Paying For PT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshu24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently recieved my first acceptence to PT school (still wating to hear from some others), and wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions to help pay for all this debt I'll soon have. Are there any specific grants for PT school or for someone changing careers? Just looking to see if someone can give me a little direction as to where to start.

Members don't see this ad.

Work study!! At our program, they make it really feasible for you to work a little through the program because they know exactly what you're schedule is like. There are also department scholarships. Applications usually just require an essay or 2.

The program I applied to doesn't allow time for work, so it's loans all the way for me. Well, loans and a wife who works!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most companies/hospitals will offer a stipend if you promise to work for them when you graduate.

The hospital I will be interning at has offered something like $6,500 each semester (based on grades, etc.) during the last 2 years of grad school. This amount only increases if you promise to work for a longer period (2, 3, 4 years)..

So, not only do you have a job already locked down, but you have less $$$ in loans. Worst case scenario, you have to pay back the loans (not sure if there are interest rates) that you would normally have from the government anyway.

It's a win-win situation.

... does anyone know how you go about asking hospitals or companies if they offer this? I worked at a hospital and an outpatient clinic and want to find out if they have that but I'm not sure how to go about it. Tips? Suggestions?

Thanks!

... does anyone know how you go about asking hospitals or companies if they offer this? I worked at a hospital and an outpatient clinic and want to find out if they have that but I'm not sure how to go about it. Tips? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Ask the Rehab/PT director at the hospital. It won't be a secret if they have such a program as its intent is to find PTs to fill positions.