Peds Anesthesia Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicfletch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to fill a 4th year Peds elective and since I want to do Anesthesia I figured hmm, a Peds Anesthesia elective would be a great fit since I really don't want to endure another general peds elective.

Can anyone recommend some programs worth looking into or general anesthesia programs that see at least 50% peds cases (its the value my school looks at to fill the peds requirement).

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm surprised there are places out there that would put a med student on a schedule doing >50% peds cases. Here, it's unusual for the powers to put rotating interns or off-service residents in pediatric rooms. I hear that at some programs, CA-1s barely touch kids at all, especially if there's an associated childrens hospital where they get most of their pediatric experience on dedicated CA-2 and CA-3 months.

That'd sure be a sweet way to scam out of sniffle clinic though. Be sure to post back if you find a place to do that. :)

I need to fill a 4th year Peds elective and since I want to do Anesthesia I figured hmm, a Peds Anesthesia elective would be a great fit since I really don't want to endure another general peds elective.

Can anyone recommend some programs worth looking into or general anesthesia programs that see at least 50% peds cases (its the value my school looks at to fill the peds requirement).

Thanks.

Solution: Find a resident or attending who will say it is > 50% peds on the eval.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a pediatric anesthesia rotation through Baylor at Texas Children's Hospital which is a world class facility. It was absolutely the best rotation I've been on since starting medical school. Tons of opportunity to do procedures (I performed lots of intubations and IV's and such). You typically get bread and butter cases like T&A's, etc. The cardiac cases and big bowel cases generally go to the Baylor residents rotating through Peds.

Didactics are good but not overly burdensome and your days are done by 2 or 3 usually. The attendings are awesome and are great teachers. What sucks is just the logistics of staying in Houston, parking, etc.

Hope this helps.

University of Michigan has a peds anesthesia rotation through Mott Children's Hospital. I did a month of peds surg and saw some crazy stuff. I'd definitely check it out... The service takes 1 student/month and there are still slots left for our last 3 periods (our schedules are now locked from further changes).

I did 3 weeks of peds anesthesia at Stanford back in 2004 as a med student. Great teaching, intubations, mask, IVs, art lines, and a week on the acute pain service. Really great rotation.

you might want to consider a PICU month also, as they might be easier to find compared to a dedicated peds anesthesia month.