paying to have someone advise you how to rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentinthecomments

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone see this or use it?

"HOW TO CREATE YOUR RESIDENCY RANK LIST FOR DENTAL RESIDENCY MATCH DAY SUCCESS 2020 // In this private training #DrDarwin teaches you the 5 Steps to develop your rank order list in preparation for #MatchDay . This 60 minute training is for helping candidates go from STRESS to SUCCESS. It is a process #DrDarwin created to help those still struggling or confused on how to rank programs they interviewed. But hurry, time is running out and Your Professional Future Depends on this!"

this service appears to offer one on one counseling to help you rank your Match programs...for $97
not interested in this, but Im curious to see what other people think and/or testimonies of people who used it

dental school education is costly enough and while I understand mentorship is important...should we have to pay for it?
From the surface, I find this similar to services (DAT study programs, admissions counseling, interview preparation) that are marketed to make a profit on poor pre-dentals , who are yet to carry ( or actually feel) the burden of dental school debt. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 user
1. Rank every program that you interviewed at and would like to attend
2. Rank the programs in order of YOUR preference
That's it. Saved you $97

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is some pretty good info on some of his other videos but I wouldn't pay for this service.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Rank every program that you interviewed at and would like to attend
2. Rank the programs in order of YOUR preference
That's it. Saved you $97
yup that's about it. Unless Dr.Darwin has an insider view of literally every residency program and can tell you about politics, clinic opportunities etc and compare them, I don't really see what he could be adding. I highly doubt he could have insider knowledge of more than a handful of residencies though.

"HOW TO CREATE YOUR RESIDENCY RANK LIST FOR DENTAL RESIDENCY MATCH DAY SUCCESS 2020 // In this private training #DrDarwin teaches you the 5 Steps to develop your rank order list in preparation for #MatchDay . This 60 minute training is for helping candidates go from STRESS to SUCCESS. It is a process #DrDarwin created to help those still struggling or confused on how to rank programs they interviewed. But hurry, time is running out and Your Professional Future Depends on this!"

this service appears to offer one on one counseling to help you rank your Match programs...for $97
not interested in this, but Im curious to see what other people think and/or testimonies of people who used it

dental school education is costly enough and while I understand mentorship is important...should we have to pay for it?
From the surface, I find this similar to services (DAT study programs, admissions counseling, interview preparation) that are marketed to make a profit on poor pre-dentals , who are yet to carry ( or actually feel) the burden of dental school debt. What do you all think?

I'm not diametrically opposed to paying for mentoring/coaching or advising in general, but this specific service I don't think is worth it. The extraneous services like interview prep, DAT study etc may cost you a few thousand total at most. even if at 97$ you pay for this and he gives you one piece of good info that changes your career it might be worth it (though I highly doubt he has anything like that.) I will say personally I never used any of those types of things, but know of some who did and had some level of success.

the real whale that is eating our lives financially is the dental school debt at 4-500k in many cases. the advising stuff at least is not going to a poorly run and admin filled corporate sloth aka dental schools.

How to make your rank list:

Which program did you identify best with and could see yourself matching with the culture of the best? Which one will put you in the least amount of debt?

There, decision made.

I agree with all the above. Had to bring it up cuz I'm amazed at the creative lengths gone to make money off of us trying to start our careers.

Heck if you search my posts, I've detailed many times over the last 15 years how match works and have long posts shattering some falsely held beliefs as recently as 2 or 3 years ago. I would never think to charge dental students for this knowledge. I'd do it to help a future colleague. I still have nightmares about match day and it's been over 15 years for me. SDN was a great resource for me way back before we even had internet on our phones.

But if someone is too dumb to do a google search and find SDN, then that's probably why this service exists.

Heck if you search my posts, I've detailed many times over the last 15 years how match works and have long posts shattering some falsely held beliefs as recently as 2 or 3 years ago. I would never think to charge dental students for this knowledge. I'd do it to help a future colleague. I still have nightmares about match day and it's been over 15 years for me. SDN was a great resource for me way back before we even had internet on our phones.

But if someone is too dumb to do a google search and find SDN, then that's probably why this service exists.
@gryffindor has some of the best posts about ranking programs. They helped me immensely.

Members don't see this ad :)
In contrast to what everyone else is saying, I think this is great. I personally hate all the time and effort that goes into making major life decisions. Pros, cons, where do I want to live, where do I fit in, blah blah blah blah. The peace of mind that comes from letting someone else figure all that stuff out is priceless. Frankly $97 is a bargain.

In contrast to what everyone else is saying, I think this is great. I personally hate all the time and effort that goes into making major life decisions. Pros, cons, where do I want to live, where do I fit in, blah blah blah blah. The peace of mind that comes from letting someone else figure all that stuff out is priceless. Frankly $97 is a bargain.
What the **** is there to figure out? How is a guy I guess was the former director of some gpr program supposed to be current on every other program out there, including for other residencies?

What the **** is there to figure out? How is a guy I guess was the former director of some gpr program supposed to be current on every other program out there, including for other residencies?
Ok so I guess sarcasm doesn’t come across well over text. Who knew?

• Haha
How to make your rank list so you're most likely to match at your favorite program:

Rank your favorite program #1.

Ill leave my venmo here

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
This guy mentions he can help rank AEGD, GPR, OMFS and pediatrics... how in the Sam Hill does he know about ranking OMFS programs as well as peds programs?? Might as well throw some ortho stuff as well since, you know, ortho is very similar to OMFS. Oh wait... he does the same thing for ortho residencies as well :rofl:

I really hope nobody who is intelligent enough to pursue dentistry and subsequently a specialty program pays for help making rank lists. Just go to the place where you either fit in the best, or costs the least.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
This guy mentions he can help rank AEGD, GPR, OMFS and pediatrics... how in the Sam Hill does he know about ranking OMFS programs as well as peds programs?? Might as well throw some ortho stuff as well since, you know, ortho is very similar to OMFS. Oh wait... he does the same thing for ortho residencies as well :rofl:

I really hope nobody who is intelligent enough to pursue dentistry and subsequently a specialty program pays for help making rank lists. Just go to the place where you either fit in the best, or costs the least.
best case scenario is when you fit in the best and it cost the least ;)

I will tell them how to rank for $96.... :cool:

I emailed him for some advice and he was trying to charge me $97 for 15 min, I couldn’t do it but if he charged $97 for an hour then I would have paid for it.