PCOM or KCUMB Bioscience Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsgwin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has done either of the one-year "certificate" programs at these two institutions. I've gotten the spill from both schools on how they make you a much better candidate for a professional school, but I'd like to hear from some folks who have actually been enrolled in one of the two programs. If that's you, did you attend after applying to medical school and not getting in? Did you get in after completing the one year program? I applied to med school this year and my MCAT is what kept me from getting in. I'm sitting quite nicely otherwise. I'm addressing the MCAT problem over the summer so I"ll have it out of the way, but I don't want to sit out of school for a year while reapplying.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has done either of the one-year "certificate" programs at these two institutions. I've gotten the spill from both schools on how they make you a much better candidate for a professional school, but I'd like to hear from some folks who have actually been enrolled in one of the two programs. If that's you, did you attend after applying to medical school and not getting in? Did you get in after completing the one year program? I applied to med school this year and my MCAT is what kept me from getting in. I'm sitting quite nicely otherwise. I'm addressing the MCAT problem over the summer so I"ll have it out of the way, but I don't want to sit out of school for a year while reapplying.

Thoughts?

Well if its your MCAT keeping you out of med school than there is no point in a masters program. Just re-take the MCAT, do awesome, get into med school, and travel/work/whatever you want to do. Its a waste of tuition money and you're just gonna burn yourself out plus what if you do poorly and hurt your chances for med school. Now, if its not just your MCAT thats keeping you out than it might be worth it.

I've just heard a lot of people who sat out a year or had a "dead year" say that interview committees seemed skeptical of offering them a seat. Also talked with a dean of admissions who suggested not sitting out. Guess its a damned if I do damned if I don't kind of thing.

I've just heard a lot of people who sat out a year or had a "dead year" say that interview committees seemed skeptical of offering them a seat. Also talked with a dean of admissions who suggested not sitting out. Guess its a damned if I do damned if I don't kind of thing.

Do ECs. Shadow, research, volunteer, etc.