Pathology program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarah-20

Reaction score
Hello,

In terms of the size of the program, do you prefer small programs or big ones?

And how would you choose between those

Albany
Mount sinai Iacn school
USA south Alabama
George Washington

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

People ask these questions every year. “Rank these programs for me”

Size doesn’t necessarily matter. If you think larger programs will train you better that’s not always the case. You have to take a lot of things into consideration. One of them, which might be most important, is being happy where you are, which takes into consideration the people you will be working with.

Several ahole attendings who don’t teach or ahole coresidents will make your life miserable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have no clue in regards to which of those training programs are better but I would look mainly at quality of teaching and case volumes. Do you have time to preview your cases? Do the attendings teach? Quality of teaching? Are they pleasant to work with? How are the lectures? Are they informative? How’s CP training? That’s important as most places don’t have very good CP training. Do the attendings go out of their way to have morning conferences to go over interesting cases with you?

In short, quality of teaching and willingness of attendings to teach and teach effectively are important factors to consider.

Hello,

In terms of the size of the program, do you prefer small programs or big ones?

And how would you choose between those

Albany
Mount sinai Iacn school
USA south Alabama
George Washington

Thanks
None of these programs are good. You will waste 4 years here building a CV to do apply to likely multiple fellowships somewhere better. If these are your options, consider another specialty like primary care. If you decide to go through with this, go in knowing you will be disadvantaged compared to those coming from good programs and the difference will need to be you working harder to prove yourself and teaching yourself to make up for these programs’ deficiencies.

None of these programs are good. You will waste 4 years here building a CV to do apply to likely multiple fellowships somewhere better. If these are your options, consider another specialty like primary care. If you decide to go through with this, go in knowing you will be disadvantaged compared to those coming from good programs and the difference will need to be you working harder to prove yourself and teaching yourself to make up for these programs’ deficiencies.
Cmon bro. As cynical as I am on this website, you can get a job coming from one of these places. There are a lot of crap programs which we dont need to supply an oversupplied market, but just get your training and go to a strong surgpath fellowship or whatever fellowship you choose. Thats what most people do anyways if you come from a less than stellar program. But yeah we dont need all these programs putting out subpar pathologists I get your point. A lot of waste in pathology.

Last edited:
Where do you want to settle after training? I recommend finding a program in that area. This helps with networking to find a job, but also due to differences in pathology reporting/diagnostics which are geographic and institution-specific.

But I heard that mount Sinai main hospital is a very good program!
Why you said that it is a crap

• Haha
The main Mt. Sinai program is a fine program. Sun Baked Trash has no idea what they are talking about.

Make sure you like NYC. Some people just hate it. Some people love it though.