PCOM Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I apologize, I came off as a bit of a prick in my post. I've edited it. It was early morning and I was excited, what can I say

We're all fortunate to be accepted to one of the best med schools out there. Plus, not everyone gets need-based scholarships either, so bigihoroi, msw, and Bacchus: we're all had a providential moment. Congratulations to everyone! :)

Congrats to you too ilovedrstill.

Are any of you all 76er fans? Its awesome how they practice at PCOM's gym. I'm not a fan of the 76ers but Iguodala is the man and you all get to see him in person! Does anybody wanna get his signature and send it over to GA? :D

Members don't see this ad.

I just saw this on Nucleus...

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12: The Spirit of Philadelphia Dinner CruiseInformation on how to purchase tickets, time of the cruise, etc. will be available in July.

Sounds pretty badass! I cannot wait!
Hmm... That must be our nightly entertainment for that day during Orientation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, I'm a 3rd year PCOM student looking to rent out our house which is about 10 minutes down City Ave. from PCOM. It has 3 bedrooms, although one of them is very small- perhaps suitable for an office. It has a large living room, dining room, full kitchen and finished basement with laundry facilities. It's located in Upper Darby on a quiet tree-lined street. We are asking for $1100 per month plus utilities. It would be great for roommates or a married couple.
We are hoping to get someone in soon. Please contact me at amymiatpcom.edu or emidesu_2000atyahoo.com. (@ symbol changed to avoid spam):)

I just saw this on Nucleus...

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12: The Spirit of Philadelphia Dinner CruiseInformation on how to purchase tickets, time of the cruise, etc. will be available in July.

Sounds pretty badass! I cannot wait!

Wow, that sounds pretty high roller. I hope the ticket doesn't cost too much for poor medical students like us.

Just thinking of how PCOM's orientation runs from August 9th to 14th really freaks me out. I mean, how can they have an orientation that runs for 5 days? I remember my undergraduate orientation only lasts for like...half a day, which includes getting my ID card, a short campus tour, and register for classes..lol.

Most sessions are 4 hours a day. I'm assuming we're going to learn study skills, resources available to us, proven methods of success, etc. There will also probably be some koombaya thrown in for good measure. However, if a ladder is taken out and the words "trust" and "fall" are muttered, no way. :laugh:

The website for the dinner cruise has a base rate of $61.90. Taxes, etc are not included. I would think its probably subsidized in some way (aka tuition (built-in)).

It was $35 last year, so they did subsidize a little bit :)

It was $35 last year, so they did subsidize a little bit :)

Awesome.

Funny thing is, this girl I'm dating right now, wanted to go on a cruise.

Problem solved. :laugh:

(Except that this isn't really a cruise LOL...oh well, will be good times anyway)

From the financial award page on nucleus, I see that my federal stafford loan have all been accepted. Is this financial aid package only partly complete? I don't see the Federal Grad Plus loan anywhere on my award page. Is it not processed yet? I believe the stafford loan is only enough to cover my tuition at PCOM. Isn't Fed Grad Plus loan supposedly cover the rest of the cost of attendance (living cost)?

I'm a newbie in financial aid. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. :)

Congrats all on your acceptance! I'm a 4th year at drexel, and I am moving into center city with my girlfriend. I am looking to rent my house in manayunk to another medical student or a couple. Here is the posting I just put up on craigs list:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/reo/1210446069.html

From the financial award page on nucleus, I see that my federal stafford loan have all been accepted. Is this financial aid package only partly complete? I don't see the Federal Grad Plus loan anywhere on my award page. Is it not processed yet? I believe the stafford loan is only enough to cover my tuition at PCOM. Isn't Fed Grad Plus loan supposedly cover the rest of the cost of attendance (living cost)?

I'm a newbie in financial aid. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. :)

You actually have to apply for the Gradplus. They don't give it to you automatically. So basically, pick a bank or lender, apply for a gradplus, pick your amount (PCOM) has a limit, and wait for PCOM to certify it. Then it will show up there.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone done GradPLus yet? I tried the website and I chose PCOM and hit continue, and another screen came up and said "hit the continue button below." Well for a few days now there is no button to press. Am I missing something obvious? (Which wouldn't surprise me) Thanks

You actually have to apply for the Gradplus. They don't give it to you automatically. So basically, pick a bank or lender, apply for a gradplus, pick your amount (PCOM) has a limit, and wait for PCOM to certify it. Then it will show up there.

Thanks. Do most med student borrow from this loan (other than stafford loan) to cover their cost of attendance? The interest rate is 8.5%, which I think it's quite high under our current economic conditions. :scared:

Thanks. Do most med student borrow from this loan (other than stafford loan) to cover their cost of attendance? The interest rate is 8.5%, which I think it's quite high under our current economic conditions. :scared:

Yes they do since its federally backed loan. Unless you have really good credit, you might opt for private loans. But most stick with the federal loans for sure.

The economy will probably be in an upswing by the time you get to paying off your loans. That's why the GradPlus is recommended. 8.5% is fixed and won't increased. Most, if not all private loans are variable rate so although my loans are at rates now of anywhere between 3-4% for undergrad, they can shoot up at anytime.

My question: Are we going to receive financial aid awards in the mail? I'm not applying for loans until I have a paper in front of me saying: We're giving you this much, here is the COA, now borrow.

I don't think we are getting them in the mail. It's almost July, and still nothing yet. You should apply soon! :)

The economy will probably be in an upswing by the time you get to paying off your loans. That's why the GradPlus is recommended. 8.5% is fixed and won't increased. Most, if not all private loans are variable rate so although my loans are at rates now of anywhere between 3-4% for undergrad, they can shoot up at anytime.

My question: Are we going to receive financial aid awards in the mail? I'm not applying for loans until I have a paper in front of me saying: We're giving you this much, here is the COA, now borrow.

they never send the COA out you have to find it. The fear isnt that theeconomy willbe doing better, you have to worry about all the government spending. Odds are inflation will spike making a cap of 8.5% appealing.

It would be the courteous thing to do.

It would be. But I got tired of waiting for PCOMs financial aid office. They are terrible at customer service...

It would be. But I got tired of waiting for PCOMs financial aid office. They are terrible at customer service...

yeah it seems like you have to do everything on your own. owell I guess it isn't too hard to do? if i can figure out the gradplus website lol

Hey, can someone post the important info that PCOM sent out in the letter about 2 weeks ago? I seemed have misplaced mine. It's been crazy wrapping up my job and trying to get everything for school in place. Is there a financial aid thing this Monday at 1? Also, 5 days of orientation...I think I know what I'll be doing each night, heck we'll need to party before school starts, and it's back to business. Bacchus the cruise isn't until Wednesday, that gives you plenty of time to find a date with someone from class right?

For those still looking for housing...I've been kind of quiet but here is my 2 cents, as a Philly resident: Do not look directly around PCOM, way to dead, unless you are 50 or older or maybe if you have kids. It is a mixture of industrial parks placed in the middle of a very old money suburb. Manayunk is sort of it's own little city unto itself. It's ok but tends to get old quick. It has some great places like Flatrock and Mugshots. Although it's a chain Kildaire's has the best wings on the planet, but it is totally a meat market. I am personally staying in my place in Queen Village and biking to school. I would suggest to everyone still looking the Art museum area. You are 5 minutes from center city, you'll be next to the park, there are some great bars and coffee shops. It is lacking a decent grocery store (it only has a Whole Foods, which may soon be out of most of our price ranges) but you could hit up the Acme or the SuperFresh on your way home from class. And if you are smart and avoid 76 and take Kelly drive to and from school should take you 10 minutes max. Hope that helps. Good Luck. See everyone in August. And thanks for the info about the letter...someone please ;-)

Hey, can someone post the important info that PCOM sent out in the letter about 2 weeks ago? I seemed have misplaced mine. It's been crazy wrapping up my job and trying to get everything for school in place. Is there a financial aid thing this Monday at 1? Also, 5 days of orientation...I think I know what I'll be doing each night, heck we'll need to party before school starts, and it's back to business. Bacchus the cruise isn't until Wednesday, that gives you plenty of time to find a date with someone from class right?

For those still looking for housing...I've been kind of quiet but here is my 2 cents, as a Philly resident: Do not look directly around PCOM, way to dead, unless you are 50 or older or maybe if you have kids. It is a mixture of industrial parks placed in the middle of a very old money suburb. Manayunk is sort of it's own little city unto itself. It's ok but tends to get old quick. It has some great places like Flatrock and Mugshots. Although it's a chain Kildaire's has the best wings on the planet, but it is totally a meat market. I am personally staying in my place in Queen Village and biking to school. I would suggest to everyone still looking the Art museum area. You are 5 minutes from center city, you'll be next to the park, there are some great bars and coffee shops. It is lacking a decent grocery store (it only has a Whole Foods, which may soon be out of most of our price ranges) but you could hit up the Acme or the SuperFresh on your way home from class. And if you are smart and avoid 76 and take Kelly drive to and from school should take you 10 minutes max. Hope that helps. Good Luck. See everyone in August. And thanks for the info about the letter...someone please ;-)

I think you're talking about the letter announcing the financial aid workshop on Monday. We got the same info in an e-mail to your pcom account a few weeks ago too. It's 1:00-3:00 I think and you're invited to bring a guest. They did ask that you RSVP.

About the Art Museum area... I'm actually checking out a house for rent there in a few days and I really like what I'm hearing about that area. Can you tell me anything about how safe it is? And do you feel like you're more "in the city" than you are around PCOM? And what's Fairmount Park like- is it safe or seedy? Like, would a young female be alright jogging alone there? Thanks!

I called them and they didn't give me an exact date of when they'd finish our award packages. Really frustrating and basic answer

If someone finds the answer, I'd really apprecaite it you'd share it with us! Thanks

For those still looking for housing...I've been kind of quiet but here is my 2 cents, as a Philly resident: Do not look directly around PCOM, way to dead, unless you are 50 or older or maybe if you have kids.

Lol yes, it's very 'dead' in that it's peaceful, safe, family friendly, affordable, and a short walk to campus. Totally lame :rolleyes:

In regards to the art museum area, I lived at 15th and spring garden for a year or so and it was nice, just a lot more expensive. I commuted (drove) up to my work which was just a few blocks down from PCOM, and at the time (3 years ago) it was almost a 40 minute drive. It can take a long time to go anyway in the mornings in Philly, so keep that in mind. Med school is long enough without a stressful commute

Good luck

Sorry it took so long to respond I was away. Wow, I totally did not mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. Like I said I was just giving my opinion as a Philadelphia resident for the last 15 years, and living in a number of different neighborhoods. I am not too up to date on the affordability of City Line Ave vs. the Art Museum area. To answer the first reponders question. Be careful. The term "Art Museum Area" has begun to include some parts of North Philly that are decidedly not the same as the original area. I guess if you were to look on a map. My definition of fun Art Museum and places which I recommend would be between the streets of 18th and as far west as 26th (honestly don't know much further west). Your southern border is 676 and I would only look as north as Poplar at the most. Girad and north gets a little seedy. As for commute time. I bike a great deal but have driven to the produce junction behind PCOM for groceries. Dr.Still is right Philly city streets can be a drag, until you learn which one's never have traffic. Depending on your proximity to Kelly Drive it should take no more than 10-15 minutes to get to PCOM. It takes me 15 on a bike from there. You could always test it out to make sure.

I don't want to hurt anyone else's feelings but, City Line Ave and Bala Cynwood are just not types of places I like. It has a ton of industrial parks, apartment buildings, and boxy stores. I tend to like a more neighborhood feel and prefer independent stores. I also like to cut back and enjoy myself and I would prefer to walk to and from cool interesting places when I party than TGI Fridays and the like. But to each their own, and for families and price it may be much better. Those are not my major priorities.

Philly is a major city, it is pockety like any other city. As for running in Fairmount park at night, as a single female, I would not recommend it. However, I wouldn't recommend it near PCOM either. Did anyone else notice the poster for the rapist in the area hanging on the parking garage doors for commiting crimes right around the City Line? Crime happens. Just take precautions to be safe: like staying with a group, don't do outwardly stupid things like blackout from drinking without friends. All the normal things. I live in Queen Village and love it. I honestly believe it is the best neighbor in the city and have never felt unsafe. I have a number of roommates (including a female) who all feel the same. If you have anymore questions you can PM me or just respond. We can talk on facebook if that is easier just PM me.

Lol yes, it's very 'dead' in that it's peaceful, safe, family friendly, affordable, and a short walk to campus. Totally lame :rolleyes:

In regards to the art museum area, I lived at 15th and spring garden for a year or so and it was nice, just a lot more expensive. I commuted (drove) up to my work which was just a few blocks down from PCOM, and at the time (3 years ago) it was almost a 40 minute drive. It can take a long time to go anyway in the mornings in Philly, so keep that in mind. Med school is long enough without a stressful commute

Good luck

Hey I'm not offended or anything. I just think the neighborhood I'm in is super chill and has the perfect atmosphere for studying, plus rent's cheap and you don't need to drive except for food or when you do want to unwind. If your main concern is school and saving money, I think it's a great setup, but I am older so maybe I fit your sterotype! :)

Dr.Still is right Philly city streets can be a drag, until you learn which one's never have traffic. Depending on your proximity to Kelly Drive it should take no more than 10-15 minutes to get to PCOM. It takes me 15 on a bike from there. You could always test it out to make sure.

lol so you're one of the maniacs barreling down Kelly drv. at 70mph in the pouring rain! :)

I would take homebrew's advice and test out the drive if you can. As for the times he/she gave...I would respectfully question whether or not they are realistic. Kelly drive is definitely not a secret or anything, everyone uses it and they do a lot of construction, and add that to all the trafic...if you could go from the art meseum area to pcom's parking lot in 10 minutes during morning/evening rush hour, you're either breaking all sorts of traffic laws or you're in a helicopter. Googlemaps says with no traffic it would take you 14 min to go from my old place (right near the museum) to PCOM's lot. But with Phildelphia traffic I'm going to say that it just can't be done. Double that and you're closer to what it'll take you.

What do other Philly residents think?

I did bike that route many times, and going from PCOM to the city is fast (down hill), but going there (up hill) takes a bit longer, at least for me. But if you want to keep in shape, go for it, the bicycle paths on Kelly are wonderful.

I have a newbie question about financial aid. Today my busar's "Award" page updated for the first time. It was initially blank, but now it says I have "accepted" stafford unsubsidized and subsidized loans. So, am I done? Or do I need to go to a lender to actually get the money? I know this is a ludicrous question, but I've never borrowed before and the instrutions given by PCOM make it seem that all you do is submit the forms and you are done. Thanks for your help.

All I want are the subsidized stafford loans, btw.

I have a newbie question about financial aid. Today my busar's "Award" page updated for the first time. It was initially blank, but now it says I have "accepted" stafford unsubsidized and subsidized loans. So, am I done? Or do I need to go to a lender to actually get the money? I know this is a ludicrous question, but I've never borrowed before and the instrutions given by PCOM make it seem that all you do is submit the forms and you are done. Thanks for your help.

All I want are the subsidized stafford loans, btw.

You have already accepted the unsubsidized loans, or at least that's what PCOM is claiming. When you filled out the financial aid paperwork and sent it to PCOM you put how much you'd like to take out. If you don't want them I would call them RIGHT NOW. There's probably nothing they can do, but there's no harm in calling them

you are done unless you need grad plus loans. Most of us do, but if you don't that's great. It sounds like you don't

Good luck

They give you the money via direct deposit after they take out the tuition. We all have to set up a direct deposit prior to matriculation.

You have already accepted the unsubsidized loans, or at least that's what PCOM is claiming. When you filled out the financial aid paperwork and sent it to PCOM you put how much you'd like to take out. If you don't want them I would call them RIGHT NOW. There's probably nothing they can do, but there's no harm in calling them

you are done unless you need grad plus loans. Most of us do, but if you don't that's great. It sounds like you don't

Good luck
Both types of Stafford loans are listed. You need to choose a lender. PCOM is not a lending agency and thus the $40,500 (or whatever amount) will not appear in PCOM's bank account. The same goes for the GradPlus loan. We have to sign master promissory notes for both Stafford and GradPlus loans.

Does anyone know what the estimated cost of living is if we are getting no help from parents or need-based loans/scholarships? I want to apply for a gradPlus loan and have no idea what amount to ask for. Thanks!

Does anyone know what the estimated cost of living is if we are getting no help from parents or need-based loans/scholarships? I want to apply for a gradPlus loan and have no idea what amount to ask for. Thanks!

They will certify a COA of right around $63,000. Which means if you max out your Stafford borrowing (which I think you must to get GradPLUS) and have zero other financial aid contributions, they should certify your PLUS loans for something like $22,500 (that's what mine was and I'm in the same boat as you). I requested $24,000 just to be safe and then the school cut it down to the actual figure they'd certify.