PCSOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

backman_y2k

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone else that will be attending Pikeville in the fall? I was interviewed and accepted in February.

Members don't see this ad.

backman_y2k said:
Is there anyone else that will be attending Pikeville in the fall? I was interviewed and accepted in February.

I was accepted in November but I am trying to decide between Pikeville and NSU. I'm not sure which would be a better fit, in terms of clinicals and residency opportunities (rotations, etc.)

lsudoc82 said:
I was accepted in November but I am trying to decide between Pikeville and NSU. I'm not sure which would be a better fit, in terms of clinicals and residency opportunities (rotations, etc.)
It must be difficult to evaluate your best option. I'm sure you'll make the right decision. If you choose Pikeville I'm sure I'll see you around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a reason why so many haven't posted or that would even consider Pikeville?

I was also accepted to the class of 2010 back in November. Have you found a place to live in Pike Vegas yet?

Ziggy,

I haven't found a place to live yet and I don't use facebook. I guess I'll see you in a few months.

Does anyone know how full the class is? I applied for this year and I can tell you that Pikeville is the #1 choice for me out of any school. The only give and take of the whole thing is that there isn't **** to do in Pikeville, but that is good for some studying. Hope to see all of yall in the fall! However, I have a feeling Pikeville admissions is probably having a good laugh at my MCAT scores, so I may be seeing yall NEXT fall. Just be sure to hold on to your notes and exams!

Ziggy- I hope facebook rules your life the way it does mine. Man, is that the most addictive thing ever or what?

Well,
I'm in, but have another offer. My concern is I've lurked the halls of pikeville since last October. Yea, i've had some time on my hands...i've also done the same w/ the other school i'm in. There i just heard a bunch of tired overworked students. At pikville i heard faculty talk about students in the hall and the library. They bad mouthed a student with problems and how they are done if they dont forget about family and get to work. I thought pikeville was about family? Thsi is kinda' making me doubt pikeville is no 1 now. Can anyone who is at the school tell me if they are family first or is pikeville just another med school survival of the fittest
Thanks,
jake

Hey!!!! Guess I'll be seeing ya'll in a few months too. Has everyone found a place to live yet. We haven't had a whole lot of luck so far. I was just trying to get up with a few people that had been accepted to try and see who all is going to be in our class.

I am planning a trip to Pike Vegas on March 15th to check out any possible housing. I have heard housing can be a pain in the a$$. Looking forward to July!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ziggy7652 said:
I am planning a trip to Pike Vegas on March 15th to check out any possible housing. I have heard housing can be a pain in the a$$. Looking forward to July!

Yeah!!!! We just got back from our third trip looking and still haven't found anything. So if you hear of any two or three bedrooms that are downtown please let me know. Good luck with finding something!!!!!!

Hey have you been calling anyone about rentals? Also what are you looking for and I might know of some contacts? I think I've already talked to everyone in Pikeville at this point!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on being accepted to Pikevegas. I'll be happy to help you out with any questions that you may have about Pikeville. I'm currently a 3rd year and I've lived in Pikeville almost all my life, needless to say I'm know the area. Things to do is always a big thing about Pikeville, of course there is not much, but I think that this is the advantage of Pikeville. 1. It provides you with less distraction so, that means you will be able to study more. 2. If your class is like mine, it makes for more time to spend with your classmates and to make bonds that will last a lifetime. Also, we are improving, we did have Kid Rock in concert a few weeks back...

As the school goes, yes it is very family friendly. It is also a school that will go out of it's way to make sure that you get the information you need to get through the school and to pass boards.

As for living goes, most of my class lived at The Anthony, which is located downtown. It's a great place to live because you are close to school, the apartments are nice, just a little small. Also, the landlord is horrible about getting your deposit back....just don't count on getting it back basicly.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Hello all,
I'm Also heading down to PCSOM in July. Interviewed and accepted in sept. and looking forward to meeting my classmates and getting the long hard road started. I am also a facebooker, although I'm not really an addict like some. Look up Michael Greene at UT Knoxville and add me to friends, I'd love to get to know as many of you all as possible.
you all are scaring me abit with the housing thing. I haven't even really started looking. Won't a bunch of second years be leaving, opening up new spots for us lowly frist years? Anyway, facebook me or IM me (drgreeneatutk).

Hey all, I'm Matt. Nice to meet all of you. I'm a proud University of Kentucky alum and will be a first-year student at PCSOM this coming fall. I am excited about the opportunity to pursue a rewarding career and make tons of new friends in the process! An issue that seems to come up a lot is that there isn't much to do in Pikeville...I can attest to that because I also grew up in a small KY town. However, I know we will find some ways to distract ourselves from the grind! Oh, and by the way...in March/April 2007, I am DEFINITELY going somewhere for spring break. You're welcome to join me, lol!

Feel free to IM me sometime.

AIM: vettefan53
yahoo: sonic42503

Hey!!!! There will be a lot of second year students leaving but the problem I've been having is a lot of places are already being taken by the ones who are first years right now and are wanting to move. So it's really frustrating and all so you need to get started. My thing is that I'm wanting something a little bigger cause I'm married and we've done the whole one bedroom thing and bascially we've just got too much stuff for that!!! So if you're wanting a one bedroom I think you'll have no problem. So good luck!!!!! I look forward to meeting everyone!!!!!!

Congratulations on becoming the class of 2010. I am from Minnesota and I have heard that there has been 1 person accepted from Minnesota to date. I would love to hear from that person. I am a 1st year student and if I can help anyone I will do my best. I cannot wait to meet you all!!
As to housing, it is hard to find but as some of you have said the 2nd years will be leaving in July/August. My landlord is Dr. Gutti. He has a few places that you could look into renting. He has an office off of Hambley blvd. Talk to him at his office, Ridge Cliffs apartments or the Anthony’s are nice.

Dan B OMS-I

Life is short, science is long; opportunity is elusive, experiment is dangerous, judgement is difficult.
Hippocrates, Hippocratic writings.

Congratulations on becoming the class of 2010. I am from Minnesota and I have heard that there has been 1 person accepted from Minnesota to date. I would love to hear from that person. I am a 1st year student and if I can help anyone I will do my best. I cannot wait to meet you all!!
As to housing, it is hard to find but as some of you have said the 2nd years will be leaving in July/August. My landlord is Dr. Gutti. He has a few places that you could look into renting. He has an office off of Hambley blvd. Talk to him at his office, Ridge Cliffs apartments or the Anthony’s are nice.

Dan B. OMS-I

"Being a good doctor means being incredibly compulsive. It has nothing to do with flights of intuition or brilliant diagnoses or even saving lives. It's dealing with a lot of people with chronic diseases that you really can't change or improve. You can help patients. You can make a difference in their lives, but you do that mostly by drudgery--day after day paying attention to details, seeing patient after patient and complaint after complaint, and being responsive on the phone when you don't feel like being responsive."

by John Pekkanen

I'm excited and counting the days to orientation.

Hey guys,
I know the apartment search is kind of crazy in P-ville, but just to put some of your minds at ease... I didn't even BEGIN to look for an apartment until I think around June last year and I ended up finding something I've been very happy with... so don't fret too much :) Also, I don't know how many of you have looked here ( http://medweb.pc.edu/clubs/SOMA ) already but there's a list of the most popular apartments amongst the med students (go under prospective students and then look at Pikeville apartments). Also, when you call some of these places, they might be full/have a waiting list now, but that's because not all the 2nd years have probably let them know that they're leaving yet. I think they're all deciding rotations next week (or they did last week... something like that... anyway it was very recent) so the landlords might not even know they have open spots for another month or so. Hope that calms some fears :) If you all have any Q's, feel free to PM me. See you all at orientation!

Don't let anybody tell you there's nothing to do in Pikeville. There's an A&W/Long John's, a super Wal-Mart, and a blockbuster. Seriously guys, what more do you need? :smuggrin:

oopppss sorry

Call Dr. Gutti at 606-437-4100. He has 4 apartments. Of these apartments, 2 are 1 bedroom and 2 are two bedrooms. He has been a really good landlord for me. The number given is at the clinic where he works. He is a local Dr. here in town.

Dan

hey future 1st years,

i have pieces of furniture up for sale that is in great condition (e.g. leather sofa, cocktail table, etc etc)... if you are interested in saving money in your move to the pikevegas area, please PM me.

brodster - i know for a fact you guys will need a dishwasher! dont deny it!! :laugh:

enjoy the summer and best of luck in medical school!

are majority of the students from ky or around there?