Pco, ico, sco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w44jmw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been offered interviews at these three schools, but due to the high price of travel (and the large amount of school I'd have to miss), I'm only able to go to two of them. I'm having a tough time deciding! SCO is cheaper, but they rarely accept students with only 3 years of studies. PCO's Eye Institute seems like it might be pretty far from campus, which will suck because I won't have a car. I think I'll go to ICO's interview for sure, but I can't decide between the other two!! I'm a bit worried because my marks this semester were a little low, but my overall GPA is still around a 3.4.

Any words of wisdom, or info from current students about the pros/cons of any of these schools?

Thanks so much! Hope everybody's enjoying the holiday break.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you graduating or do you plan on just finishing three years of school?

If you won't have a car, SCO will probably be easier to get around. There are apartments close enough that you could walk/ride a bike from, and you could also carpool with other students. It's also extremely convenient having the clinic attached to the school. And don't worry too much about your GPA. I think the average entering GPA last year was a 3.4 or a 3.5.

I'm trying to get in after just 3!

I think that now I'm just going to pick one...I don't want to get too far into debt now, I'll save that for optometry school (hopefully!). I know only going to one interview totally limits things, but I'm only a 3rd year, and if all else fails I'll finish my degree and try again. I'm mainly going for the experience at this point, with a little bit of hope that I'll get in.

I've ruled out PCO, mainly because of the cost and the fact that the clinic isn't very close to campus. As far as SCO and ICO go, I'm torn! ICO has the convenience of the RC, and the courses and clinic look great as far as I can tell. SCO is less expensive, has a very friendly atmosphere, and looks equally as great as far as resources and education. The downside to SCO is that I only have 3 years done, and they have only offered several seats to non-degree students in the past.

I'll likely end up leaning towards ICO, simply because my chances will be better. Any advice or input from current students/people who have been to interviews/applicants in a similar position would be greatly appreciated!

Happy New Year! :)