close to me! I cadnnot let this happen for the third time!! I ordered the Rxprep 2016 book and I got access to the online test bank and lecture! I recieved the book Jan 21st, 2016. I started to go through the book chapter by chapter only listening to the lecture and taking down notes on a seperate paper. I did this for the whole book for 3 weeks, then I read the book myself and perfected the notes I took from the video for the next 2 weeks. Then I memorized everything from my notes for the next 1 week. After that all I did for the next 3 Weeks was PRACTICE QUESTIONS!!! NON STOP!! I did that ALL DAY. I usualy studyed 8- 10 hours a day!. I knew my notes like the back of my hand. The week before I knew I KNOW all the material, but most importantly I know how to take the DAMN test! I did nothing but practice questions. The day before my exam I took the RXprep full 4 hour practice test without the review portion on. I scored a 79. On the test day, I asked my wife to drop me off this time. On my way there, I studied through Quizlet that other people had posted. I took the exam and that crap was definitly hard and it kept getting harder. I came home scared out of my mind! WHAT if i Failed again!! 3 days after the exam, I had to call NAPB because my score was not released. They asked me to wait 7 days. After the 7th day I oddly recieved an email form NAPB saying that there was a score varience. They said that I had met their minimum expectations or excided them. They requested that I share with them if and how I studied. I couldn't believe they were making me go though this waiting period. I sent them all my notes and everything I did diffently to study. I send them multiple pictures of all my notes and books on MY table. Then after another 7 days (making me wait for a totel of 14 days) that I passed with a 108!! It was the happiest time of my life. To see that after all you can only trust that HARD WORK always pays off!

Please for anyone that has failed, you can do it!

I am looking for a way to share all my notes because the file is too large (I took 49 pictures). I was able to condence each chapter to almost half a page of what you must memorize.

please excuse any spelling or grammer mistake. I am not proof reading this. I had to get this out to those that need it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 24 users
Congrats on passing the NAPLEX! As someone who's retaking the NAPLEX for the 2nd time I'm scared to death and really want to make sure I pass the NAPLEX this time so your explanation is really helpful. I have a way to reduce the picture size down to at least 40% of it's original size without compromising picture quality if you want me to do it for you? As for sharing the files, I think using DropBox or OneDrive would help.

where did you do the practice questions? did you just do the rxprep qbank questions over and over again?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank a lot for sharing your experience TMir. Your story and notes really wake me up to think seriously about this exam. A lot of people told me that they would only need 3 weeks for studying. I don't think so. This exam is not a joke. I need to pass this exam to keep the job offer. Otherwise, life will be upside down.

TMir, you're great. Hope you find the job offer again.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on passing the NAPLEX! As someone who's retaking the NAPLEX for the 2nd time I'm scared to death and really want to make sure I pass the NAPLEX this time so your explanation is really helpful. I have a way to reduce the picture size down to at least 40% of it's original size without compromising picture quality if you want me to do it for you? As for sharing the files, I think using DropBox or OneDrive would help.
I am happy to share that I have passed Naplex!!! I have turned to SDF almost mulitiple times a day after I failed Naplex twice. I would like to share my store and hopefully encourage those who are or will be in my shoes and hopefully to prevent future student for repeasting the same mistakes.

I took the Naplex 3 times. I was an average student in school and I was a really good crammer. Everyone down played the naplex to me. Most of all my friends plassed the naplex with minimum studying. Therefore, I only studied math and some of the main chapters. I took my first naplex few days before it changed in Nov. 2015. Unfortunately I failed with a score of 74! Its was the worst time of my life!! It was greatly depressing! BTW I was a student who got married at age 22 in the end of my 3rd year in pharmacy school (I don't regret a day of it). I am only trying to share how depressing it was for me. I had almost made an offer on buying a house for my wife and I (hopefully trying to move my wife and I out of my dads large family home). Everything just crubled in front of me! I couldn't believe it! I usually always worked 60-70 hours after graduation to be able to save up for a down payment. That had a lot to do with my failure! I continued to do the same while studying for my second attempt, to assure that I will have money to buy all the furnitures for our house. Also, that I was only 1 point away and I though I can study more and just make it.! It was my worse mistake. Second time I got a 67! I couldn't believe how hard they had made the naplex! The cases were much more multi disease state related! Then almost two and half weeks after I was let go of because I failed to get licensed within 90 days of my graduation! It was terrible!! That is when I decided, the hell with everything! I need to be FOCUSED! I have hurt myself and those very close to me! I cadnnot let this happen for the third time!! I ordered the Rxprep 2016 book and I got access to the online test bank and lecture! I recieved the book Jan 21st, 2016. I started to go through the book chapter by chapter only listening to the lecture and taking down notes on a seperate paper. I did this for the whole book for 3 weeks, then I read the book myself and perfected the notes I took from the video for the next 2 weeks. Then I memorized everything from my notes for the next 1 week. After that all I did for the next 3 Weeks was PRACTICE QUESTIONS!!! NON STOP!! I did that ALL DAY. I usualy studyed 8- 10 hours a day!. I knew my notes like the back of my hand. The week before I knew I KNOW all the material, but most importantly I know how to take the DAMN test! I did nothing but practice questions. The day before my exam I took the RXprep full 4 hour practice test without the review portion on. I scored a 79. On the test day, I asked my wife to drop me off this time. On my way there, I studied through Quizlet that other people had posted. I took the exam and that crap was definitly hard and it kept getting harder. I came home scared out of my mind! WHAT if i Failed again!! 3 days after the exam, I had to call NAPB because my score was not released. They asked me to wait 7 days. After the 7th day I oddly recieved an email form NAPB saying that there was a score varience. They said that I had met their minimum expectations or excided them. They requested that I share with them if and how I studied. I couldn't believe they were making me go though this waiting period. I sent them all my notes and everything I did diffently to study. I send them multiple pictures of all my notes and books on MY table. Then after another 7 days (making me wait for a totel of 14 days) that I passed with a 108!! It was the happiest time of my life. To see that after all you can only trust that HARD WORK always pays off!

I am looking for a way to share all my notes because the file is too large (I took 49 pictures). I was able to condence each chapter to almost half a page of what you must memorize.

please excuse any spelling or grammer mistake. I am not proof reading this. I had to get this out to those that need it!

People downplay the NAPLEX because the threshold to pass was (?) so low but if they raised the bar on the exam to make it so only 20% passed (and you only needed to move the cutoff from 75 to 100 for the old version of the exam before the new changes), I'm sure there would be a lot less false bravado.

When the cost of failure is so high, what is a few weeks of studying?

Last edited:

hello congrats on passing your test.....am happy for you and excited for you......which materials did you use for the calculations, especially the hospital maths questions...?.......thank you so much for sharing your notes, they are of great help......can u pls email your notes to me cos am having problems printing them....thanks once again.

Members don't see this ad :)

am sorry i forgot to send you my email address: [email protected].........thanks.

Oh man, I've been so caught up with work and studying that I didn't realize you had posted your study notes a month ago. Thanks! I'll see if I can reduce the size and post up the link here.

Anyone who has taken the NAPLEX... are the questions similar format to the RxPrep questions? SO many of them are choose all that apply. Approximately what percentage of the questions on the NAPLEX are similar to that?

Hello! I want to thank you for your honesty and testing tips. I have failed the NAPLEX as well. Have you thought of mentoring? I would love if maybe you can mentor me if your open to it just through email. I'm looking to restudy for the NAPlex and any help or support will be beneficial. Please let me know!

I have lots of notes/important tables that i made when i studied for naplex. Unfortunately i didnt take all the pictures, some tables i wrote down, some i made on computer. If u need help to study or any questions, feel free to contact me.

All the best

I really appreciate you sharing the information...It is rare to find out someone doing this for a whole bunch of strangers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I made the mistake of listening to those who kept downplaying how easy naplex is. They would only say that after they have taken the exam... and over-prepared ... Turns out most of my friends studied hardcore (8-10 hours a day for 6-8 weeks)... where as I half-assed, barely covered 1/3 of rxprep book for 2 weeks....

Your story is every motivating. (Although failing naplex in itself is a huge motivation haha)

what in the world is meant by score variance? I've never heard of such a thing where NABP calls the candidate and asks such questions...

I had to call NAPB because my score was not released. They asked me to wait 7 days. After the 7th day I oddly recieved an email form NAPB saying that there was a score varience. They said that I had met their minimum expectations or excided them. They requested that I share with them if and how I studied. I couldn't believe they were making me go though this waiting period. I sent them all my notes and everything I did diffently to study. I send them multiple pictures of all my notes and books on MY table. Then after another 7 days (making me wait for a totel of 14 days) that I passed with a 108!! It was the happiest time of my life. To see that after all you can only trust that HARD WORK always pays off!

I'm in the same boat with the MPJE. Did you have to wait 7 and 14 calendar days or business days??

Since we don't have complete data yet for the pass rate for the Nov 2015 NAPLEX version (since majority took it before this change last year), anyone else think we will be seeing a drastically lower pass rate once the data is posted later this year?

Hello! I want to thank you for your honesty and testing tips. I have failed the NAPLEX as well. Have you thought of mentoring? I would love if maybe you can mentor me if your open to it just through email. I'm looking to restudy for the NAPlex and any help or support will be beneficial. Please let me know!

I have read your post here, and you asking for mentoring from Tmir, That will be great help if Tmir is available.
I also did not make on first attempt, and I am also looking someone who can motivate me and study to gather until we knock down this NAPLEX.
I am willing to do group study via email, if you dont mind. my email [email protected]
We can ask questions each other and share any important notes/tips that might be helpful to pass on next attempt.
When you planning to take exam again?

Anyone know how long it takes the board and nabp to authorize a retake? Does it take longer than 91 days?

Anyone know how long it takes the board and nabp to authorize a retake? Does it take longer than 91 days?
No. But, everything depends on the individual state board. In Texas, you get a retake packet in the mail within 3 weeks. You have to fill it out perfectly, get it notarized, and include $103. Then about a week for the board to process it.
Just call your state board for details.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and Big Congratulations!!! Would like to know what Quizlet your studied, that was posted? Would like to access that.
Thanks!

I have read your post here, and you asking for mentoring from Tmir, That will be great help if Tmir is available.
I also did not make on first attempt, and I am also looking someone who can motivate me and study to gather until we knock down this NAPLEX.
I am willing to do group study via email, if you dont mind. my email [email protected]
We can ask questions each other and share any important notes/tips that might be helpful to pass on next attempt.
When you planning to take exam again?
I'm looking for a study buddy too. Let me know if you are still interested :)

I'm looking for a study buddy too. Let me know if you are still interested :)

still looking for studying partners?
I didn't pass when I took it in September. I studied hard the first time but the math portion i spend a lot of time on during the test because I didn't practice by timing myself . I lost a lot of time on them and was not able to finish a lot of the questions.
pls let me know if you are still looking for studying partners via email.
thks

As someone who has failed the NAPLEX twice - and only just started to come out of a deep depression as a result of it - I want to thank you and everyone else that posted on this thread. Never give up. School came fairly easily for me. I don't know what happened, but my 5th year (of the 6) I freaked out. I sort of broke down then, and my life had pretty much kept spiraling since then - until only very recently. I blame myself - obviously - for the majority of this. However, it's not always so easy to just pick yourself up and dust yourself off. Not for everyone, anyway. I hope ten years from now when I look back, this mess makes sense in some way. Because if "everything happens for a reason," I'd certainly love to know what that reason is.

-AHalfPint

I received a variance score as well. I'm hoping good news