Patient experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boise State Bronco

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for everyone: I am applying in June but with a full semester and studying for the DAT, what should I do for "patient exposure"? I worked as a Developmental Therapist for over a year: working one on one with patients with mental disorders and keeping record of how they react to certain situations. Do you think this would be enough, or should I do more?

Members don't see this ad.

Question for everyone: I am applying in June but with a full semester and studying for the DAT, what should I do for "patient exposure"? I worked as a Developmental Therapist for over a year: working one on one with patients with mental disorders and keeping record of how they react to certain situations. Do you think this would be enough, or should I do more?

Try to do some dental related volunteering, doesn’t have to be much but it’s a pretty talked about topic in interviews so you want to have something.

Try to do some dental related volunteering, doesn’t have to be much but it’s a pretty talked about topic in interviews so you want to have something.
I've volunteered for a 1 week dental clinic, but mostly I cleaned up for them. I've struggled finding ways to volunteer in the dental field directly, I have 150 hours volunteering in other ways. Any suggestions on how to find ways to volunteer in the dental field?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've volunteered for a 1 week dental clinic, but mostly I cleaned up for them. I've struggled finding ways to volunteer in the dental field directly, I have 150 hours volunteering in other ways. Any suggestions on how to find ways to volunteer in the dental field?

Yeah dental volunteer experiences aren’t really hands on with patients. Usually you just clean. But one good suggestion would be to call your state school (if you have one) and ask them if they have any recommendations. Also asking dentists that you shadow is a good way.

Yeah dental volunteer experiences aren’t really hands on with patients. Usually you just clean. But one good suggestion would be to call your state school (if you have one) and ask them if they have any recommendations. Also asking dentists that you shadow is a good way.

Okay, thanks for the help and suggestions.

OP is a dental therapist and does fillings and extractions on patients, I don't know if shadowing is going to be much more productive than work experience.

EDIT: Misread developmental therapist as dental therapist. Nevermind.

Find a job as a sterile tech or front desk at a "NEW" dental practice. I emphasize "New"... it's a bit easier to find a position. First ask for a shadowing opportunity, then hopefully it'll turn into a part time job. This is what happen'd to me by chance (forever grateful)!

Reactions: 1 user