PDA - opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winterfire1203

VMRCVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Personal Digital Assistant that is. ;)

Proving how much of a vet school nerd I am, I spent a lot of my break playing on VIN and came upon some PDA articles. I wasn't aware that there were veterinary downloads available (5 minute consults, drug software, etc.). Now I'm intrigued.

Does anyone else use/recommend a PDA? I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a nice tool to tote around 4th year for studying/reviewing/wasting any spare seconds (do we get those or is that wishful thinking?)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't waste your money on a PDA as they are fast becoming an outdated technology.

Smartphones are the way to go. Heck, I'm fairly sure Palm has taken PDAs off their website and while they aren't the only ones to make them they were one of the big ones. There just also isn't a reason to carry around a phone/PDA/whatever other tech you need on a day to day basis.

I know you can get the 5 min vet consult and the plumb manual and other med-based programs for the iphone (as well as other phones I imagine, just haven't checked).

Only about to go into my 3rd year though I mainly use my phone to surf the internet on reaaaallly slow class days (I'm looking at you biochemistry and neuro-anatomy!)

I-Phone is the way to go.

I haven't been happy with any other smart phones (had 3), as their isn't a big enough community for the Apps (the good vet/med school Apps are amature made).

If you don't have ATT, and are not willing to switch, try the I-Touch (all the bonuses of the I-phone, just no phone). I love my I-touch.

I think that the ATT contract with Apple expires in 2010 and I seriously doubt Apple will renegotiate with ATT.

Finally, if you go the way of the SmartPhone, MAKE sure it has WiFi compatibility (Verizon does not have a single WiFi smart phone :-( except their Blackberries or Jailbroken phones.

Good luck to ya

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with going with a smartphone rather than a PDA. I have an HTC Touch Pro on Sprint that I really really like. I am so much happier with sprint than I was with Att both in terms of service and price.
I agree about getting a phone that has wifi in addition to 3g, there are places in the vet hospital here that I cannot get 3g service but wifi is everywhere here. Blackberry forces you to have a data plan even to use wifi so I would stay away from them.
Check out: www.howardforums.com for plenty of info on all smartphones.
Remember that this is all opinion so take it with a grain of salt if you wish:thumbup:

I have HTC's Tilt thru AT&T. We used to use Sprint, but AT&T is better for various reasons... not necessarily price, though. Or customer service. Lol. I like the phone, but it's buggy (or is that Windows Mobile?) so I probably would reccommend a step up from the Tilt, at least. HTC isn't the greatest about supporting their phones - if there's a glitch, it's AT&T's fault. Every time.

I'm holding out for the 4G network (and the 4G iPhone, possibly).

iPhone FTW!

I use mine religiously. In all sincerity I think these things should be a required purchase, and I don't know how any other vet student can get by without one. :thumbup:

Its great because in the middle of lecture the prof will drop something like:
"mumble mumble...shows signs very similar to Johne's disease....mumble mumble"
and I'm like oh crap I should know this but, what the heck is Johne's disease again?? But then I look it up on ze iPhone and it's all good!

Also invaluable for the calendar application, and notebook.
Then I take it with me to the gym and rock out to music while pumping iron.

And that's my endorsement...now where's my cut, Apple?!

iPhone FTW!

I use mine religiously. In all sincerity I think these things should be a required purchase, and I don't know how any other vet student can get by without one. :thumbup:

I agree the iphone is great and would LOVE to have one.... but not for $70 a month. Seeing as how for anyone who is taking out loans to finance part of their education this will result in $4000 in debt by the time you graduate it better be the last thing anyone ever requires.

Ipod touch offers all the same functionality as long a their is a wireless network available. Total cost: $300-500 versus $4000+ for the iphone.

I agree with David. The Ipod Touch is AWESOME. I love mine and find that a surprising amount of places have wireless internet connections.