Pediatric Radiology Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Photochromatic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current resident planning on applying to peds rads. What would make my application/CV competitive for top fellowships, such as Boston Children's Hospital?

Is it the same ol' thing when applying to residency programs (research, leadership experiences)? I felt I was moderately competitive applying to residency (20+ publications, decent Step scores, etc.). So far during residency, I continued doing more of the same, along with a few additional unique experiences.

I understand that the sheer lack of applicants bodes well in my favor. However, I still want to ensure that I am doing my best to prepare my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Peds is pretty non competitive. I don’t think you have to try too hard to get into one of the top fellowship programs, especially if you are coming from a recognizable program. I’m sure whatever research and stuff you are currently doing is more than adequate.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have any attendings who trained at your desired programs, have them make a call. That kind of endorsement is as valuable as any of your research.

I personally think the research stuff is a bit overrated for fellowship apps. Assuming you're not going to stay on as faculty (or in academics), external fellows are usually there to crush the list and procedures. A year is a short time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Connection is the key.
Pediatric radiology is a small field. People know each other very well. A phone call can secure you a position.

If you have any attendings who trained at your desired programs, have them make a call. That kind of endorsement is as valuable as any of your research.

I personally think the research stuff is a bit overrated for fellowship apps. Assuming you're not going to stay on as faculty (or in academics), external fellows are usually there to crush the list and procedures. A year is a short time.

Research is overblown for the most part but I think having a little bit helps get your foot in the door. I was asked about different projects in fellowship interviews and at least some of the bigger name fellowships liked that there was some interest in the field beyond lip service. However I am not sure what being a research giant does for you over doing maybe 1-2 projects. Maybe makes you attractive for 2 year programs but I bet most won't care.

Agree 100% that contacts matter most. A letter from faculty who is active in the field academically or knows people in some departments goes a long way. People will say a lot more on a phone call vs. a rec letter.

Thank you everyone for your insight. Admittedly, I only go to a "mid-tier" (but respected) NY residency. No current attendings went to BCH. I agree the research is excessive, likely unnecessary, and has diminishing returns. I'm just not sure how to stand out without a strong connection. It is, perhaps, an uphill battle. Any advice if I'm going for the rise-and-grind method? haha.

Thank you again.

Thank you everyone for your insight. Admittedly, I only go to a "mid-tier" (but respected) NY residency. No current attendings went to BCH. I agree the research is excessive, likely unnecessary, and has diminishing returns. I'm just not sure how to stand out without a strong connection. It is, perhaps, an uphill battle. Any advice if I'm going for the rise-and-grind method? haha.

Thank you again.

Networking via professional societies/meetings is your other option. You lose nothing by reaching out and mentioning your interest.

What about a guest rotation at the center that you are interested in?