Pediatric Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allioopmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering going into child neurolgoy and am uncertain of the application process. Is it still considered an early match? I am planning on couples matching and am unsure how to go about this if it is in fact an early match. Any explanation or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, currently child neurology is an early match via the San Francisco match process, it was made an early match a couple of years ago. I don't know how the couples match works with the San Francisco match, but Child Neurology is part of it. Also, there are pathways to Child Neurology via starting a pediatrics residency through the normal match and then transfering to a PGY-3 Child Neurology year after two years of pediatric residency, the PD might or might not be helpful with this i.e. your leaving to pursue Child Neurology, I think this is why they gave Child Neurology its own match, so that the pediatrics years and child neurology years are coordinated, . . . does this help? Maybe someone else can comment on the couples aspect of early match.

I could be wrong about this, but my impression was that you could couples-match to get your two years of pediatrics, since those programs would both me in the NRMP (assuming the spouse/partner is not matching into an early-match specialty), but I don't think you can couples-match with the cihld-neurology component, since the SFMatch and NRMP don't actually communicate with each other or coordinate any of their processes. You would be better off e-mailing someone at SFMatch and NRMP to be sure.

- Erick

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to hear you are interested in peds neuro! I "couples matched" with my wife last year, me going into peds neuro and her peds. It was easier to coordinate things for us because we both were doing peds interviews. When it came down to the early match, we made up our top list and then emailed both the neuro and gen peds programs that we were interested. My neuro match was not "coupled" so we made our official couples match list for peds after I had matched into peds neuro. It worked out for us, but it was easier since we were both in peds. There really is no good way to do it since its not an official couples match. Maybe one day it will be all in the regular match. Good luck

Probably because not very many specialities are San Francisco match it would be rare to have a couple that are both trying to match into early match specialties. I think that once you match into child neurology i.e. PGY 3,4,5 via the San francisco match that child neurology program will give you a handshake deal to a two year peds residency usually, hopefully in the same city, likely at an affiliated hospital. I would recommend calling ahead to the san francisco match and regular match to see how to enter a couples match.