Paying in-state tuition after one year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tungsten87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
did a quick search and didn't find any valuable info on the subject. i've applied to one in-state and two oos schools for this cycle and there is obviously a huge discrepancy in tuition. there is no way i would be willing to pay oos tuition for four years but i've heard that it is possible to pay oos tuition for one year, obtain residency, and pay in-state tuition for the final three years. does anyone have some more info on this and how difficult it would be?

Members don't see this ad.

did a quick search and didn't find any valuable info on the subject. i've applied to one in-state and two oos schools for this cycle and there is obviously a huge discrepancy in tuition. there is no way i would be willing to pay oos tuition for four years but i've heard that it is possible to pay oos tuition for one year, obtain residency, and pay in-state tuition for the final three years. does anyone have some more info on this and how difficult it would be?
You would have to live off campus firstly, gain a driver's license from that state (I think you have 14 days or something like that when you move to change the tags on your car & same goes for license). Those are the basic steps. Plus you have to "prove" you live in that state for a full yr- NOT just during the school year. I'm not sure the rules of "proving" it though. Try contacting the schools. Even look on their websites they should have residency guidelines listed in/ around the tuition area

Look at the policies determining your residency at that school.

You would have to live off campus firstly, gain a driver's license from that state (I think you have 14 days or something like that when you move to change the tags on your car & same goes for license). Those are the basic steps. Plus you have to "prove" you live in that state for a full yr- NOT just during the school year. I'm not sure the rules of "proving" it though. Try contacting the schools. Even look on their websites they should have residency guidelines listed in/ around the tuition area

Establish an address in that state, pay that state's taxes if you work there, register to vote in that state, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every state/school has its own rules about this. At UIC, you also have to earn half of all your expenses including tuition.

I think it is definitely possible but it might be hard to do considering you will probably have to work a lot. If you are under 24 you need to meet a certain annual salary to qualify as an independant. Then all you do is pay the taxes and obtain at least two of the necessary documents proving residency for 12 months or more. Once you establish you are a tax paying independant resident of that state for the first year I don't see why they wouldn't allow you to recieve the same tuition benefits... but the school or state might have different requirements that I'm not aware of. It looks like you have an extremely high chance of getting in to UF so I wouldn't stress it. LOL

well, now that decision time is here I'm looking for some advice. I have been accepted to both UF and UNC but having a difficult time deciding where I want to go.

UNC: have family there, VERY impressed by the program and faculty, have researchers there that are working on specific projects that I have been interested in for awhile, OOS tuition (~32k), beautiful area with plenty of outdoor activities (I consistently mountain bike, hike, and run), possibility of paying in-state tuition after 1,2,3 years.

UF: close to my parents, in-state tuition (~16k), plenty of friends there, good faculty, lots of outdoor activities.

would anyone who has gained in-state tuition (when previously went to an OOS institution) like to chime in? thanks in advance.

There are some schools that do allow you to apply for residency while in school. I just got accepted to the University of New Mexico, and as an out-of-state student i would pay out of state tuition my first year in Pharmacy School then, if i have applied for residency, get in state tuition my last 3 years. It is actually a really great deal, but im not sure how many other schools do the same. The applying for residency is the same as someone before mentioned, have to get a license, then get tags, and have an address in the state, but you dont have to be out of school a year to do so. Ask if your schools that are out-of-state offer a similar deal.

well, now that decision time is here I'm looking for some advice. I have been accepted to both UF and UNC but having a difficult time deciding where I want to go.

UNC: have family there, VERY impressed by the program and faculty, have researchers there that are working on specific projects that I have been interested in for awhile, OOS tuition (~32k), beautiful area with plenty of outdoor activities (I consistently mountain bike, hike, and run), possibility of paying in-state tuition after 1,2,3 years.

UF: close to my parents, in-state tuition (~16k), plenty of friends there, good faculty, lots of outdoor activities.

I would recommend UF where you have your immediate family and friends. But if you want to get away from that and have experiences of your own, then go to UNC even though it will cost more. You can always pay it off after you start working as a pharmacist.