Paying for application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JTrojan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with ideas for funding the application process? I've applied for FAP, but was denied, but that doesn't mean that I have the money to pay for AMCAS, not to mention secondaries and interview costs. I'm really freaking out because I can't afford to apply to many schools, but I can't really afford not to.

Members don't see this ad.

JTrojan said:
Can anyone help me with ideas for funding the application process? I've applied for FAP, but was denied, but that doesn't mean that I have the money to pay for AMCAS, not to mention secondaries and interview costs. I'm really freaking out because I can't afford to apply to many schools, but I can't really afford not to.
Are you working this summer? Is it possible to take another job? Next year, do you have to pay for school or can your parents/guardians help you? Can you move somewhere cheaper or cut your monthly costs next year?

I have said it before ....

its not the applications that kill you

its the travel expense once you get the interviews....plane tickets, cars, hotel rooms, food. It adds up quick.

I did mine simple and easy with a little planning.

I took out extra loan money from my schooling. It paid for everything and a little more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked my daddy and he said he'd pay for everything for me. Weeeee. My mommy added that she would do my laundry, and prepare foods for me to bring to school that were separated in individual tupperware containers for each day of the week. She also volunteered to pack my suitcase for me when I interview.

But seriously, your parents should be willing to help.

I got a 0% interest credit card last summer and spent all year paying it off.

All joking aside, this is not the first leap in medical school expenses. I just paid $500 to take the Step 2 Boards. Becoming a doctor is an expensive process. Meanwhile my law school friends are all getting 150K jobs out of school. What a scam. But what are you going to do?

Pinkertinkle said:
I asked my daddy and he said he'd pay for everything for me. Weeeee. My mommy added that she would do my laundry, and prepare foods for me to bring to school that were separated in individual tupperware containers for each day of the week. She also volunteered to pack my suitcase for me when I interview.

But seriously, your parents should be willing to help.

I asked my supervisor, and she said she would be glad to give me some extra money. All I have to do is work 16-24 more hours on top of my 2 24 hour shifts I do now. She is so sweet.

Not everybody in the world has parents that are able/willing to help.

do what i did....rack it up on credit cards (i'm assuming of course that you have a part time job...if not you can get at least a ten hour a week job...that'll help pay off the credit card especially if you get one at 0%)....this way you don't have to wait to apply until you have the money...you can apply, and make the money to pay for it as you go along...

Hey Jtrojan,
I'm really feeling you on this--just found out my FAP was denied also! Just how poor do you have to be to qualify for this? I made <10K last year and my mom made <19K. Probably you have to be at the federal poverty line or something. I suppose I'm going to have to apply for a credit card now also, as I don't have enough money to pay for this otherwise. :(

www.bankrate.com

lists all credits cards by APR. Unfortunately it's tough for students to get many of these cards.

I have two jobs :) One at school and one during the summer. The school one pays for school, but I'm saving up the summer money. Thanks, all this really helps. I've always treated credit cards like the plague, but I guess I'll have to submit. And my parents help, it's just that they don't have much with which to help.

Mistress S said:
Hey Jtrojan,
I'm really feeling you on this--just found out my FAP was denied also! Just how poor do you have to be to qualify for this? I made <10K last year and my mom made <19K. Probably you have to be at the federal poverty line or something. I suppose I'm going to have to apply for a credit card now also, as I don't have enough money to pay for this otherwise. :(

Yeah, this sucks. I had to deal with it last year and had the same problem. I ultimately ended up corresponding with AMCAS regarding my situation, and I was told that the FAP application process is HIGHLY selective. Basically, if they determine that you have enough money to pay for ONE application (i.e. $150) then you do not qualify for FAP. I shot back an email telling them that they REALLY should consider putting that information on the website so potential applicants don't waste a ton of time compiling financial information in a futile attempt to reduce the application cost.

My parents did not have the money to help me out. However, I am extremely fortunate to have an uncle that is well off. He gave me enough money to cover the costs of applying, and if it were'nt for that I wouldn't be going to school this fall. If there is nobody who can give/loan you the money, you will probably have to get a loan or a credit card.

Good luck, man. If I'm ever rich, I'll think about setting up a fund for people like us...but until then we just have to keep being resourceful.