Pathology job market bad for females?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ludy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently saw these posts on a medschool.com forum devoted to pathology (both were posted by the moderator, a practicing pathologist in Illinois), and I was wondering if anyone had heard similar statements... in path or any other specialty. While I'm not terribly surprised that IMGs have a tough time finding a job after residency, it hadn't occurred to me that female U.S. grads are in a similar situation.

Posted in December 2000:
"Anecdotally, I hear that most white males graduating from decent programs find jobs through "word of mouth" good-old-boy networks while others, such as IMG's and females, may have a difficult time finding jobs anywhere but at large medical school programs at lower than average salaries. This hiring practice is shameful but there is nothing you can do to make three male partners hire a female or IMG or someone of another ethnic persuasion if they've already contacted the nearest residency program and chosen someone most like themselves."

Posted last week:
"AS FOR MY COMMENTS ABOUT WASPy males getting all the jobs, I stand by it, but suggest that those females and non-caucasian individuals who love pathology can find good jobs out there, especially in academic settings and in larger groups where women and foreign-trained graduates are already present. It's the two or three person groups where white males seek individuals most like themselves to work with that are almost impossible to break into."

Members don't see this ad.

Though I do not have a lot of first hand info from all over. The female residents who have graduated from the program I am attending have not had a difficult time finding jobs. I believe if you attend a good residency program you will not have any problems. I know it is hard to do, but try to pick your specialty based on what you like and don't worry much about the job market. I say this for a couple of reasons, there is always jobs for "good" doctors and if you don't pick what you are really drawn too you may deeply regret it when you look back. Also, who can really say what the jbo market is going to be like in 5+ years from now. Look at Anes. for example one year there is not many jobs the next they are paying huge salaries to try to get people. The only reason you would have a problem is if you are only willing to live in a certain area.

Hope this helps, if you have any thing else post or email me. I will help if I can.

how do you define "having a tough time finding a job after a residency"?

I've never heard of any unemployed doctors that couldnt find work ANYWHERE in their field.

Do you mean finding a job within days after completing residency? Or are we talking like earnestly searching for 6 months and still not finding a job?

If its getting that bad in ANY specialty, looks like we do indeed have a physician surplus.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are several surveys supporting the claims of a weak job market, although they are a few years old. One website I found in searching was: Homepage of the Committee for Improvement in the Pathology Job Market .
Again, this may be just one dissident who couldn't find a job, but the ASCP surveys are hard to discount.

My question was more about the job market for females in particular, however, in any specialty.

Looking over the job statistics on Frieda for 1998. I really don't see much of a problem. ~13% were having trouble finding a job at program completion. That is not really that large a percentage considering the very high percentage of non-US grads. And, considering it does not include statistics on the reasons why they had no job offer. Probably a big reason is they needed to stay in the area they were or just had to work in California or the like. And, the survey of path docs after 2 years only had a unemployment rate of 5%. Granted other specialties have better numbers, but these are not that scary. And, all these surveys are old. Even then you can notice between the 1996 survey and the 1998 survey the job market was improving.

I love this site, as you can tell I have chimed in on every subject in the last 3 days since I discovered it. for what it is worth, per my friend's dad who is a pathologist, demand is high and starting salaries are sick right now in pathology, I'm talking 300K and I am not kidding. Believe you me, I tried to follow a pathologist for 4 or 5 times and tried to make myself want to do it, but ultimately I could not. It is considered to be a good ole boy specialty, especially in the sunbelt where I live. But path is sweet right now so don't sweat a job at all. And please try to limit the "can not rule out...." Just kidding, pathology is hard as hell to do because you have to know so damn much. good luck. maybe I can stop my addiction to this website and actually study for my shelf exams.