Payment for preceptorship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milesed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our practice if often approached by schools wanting preceptors to teach medical students and psyc NP's. The students are already paying high rates of tuition to schools with large endowments so only feel it may be fair for the schools to pay for our time. We have done this teaching for free in the past, but am wondering if anyone here has a set fee for this type of work. We don't care to ever be officially on staff for any of the schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I've had one school offer $100/week and another $400/month, DO schools. This was several years ago.
I say no to ARNPs.
I know one clinic that gets residents from a bigger name institution, gets $10k per month for residents, but that was even more years ago. That clinic also has a bunch of things that are more than a routine rotation.

No to NPs obviously, med students they should pay you to teach them whatever you feel your time is worth

Members don't see this ad :)
im making 500 a month per student which comes out to 300 or so after taxes. Really its not much but i do it mainly for the student. Carribean schools tend to pay more, probably around 1,000. DO schools are more stingy, and american md schools tend to do around 500-1000, which is ironic given the tuition they charge.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone in employed non-academic settings get time compensation for taking on med students? Our org affiliated with a local med school to take on med students. But there's no compensation to us for taking on a med student, just add them to your clinic day. No extra admin time, no stipend. I don't think we get status at the university for ego points, even. It's also optional so most of us haven't taken on med students...

Well you can definitely get a volunteer clinical faculty appointment if you want the ego points and library access, but unless you own the med school, med (and NP) students are not generally profitable.

Anyone in employed non-academic settings get time compensation for taking on med students? Our org affiliated with a local med school to take on med students. But there's no compensation to us for taking on a med student, just add them to your clinic day. No extra admin time, no stipend. I don't think we get status at the university for ego points, even. It's also optional so most of us haven't taken on med students...
I worked at a past big box shop job and they had buried in their contract rules that the money could eventually flow to me. Tried pushing several times like hey, I jumped through your hoops, now pay me, but the employer never did. Just another reason why I left that place and why Big Box shops are ... not nice.

Reactions: 2 users