Patients have poor understanding of our field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aimedicine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I was getting ready to place an IV on the 6th case of the day, I had a patient made the following comments in an effort to complement me with her daughter in the room, paraphrasing
Patient: "...their job is more important than the doctors, they are the ones who keep you safe during the surgery...."

So I said " I'm a doctor mam, I graduated med school already, this is my 2nd yr of training "

Patient: "oh really...I have a niece, she is anesthesiologist , she is a good nurse..."
So she continues to distinguish btw doctors and anesthesiologist in her conversations

Very annoyed at this point I began to try to explain my role to her and the difference btw Crna and physician anesthesiologist but I stopped mid sentence and couldnt help thinking this is probably why someone like Trump could be president in this country (lol I know cheap shot at the president elect)

I don't think I'm going to survive residency if I run into too many patients like this.

Members don't see this ad.

As I was getting ready to place an IV on the 6th case of the day, I had a patient made the following comments in an effort to complement me with her daughter in the room, paraphrasing
Patient: "...their job is more important than the doctors, they are the ones who keep you safe during the surgery...."

So I said " I'm a doctor mam, I graduated med school already, this is my 2nd yr of training "

Patient: "oh really...I have a niece, she is anesthesiologist , she is a good nurse..."
So she continues to distinguish btw doctors and anesthesiologist in her conversations

Very annoyed at this point I began to try to explain my role to her and the difference btw Crna and physician anesthesiologist but I stopped mid sentence and couldnt help thinking this is probably why someone like Trump could be president in this country (lol I know cheap shot at the president elect)

I don't think I'm going to survive residency if I run into too many patients like this.
you expect too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude. Survive residency? Get used to hearing these type of disparaging remarks for the REST OF YOUR CAREER. People are idiots - keep your expectations low, smile, nod, and punch them in the face in your mind.

Reactions: 10 users
At least she defended you. I mean most don't even know about the keeping alive part

After I put a labor epidural in - (8 cm needle to the hub), I was asked by the patient's partner if I learned how to do that at a TAFE course. I just said no, and left.
*I think TAFE is like your community college night school.

Reactions: 2 users
After I put a labor epidural in - (8 cm needle to the hub), I was asked by the patient's partner if I learned how to do that at a TAFE course. I just said no, and left.
*I think TAFE is like your community college night school.
Also in Australia: I once saw a patient in the anaesthetic bay ask the surgeon what the "nurse" (referring to an anaesthetist/anesthesiologist) would be doing during their surgery.

I'd say TAFE is more like community college with a more vocational focus.

Put em in the wrist

Reactions: 1 user
It was a joke and from the replies most seem ok with it. I take care of all comers at all hours and yes at times vent among colleagues. In case you are still confused, no I would not inflict pain on a patient intentionally.

It was a joke and from the replies most seem ok with it. I take care of all comers at all hours and yes at times vent among colleagues. In case you are still confused, no I would not inflict pain on a patient intentionally.
Yeah dude some people on here are pretty uptight.