Path of a Doctor [WI]

JsPham

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched and found a few threads, but they weren't quite exactly what I was looking for.

I am wondering what the path to becoming a PCP would be starting from Junior/Senior year in Highschool and till the end. All I can think of for highschool is good grades.

But than what? I'm thinking about UW Milwaukee, or if I get a scholarship, Madison even. (I doubt I'd pull that off.)

Members don't see this ad.

I searched and found a few threads, but they weren't quite exactly what I was looking for.

I am wondering what the path to becoming a PCP would be starting from Junior/Senior year in Highschool and till the end. All I can think of for highschool is good grades.

There are a plethora of threads on this topic. Please feel free to read through this forum a bit more, as there has been some good information given.

1. HS doesn't matter
2. 4 years of college, do the pre-med course requirements and take the MCAT Junior year. Study 25-30 hours a week for 3 months.
3. 4 years of medical school.
4. 3 years of residency (not including fellowships)

PCP.

But than what? I'm thinking about UW Milwaukee, or if I get a scholarship, Madison even. (I doubt I'd pull that off.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do well in your college coursework, shoot for a 3.7 or higher. Get in some shadowing, do some research, the usual...

Study and take the MCAT, shoot for at least a 30. Read through some 30+ MCAT threads here to get an idea of successful study plans.

Get into medical school, pass the USMLE steps and pass your classes... voila PCP. It's one of the least competitive residencies out there.

I went to UW-Milwaukee and had a great time. Right now, get good grades.

When you get to college, get really good grades. The pre-med advisor at UW-Milwaukee is excellent, by the way. The Honors College at UWM is really good too. They have more merit (grades/ACT-based) scholarships there than when I went. It was a fun school. I miss it.