PD not renewing IM contract, what do I do to get an FP spot for the 2006 via the matc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuFiBB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello
i am a categorical IM intern and my pd is not renewing my contract for the pgy2 year. I can not find a FP spot for the 2005 through the scramble because they are all filled so I am going to enter the match via ERAS for the 2006 entering class. my question is is that my IM PD not renewing my contract with severely bring down my application so what can I do for this upcoming 2005 year to improve my chances of matching into FP (ie research in FP etc.)
thanks a lot, I really want to practice clinically medicine and my program essentially firing me is a big blow, I really want FP more than anything so any advice out their on how I can get a spot via the match would be great. also how do I handlehe fact that my IM PD did not renew my contract as part of my application. How do I put it in my application (ie phrase it).

Members don't see this ad.

non-renewal is always a red flag on residency applications so you're just going to have to be bluntly honest about it and explain the circumstances surrounding your non-renewal to the best of your ability. You can bet that any program director that interviews you WILL contact your IM program director to find out additional details that may not have been mentioned.

are you sure all the unfilled positions are already filled? that's a little hard to imagine, even at this point in time -- there are always spots available somewhere, unless it's a geographic thing...

anyway, in terms of what to do in the off year -- keep on the lookout for positions that open midstream as people realize that medicine is not for them and abandon ship. i'm not sure doing research in FM will boost your chances of matching into FM with the PD non-renewal blow (particularly if the non-renewal was not due to program reasons but "your fault" so to speak). consider some additional volunteering experiences to stay sorta current and connected to the various patient populations you would be working with as an FM doc. also come up with a really good answer to the question "why FM" that won't come across disparaging IM or your previous program and doesn't make FM seen as the "default" specialty.

good luck.
-ed

If you look in the aafp magazine, there are two pgy2 spots being offered right now.

Good luck.

EH.

Members don't see this ad :)
What would be most helpful for you, in my humble opinion, is to try and get LORs from your former hospital from attendings who worked with you who were satisfied with your work. This should help you offset a tepid LOR from the PD.

By all means enter the next Match, but because FP is not considered attractive to American grads right now (see the recent "Family Practice News" newspaper which showed that the specialty is attracting a lot of IMGs), consider calling the programs you are interested in regularly. Positions in FP are offered year round for a variety of reasons. You can also check back regularly with the FP Hotline number,which at least in theory offers new position listings every two weeks. If memory serves, the number is (800) 288-2668.

Just keep trying. The next scramble wave is coming soon as folks who were already hired cannot finalize their contracts due to visa issues and those positions become available once again.

SuFiBB said:
hello
I can not find a FP spot for the 2005 through the scramble because they are all filled so I am going to enter the match via ERAS for the 2006 entering class.

How is this possible!? Based on history, there have been TONS of available FP spots after the match..This makes no sense to me that they could be "all filled".

Can someone please elaborate?

NuMD97 said:
What would be most helpful for you, in my humble opinion, is to try and get LORs from your former hospital from attendings who worked with you who were satisfied with your work. This should help you offset a tepid LOR from the PD.

By all means enter the next Match, but because FP is not considered attractive to American grads right now (see the recent "Family Practice News" newspaper which showed that the specialty is attracting a lot of IMGs), consider calling the programs you are interested in regularly. Positions in FP are offered year round for a variety of reasons. You can also check back regularly with the FP Hotline number,which at least in theory offers new position listings every two weeks. If memory serves, the number is (800) 288-2668.

Just keep trying. The next scramble wave is coming soon as folks who were already hired cannot finalize their contracts due to visa issues and those positions become available once again.

In addition to all of the things that were suggested above attempt to obtain a full med license. You will need to support yourself. Also, sit down and think about why the year went poorly for you. Work on your weak areas.

All the best,

CambieMD