Pediatric Neurosurgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravendown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just got a 2 week selective in pediatric neurosurgery. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with this kind of selective or subspecialty? Being a medical student, i realize i'll probably do nothing since this stuff is on kids, but i'm fine with not doing anything. Haven't had surgery yet and just wanted some exposure. Would anyone care to give advice/comments based on their experiences? Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
Just got a 2 week selective in pediatric neurosurgery. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with this kind of selective or subspecialty? Being a medical student, i realize i'll probably do nothing since this stuff is on kids, but i'm fine with not doing anything. Haven't had surgery yet and just wanted some exposure. Would anyone care to give advice/comments based on their experiences? Much appreciated.

This very much depends on the hospital and how the service is set up (residents vs PAs). Rounds are in the morning, you may be expected to pre-round. The OR typically starts anywhere from 6:30 to 8. Pediatric neurosurgery cases tend to be tumors, shunts, chiari malformation, tethered cord, scoliosis, and craniosynostosis. Read about the cases you go to. Post op check your patients. Showing enthusiasm and understanding of the case will likely yield increasing responsibility and involvement.

Hey all,

Prepare yourself for 80+ degree operating rooms. As a sub-I the long pediatric posterior fossa cases were the only cases I didn't rush to scrub, simply for the sweaty discomfort. During one long case on a tiny kid the room got above 100F. Hospital engineering had to be called to override the temperature limit on the heater to go that high.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prepare yourself for 80+ degree operating rooms. As a sub-I the long pediatric posterior fossa cases were the only cases I didn't rush to scrub, simply for the sweaty discomfort. During one long case on a tiny kid the room got above 100F. Hospital engineering had to be called to override the temperature limit on the heater to go that high.

This may be a stupid question, but couldn't that problem be solved with blankets and heating pads? I'm assuming it was to avoid hypothermia...