Patient Interaction in Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alpha Block

MSII
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second year medical student and am interested in Pathology. However, I think I want some (even though it may be limited) patient interaction in my chosen field. Is there ANY patient interaction as a pathologist?

Thanks for your insight!

Members don't see this ad.

We have plenty of threads on this - try the search function and use keywords like "patient" or "Patient contact" or whatever. Limit the search to pathology.

Basically, pathologists can do lots of FNAs (fine needle aspirations biopsies) in which they meet the patient and perform the biopsy, either in a clinic or on the floor. Can also do bone marrow biopsies. There are some pathologists, particularly those who are on the clinical path side, who interact with clinicians and end up participating in rounds, but this is more rare and usually because the pathologist wants more of it.

I would recommend not deciding this definitively until you get to third year and see how frustrating patient contact can be. For a lot of people, they find that it isn't all it's cracked up to be. 10% of the time it's great, you spend the other 90% getting yelled at by patients, their families, other clinicians, social workers, and filling out paperwork. For a lot of people that 10% is enough.

I think we set up a function to automatic bump those threads (jobs, money, patient contact) every six months... it happens like clockwork.

Of course people could search for it, that would work too.