PCO Interview Coming up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2016eyedoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got an interview from PCO this coming week.
How should I prepare for this? What kind of questions do they ask?
Could anyone who has been to PCO's interview, give me some advice, please?
I would really appreciate it!;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a super chill interview. Like everyone else says, it's very conversational. They ask you the standard questions i.e. why optometry? and then they go over your file. No grilling. They will ask about any outstanding prereqs and when you plan to finish them. I had this disaster where optomcas forgot to put in my AP credits that fulfilled my calc prereq, but the interviewer was super nice and just let me pull up my transcript for her to see that I fulfilled all my prereqs. My interviewer was not an OD, which is possibly why it was a little more relaxing. The tour is super long though, and you will get hungry. It requires a lot of walking and they also drive you to see their clinic. They provide free lunch. Their cafeteria and lunch was my fav part of the tour. Wear comfy shoes. If you aren't used to Northeastern US weather, make sure to dress appropriate. Scarfs, parkas, hats, etcs. I do not recommend wearing a skirt suit and opt for pants if you are a females. They get decisions back to you within 2 weeks. I was admitted last month into PCO but will be attending SUNY come August.

I was really disappointed with my interview at PCO. I had a lot of questions for my interviewer that he was unable to answer because he was an administrator and not really involved in the programs. My tour guide was not "into" it at all and couldn't really tell us why she chose PCO over other schools. She did not sell me on the school at all.

I think during the actual interview, the interviewer wanted to know my perspective on my poor grades at the beginning of my college years. The one question I remember that he asked was what did I think I could offer to the school by going there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was really disappointed with my interview at PCO. I had a lot of questions for my interviewer that he was unable to answer because he was an administrator and not really involved in the programs. My tour guide was not "into" it at all and couldn't really tell us why she chose PCO over other schools. She did not sell me on the school at all.

I think during the actual interview, the interviewer wanted to know my perspective on my poor grades at the beginning of my college years. The one question I remember that he asked was what did I think I could offer to the school by going there.

I definitely agree with the fact that the interviewer you get may not be an OD, and so may not be as involved. However, I think the kind of tour guide you get will really depend on your luck. I personally I had an incredibly thorough tour and my tour guides were super enthusiastic about the school. Again, this will really depend on your luck and how much you really want to go to PCO to begin with. Not every person goes in feeling the same way into their interview. For some people, PCO maybe the first school they interview at and for some people not. Personally, PCO was the first school I interviewed at, but it was the 2nd or 3rd for my co-interviewees. I would say read up about the status of the profession and make sure that you shadowed around. Most importantly, be yourself! You are your best you! Good luck!

Are you going for the March 4 date? :D???

I have my PCO interview March 1st! What should we wear? Business or business casual? I heard there was a lot of walking so wear comfortable shoes? And Is a winter coat OK since it will probably be cold?

I have my PCO interview March 1st! What should we wear? Business or business casual? I heard there was a lot of walking so wear comfortable shoes? And Is a winter coat OK since it will probably be cold?
Check the weather before you leave. It's been in the 50's this past weekend in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, but the weather could change. You might get away with a light jacket if it's in the 50's Fahrenheit. For 40's and below Fahrenheit, a heavy winter jacket is a must! Comfortable shoes are also a must! I cannot stress that enough. Like most optometry schools, the dress code is business casual. If you really want to play it safe, you can wear a suit. I wore a black suit (black blazer, black pants) with a tasteful collared blouse underneath. You can get creative with the blouse/dress shirt as long as it's appropriate (not too see through, no explicit logos). Doesn't need to be linen or cotton. Mine was chiffon. I also chose to wear flats as my footwear. Have fun dressing! You have lots of options!

It's a super chill interview. Like everyone else says, it's very conversational. They ask you the standard questions i.e. why optometry? and then they go over your file. No grilling. They will ask about any outstanding prereqs and when you plan to finish them. I had this disaster where optomcas forgot to put in my AP credits that fulfilled my calc prereq, but the interviewer was super nice and just let me pull up my transcript for her to see that I fulfilled all my prereqs. My interviewer was not an OD, which is possibly why it was a little more relaxing. The tour is super long though, and you will get hungry. It requires a lot of walking and they also drive you to see their clinic. They provide free lunch. Their cafeteria and lunch was my fav part of the tour. Wear comfy shoes. If you aren't used to Northeastern US weather, make sure to dress appropriate. Scarfs, parkas, hats, etcs. I do not recommend wearing a skirt suit and opt for pants if you are a females. They get decisions back to you within 2 weeks. I was admitted last month into PCO but will be attending SUNY come August.
thank you for your reply! that was so helpful! yes. and I wore pants instead of skirts.

I wore high heels and brought my flats for the tour. most people wore either business or business casual. they have coat racks, so you can leave it in there during your interview. :)

Last edited:

thank you for your reply. those were the Qs they asked me too !

Last edited: