PCOM PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyched90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working on my LPC license and was wondering if there are any people out there who had an LPC and went on to a doctoral program. Is the PsyD worth it or am I better off working as an LPC? Unfortunately it seems as thought LPC jobs are pretty low paying and won't ever really increase with experience whereas PsyDs may start off around 50k but this could potentially increase quite a bit with experience.

I'd love to hear some opinions regarding this as I am very conflicted over this decision!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Woah, their published numbers on their website are way off from their APPIC numbers. This alone would be a red flag to me.

OP, I would look at this doc for independent verification of match rates...

http://www.appic.org/Portals/0/downloads/APPIC_Match_Rates_2011-14_by_Univ.pdf

In addition, their EPPP pass rate is not so hot (71.13%). It's not terrible, but I personally would be looking for a program closer to 85% or higher.

Unrelated to your question, it's really interesting to me that so many of the osteopathic medicine schools have opened clinical psyd programs in the last decade or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
School is insanely expensive and offers next to no financial aid but always manages to pay to have people promoting their program at every conference I've been to. No thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your answers. I can't believe there is such a huge difference in the match rates! I'm having such a hard time with this because I want to go to a good program but not sure I have what it takes to do so.

Also, waiting another year seems like so much since I would be graduating even later which is hard as I'd like to start a family before that. I don't have much flexibility in location, but I do only want to go to a school that isn't going to do more harm than good for my career. Luckily, tuition isn't a big concern for me right now. The match rates and EPPP passing rates are what really concern me.

Last edited:
I would like to point out that this program was run by the same person that ran MWU.

Thank you for your answers. I can't believe there is such a huge difference in the match rates! I'm having such a hard time with this because I want to go to a good program but not sure I have what it takes to do so.

Also, waiting another year seems like so much since I would be graduating even later which is hard as I'd like to start a family before that. I don't have much flexibility in location, but I do only want to go to a school that isn't going to do more harm than good for my career. Luckily, tuition isn't a big concern for me right now. The match rates and EPPP passing rates are what really concern me.

At the end of the day, it is really going to be up to you and what is going to best meet your goals. However, I think you are right to be concerned about their match rates and EPPP scores, and perhaps doubly concerned about the deceptive numbers they posted on their website... That is some seriously shady marketing.

I know you said tuition is not a big concern for you, but this seems to be a situation in which you would be paying a high price tag for a low return on the investment.

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh, sucks that there are programs out there like this! Thank you all for your input, helps a lot.

I applied to PCOM when I was looking at PsyD programs. I felt that during the interview PCOM made me jump through a lot of (fairly ridiculous) hoops for a program that was academically weaker, more expensive, and less supportive than the one where I ended up going. Just about the only advantage it had going for it was that it was closer to my parents' house.

P.S.: Add to the conference advertising radio, TV spots, and the sides of half the buses in Philly.

I applied to PCOM when I was looking at PsyD programs. I felt that during the interview PCOM made me jump through a lot of (fairly ridiculous) hoops for a program that was academically weaker, more expensive, and less supportive than the one where I ended up going. Just about the only advantage it had going for it was that it was closer to my parents' house.

P.S.: Add to the conference advertising radio, TV spots, and the sides of half the buses in Philly.
What kind of hoops? I'm curious. :)

What kind of hoops? I'm curious. :)
LOL! They weren't very exciting hoops. There was an essay in a blue book during the interview process, as I recall, as well as a group exercise with two other applicants where we debated a question. I think I talked to one faculty member? At any rate, I felt like they wanted me to believe that their program was more challenging than it really was. And in the contact we had with their students, it seemed like students had little support for things like finding practicum sites. One of my fellow debaters ended up at the other PsyD program with me. :)

LOL! They weren't very exciting hoops. There was an essay in a blue book during the interview process, as I recall, as well as a group exercise with two other applicants where we debated a question. I think I talked to one faculty member? At any rate, I felt like they wanted me to believe that their program was more challenging than it really was. And in the contact we had with their students, it seemed like students had little support for things like finding practicum sites. One of my fellow debaters ended up at the other PsyD program with me. :)

It seems to be the way these for profits in disguise sell themselves to students. They try to look rigorous to the unknowing student. Then they get them in and give nothing in return.