PDA needed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freedyx3

I'm Columbian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

For those of you already in dental school do you guys think its useful to have a PDA during dental school? If yes would you pick Palm OS or PocketPC OS?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

VERY useful.

I have a Sony Clie SJ30 (which uses PalmOS) with LexiDrugs and 5MCC on it. Very handy for a patient's first visit when I have to do the H&P.

So you would recommend Palm OS over pocketPC? How come?

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you can put some sort of drug / diagnosis database on the PDA, it shouldn't matter which format it is.

I like my Clie SJ30 because it has the 320x320 16-bit color screen and it's nice and small. A couple of my classmates have the iPAQ.. And several other have Handspring or Palm.. And those really techy ones have the Samsung SPH-i330 cellphones with the Palmpilot built-in (though I think the screens on those are a bit too small for my tastes). Even older Palms are good as long as it has enough memory to run those apps. My sister has used an 8MB Palm Vx (with a monochrome screen) since 1999 with LexiDrugs and it's still good.

One of my classmates just ordered a Sony Clie TJ35. It looks a lot more streamlined and slimmer than my SJ30, has a far faster processor (220mHz compared to my 33mHz) and 32MB RAM.. I'm tempted to upgrade. :D

Don't get a Pocket PC with a "X" processor, because these don't run the applications you guys are talking about. I found that out the hard way when I bought one for my wife to use for her residency. FYI.

Ouch! Hope you were able to get an exchange?

I've always been a Palmpilot guy... I started off in 1996 with the first PalmPilot Personal with 256K RAM right up to my current Clie SJ30 (which runs on PalmOS). :D

I just traded out my Palm m505 for the brand new Tungsten E. It's a sweet piece, with the same form-factor as the old m-series, but a much crisper screen, better color, and a much faster processor. It also has twice as much built in memory.

The Tungsten E retails for ~$199, and is a sweet deal. Smal enough to fit in a shirt pocket and not weigh it down, and light enough to fit in scrub pockets.

Sorry guys, but I know nothing about PDAs, but I see everybody using them. What do they do? And how do they help dental students (other than what Tom has already posted)?

Hey Dentaldream,

The PDAs basically started out as personal organizers-- An electronic appointment book, phone/address book, note pad, calculator, etc. all in one. There were pocket electronic organizers before, but they were clunky with supertiny keypads. Apple tried to introduce a new stylus-based one (the Newton) back in the early '90s but it bombed-- The handwriting recognition did not work very well.

The stylus-based PDAs really took off when USRobotics introduced the PalmPilot (USR was eventually bought out by 3Com, then the division was spun off as Palm Computing). It works because USR simplified the handwriting recognition-- Rather than trying to recognize any handwriting, it needs the user to learn to write a certain way (the "Grafitti" system). What made it even more attractive is that you can actually exchange information and programs with your PC ("hotsync"). None of the previous PDAs could do that.

After the Palmpilots came out, they started adding more and more stuff to it-- Like combining it with a cellphone, which makes sense because you have the phone/address book in there already. There are also newer ones with a GPS receiver built-in to give you a moving-map display, and others with things like cameras and WiFi functionality (Bluetooth or 802.11) so you can send and receive email from one if you are within range/have access to a wireless network, and even MP3 player functionality for the health nuts who need to listen to music while they work out.

I bought the Palmpilot when it first came out because I was tired of jotting down info and reminders on little scraps of paper and Post-It notes that gets lost. Just getting rid of that mess of little slips of paper was worth it to me. :laugh:

These days, the biggest use I have for it is definitely the drug and medical consult databases. But it's also great for keeping contact information (phone numbers, addresses, email addresses, etc.) of your friends, colleagues, patients, you name it. The calculator comes in handy too when you have to calculate concentrations and milligram quantities of lidocaine and epi that you administered.

I've had my Sony Clie SJ30 for a while now (2 years) but you can get one with better specs these days for around $200, like Gavin's Tungsten E or my classmate's Clie TJ35. If you want one with a cellphone like the Samsung SPH-i330, expect to spend $400+. The really fancy ones can cost all the way up to $1000+.

I didn't buy a PDA until the start of my 3rd year, which was also the beginning of my clinical rotations. In addition to the drug reference I use my PDA to keep track of my patients and past procedures, as well as to schedule future appointments. I think that PDAs don't have great longevity so I didn't get a fancy one, but this model can do all those things I listed, as well as to view a few digital camera images of patients etc. It's also good for games when lectures get boring :p I got the clie sj22 btw.

Don't wast your money. Everyone at my school pirchased one and people slowly stopped using them. A $25 book suffices.

TOM,
I agree with you, Palm is better than pocketPC. I have my first palm in 96 pilot 1000, I am dedicated to it ever since. I am using Sony UX-50. with dorland, stedmans and Taber, 5mCC, 5memergency, a2z drugs, ifact, PRdrugs, and of course 5mdental.
I also have an entire Netter's book installed in it. it took me 60mb, but it is fast and very handy.
I had a patient who takes certain drugs that I have no idea of. I checked the names with my palm before calling my preceptor over. If you do the same, your preceptor will think that you are a samrt one and you will gain a better impression among your group. In dental clinic, trust me, it is a subjective world. If your preceptor like you, you will simply get a better grade on ANY work you do. It is far more difficult than doing well on a scantron sheet.

Members don't see this ad :)
to omfsapplicant:

Depends on your personal preference I guess.. For those of us who has been using PDAs ever since the first Palmpilots came out, it's second nature to us.

If there is one thing I can't stand, it's running around the clinics to see different patients, lugging 3 or 4 books, patient charts, a stethoscope, sphygmomanometer, my stamper, and other things falling out of my arms. :D

My clie combines those 3 or 4 books into just one neat little package that clips to my belt so I don't have to carry so much stuff. Hopefully in the future they will have a smartphone with a bigger screen so I can also get rid of the cell phone hanging off my belt. (the smartphones with the PDA built-in these days have tiny screens and I don't like that.)

to Frank and ct005ke002:

Very cool to see fellow Clie users here! I also want to get my hands on a memory stick so I can put more books on there.. Hopefully in a few months I can get my mitts on one of those 1GB sticks. :clap:

Dear all
with the palmOS based models you recommended, could I easily write MS words documents and compose E-mails easily? Is the bridging with MS office easy?

thanks

Originally posted by UBTom
Hey Dentaldream,

The PDAs basically started out as personal organizers-- An electronic appointment book, phone/address book, note pad, calculator, etc. all in one. There were pocket electronic organizers before, but they were clunky with supertiny keypads. Apple tried to introduce a new stylus-based one (the Newton) back in the early '90s but it bombed-- The handwriting recognition did not work very well.

The stylus-based PDAs really took off when USRobotics introduced the PalmPilot (USR was eventually bought out by 3Com, then the division was spun off as Palm Computing). It works because USR simplified the handwriting recognition-- Rather than trying to recognize any handwriting, it needs the user to learn to write a certain way (the "Grafitti" system). What made it even more attractive is that you can actually exchange information and programs with your PC ("hotsync"). None of the previous PDAs could do that.

After the Palmpilots came out, they started adding more and more stuff to it-- Like combining it with a cellphone, which makes sense because you have the phone/address book in there already. There are also newer ones with a GPS receiver built-in to give you a moving-map display, and others with things like cameras and WiFi functionality (Bluetooth or 802.11) so you can send and receive email from one if you are within range/have access to a wireless network, and even MP3 player functionality for the health nuts who need to listen to music while they work out.

I bought the Palmpilot when it first came out because I was tired of jotting down info and reminders on little scraps of paper and Post-It notes that gets lost. Just getting rid of that mess of little slips of paper was worth it to me. :laugh:

These days, the biggest use I have for it is definitely the drug and medical consult databases. But it's also great for keeping contact information (phone numbers, addresses, email addresses, etc.) of your friends, colleagues, patients, you name it. The calculator comes in handy too when you have to calculate concentrations and milligram quantities of lidocaine and epi that you administered.

I've had my Sony Clie SJ30 for a while now (2 years) but you can get one with better specs these days for around $200, like Gavin's Tungsten E or my classmate's Clie TJ35. If you want one with a cellphone like the Samsung SPH-i330, expect to spend $400+. The really fancy ones can cost all the way up to $1000+.

Tom,
I used to make a living creating custom programs for Palm devices (mostly the Symbol device which comes with a IR scanner). Your knowledge of PalmOS is very impressive.

When I attended the PalmSource Conference in Silicon Valley a few years back, they were showcasing all these new technologies that are reality today (MP3, Bluetooth, etc). The only thing that has not become reality is the built-in gas grill. :laugh: Maybe in a few more years.

TJ35 is the way to go.
When I bought my UX50, TJ35 was not yet released.
TJ 35 is as fast as UX50 and it is cheap ~$250
I should get a TJ35. with the UX, all my drug and med applications are smaller than it used to be. (due to higher resolution)
Oh well, just have to get used to it.

All you PDA loving people, would you please help me out here??

When most dental students these days take their laptops with them to the school, why is there a need to carry a palm? i see laptops to work as more efficient organizers than a palm.

i have been using planners all my life and have recently moved on to using date books. they allow me to see the entire week in one look and that i can see what i have (w/o having to click on the particular day). it also allows me to make my appointments overlap (a palm never does this). i sometimes color-coordinate things as well, which no palm at this point does it.
I store my contacts in my cell phone, emails in my email account, and appointments in my date book. what advantage does a palm have (except the size) that these dont provide???

thx..

Comet

p.s the software that allowes you to keep record of patients info, is that a specific software? if so, what is it??

to Comet:

It's personal preference, really. Some people prefer lugging around a laptop, some prefer a PDA. The best solution of course is whatever works for you.

It's my school's fault that I hate lugging around a laptop... Back during my freshman year they made us buy this huge monster known as the Apple Powerbook G3 which can weigh up to 10 pounds if you carry all the necessary attachments with you (power brick, zip drive, etc.). On the other hand, my Clie clips to my belt..

I don't really know what is the current state-of-art in ultraportables, but after a week of lugging that godawfully heavy G3 around I vowed to never bring a laptop to school unless it weighs less than 3 pounds including ALL the attachments. There is just no way I'm going to lug around a laptop with all the attachments, a stethoscope, a sphygmomanometer, patient charts, and other assorted things while running around the clinic. :p On the other hand, my Clie clips to my belt.

Laptops are also kind of vulnerable I think... I don't know how good security is at different schools, but I'm sure having a laptop stolen while you were away for a sec (to use the restroom or something) is a common occurrance at all schools. On the other hand, as aforementioned my PDA clips to my belt.

Also, quite a few of my classmates choose the Smartphone, which is a cell phone with the PDA built-in. Their patient management revolves around the smartphone-- All the contact info is on it, call the patients with it, and use the calendar on it for scheduling. It's convenient to have all that in one... And it clips to your belt. (interesting pattern emerging here, isn't it?) :laugh:

Bottom line is personal preference... If a laptop works good for you, that's perfectly fine!

Thx Tom for your elaborate reasons.
i am convinced that i might need to buy a PDA when i need to manage bunch of patinets.
So, today i went to a t-mobile (my cell phone carrier) store and was looking at their PDA phones (they are essentially PDA's but can be used at phones as well) and they were so cool! most even came with camera's (can take pics of my patients). some even have MP3 players .... (i can be the inventer of the music dentistry:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

anyway, i let the demand detremine what i'll purchase in the future

Comet

So are all the medical related software that you guys use in dental school for the PDA compatiable for both the PocketPC and Palm OS? Or are most of them just compatible with the Palm

Okay somewhat of a random post.
Anybody use handspring PDAs?

to Comet:

Yep, you will most likely find out the feature set you will need by second year of dental school. Hopefully they will have a PDA Smartphone to match for you! We live in very interesting times.

I remember when I was shopping around for a replacement for my Palm V back during my sophomore year (it didn't have enough memory to run the software I needed). Back then they didn't even have PDA smartphones. I do see myself moving up from my Clie in about 2 years-- Hopefully they will have a smartphone I like by then. :clap:

to Freedyx:

The medical databases software usually do have versions for both PocketPC and PalmOS. I have to admit I did not know some PocketPC PDAs didn't work with them until Bucktooth posted about his experience (I've always been a Palmpilot guy).

to Blankguy:

Yep, for a basic PDA Handsprings are good. They run PalmOS just like Palmpilots and Clies. For the more fancy ones such as Smartphones or WiFi functionality one will need to look at the other brands though such as Samsung, Sony or Palm. Several of my classmates do have Handsprings and they work perfectly fine for the medical databases software.

Resuscitation!

I scored a Clie TJ35 today, and so far I've discovered a half dozen or so awesome games, but I'm hoping to find some more productive software to install. Any suggestions?

Merry Christmas to all!

I personally prefer a pocketpc over a PDA. I am a very PC's person, so I tend to stick with windows stuff (sorry all you linux freaks........heh). A lot of the files are very windows compatible....ie: mp3, or even a 2hr movie (granted if you have a big enough external memory). I'm not sure about the wireless capabilities of a palmOS device, but the latest pocketpc's are 8012.11b.....meaning it is gonna let your surf the net, check emails, use instant messangers, etc. I pretty much see it as a mini-laptop.

btw, I got the ipaq 2115.

Oh fred........here the answer to your post. I personally didnt need the pocketpc to function in the clinic. I just like to play with new gadgets and toys. Most people in my class can barely afford more than $50 a week for food! :eek:

so you've proved that you are a tech geek......anything else? :p

PalmOS PDAs were designed from the outset to work with Windows PCs ("hotsync"). As a matter of fact, Palmpilots came out before PocketPCs and was originally designed to work with Win95 (and did, very well, even better than PDAs that used "Windows CE", which was the predecessor of PocketPC).

PalmOS PDAs have their roots in PCs that's for sure-- PalmOS stuff didn't work with Macs until Palm Computing released their PalmDesktop for Macs (starting with version 3) a few years ago.

And yes, there are PalmOS PDAs with Bluetooth, Wifi (802.11) and GSM/GDMA (Cellphone) connectivity such as the Palm Tungsten-series and the Clie UX-series. And they work with universal file formats such as MP3 or JPEGs, needless to say.

I like the Clie TJ and UX series, which has 220mHz CPUs and 32MB-baseline RAM with Sony Memorystick Pro expandability (add up to 1GB on a single stick).

The way I see it: If one has a PDA and it can help in the clinical setting, might as well use it. It's there and you already paid for it.

to Bill: Great choice! I'm REALLY tempted to upgrade from my Clie SJ30 to a TJ35 too... But since I'm only going to be in dental school for another 5 months I think can wait.. :D:

Originally posted by UBTom
to Bill: Great choice! I'm REALLY tempted to upgrade from my Clie SJ30 to a TJ35 too... But since I'm only going to be in dental school for another 5 months I think can wait.. :D
It was a Christmas gift, so I can't really claim credit :D But so far it's great. I think I initially underestimated the usefulness of the MP3 playback; it's a lot less bulky than my MP3/CD player, and with a decent memory stick it'll still hold plenty of music for marathon lab sessions :clap:

Whoever chose the gift chose wisely indeed. :D

I think I see a 1GB Sony Memorystick Pro in your future. Don't ask me why. :laugh:

Here is my 2 cents:

I hate Microsoft and anything it stands for. Palm all the way. I have seen people use the Windows stuff and be happy though. Know that there are a lot more programs for Palm OS than the Windows stuff. A lot of them for free..PalmGear

Also, consider one of these new Phone/PDA s. I like the Handspring Treo 600. Also look at the Kyocera 7135 and Samsung i500, i330, and i300. These are all Palm based. I use the oldest one i300 and just about to upgrade. You don't know how good it is to only carry one device. You pockets will be a lot lighter literally and figuratively ( are expensive). Once again Microsoft has their own version out (with Compaq and Samsung).

I use EasyDental as my office software. It has a Palm module that upon syncing every night, it would download all patient information, 3 days of the schedule, 6 months of all Rx's, and some other stuff right into my phone. Most reputable dental software now have this. Mine only has a palm module and not a Windows based one.

Hope this helps.

I'm thinking to get a PDA with built-in cell phone but not sure if I really need one for my D1. I hate to spend $600 on a piece of equipment that I won’t even need.
I see many dentists and D3 D4 students find PDA useful, but how about D1? Should I get one or wait for my D3?

DDS2BE said:
I'm thinking to get a PDA with built-in cell phone but not sure if I really need one for my D1. I hate to spend $600 on a piece of equipment that I won’t even need.
I see many dentists and D3 D4 students find PDA useful, but how about D1? Should I get one or wait for my D3?

Personally I would wait and here is why. Currently there are no phones/pda which intergrate wifi and GPRS data seamlessly. When that comes out it will be huge. Also in the coming years you will find that wireless data speeds will approach broadband connections. Plus first year I highly doubt its as necessary as 3rd year. Personally I'm considering a laptop. Right now all i have in this area is a blackberry 7100T.

Most dental schools make their students buy laptops. You might wanna wait with your laptop purchase since some schools require a laptop purchased from their bookstore to avoid support issues.