Peds ED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emergentmd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK,

I will be starting to do some shifts at a PEDS ED. I take care of PEDS all the time but never in a PEDS ED.

Any good books to read on updated Peds topic? Any good updated CME or video I should watch such as

Peds Seizures, Peds Fever workup, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I meant to say, I care for Peds all the time at my regular ED. But will be covering some shifts at a PEDS ED.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else think it's odd that pediatricians sometimes go back for a three-year peds EM fellowship? Why not just go back and do an EM residency?

Does anyone else think it's odd that pediatricians sometimes go back for a three-year peds EM fellowship? Why not just go back and do an EM residency?
Because oddly enough that does not make them Peds-EM boarded. In big cities and large children's medical centers, you need to be PEM boarded to work there generally. This requires EM+PEM fellowship (boarded in adult and peds EM) or Peds+PEM fellowship (boarded in general peds and peds EM). One who does a peds fellowship and then does another EM residency can take care of adults and peds but is not PEM boarded like the other two routes.. if that makes sense

What I find more strange is how PEM trained docs get paid less for doing the same job. Where I have worked in a Peds ED, the regular EM boarded docs get a better rate than the Peds EM docs.

What I find more strange is how PEM trained docs get paid less for doing the same job. Where I have worked in a Peds ED, the regular EM boarded docs get a better rate than the Peds EM docs.

Odd if that is single site, but my understanding is that the RVU/hr/provider generated on the adult side is much higher than on the PEM side.

Odd if that is single site, but my understanding is that the RVU/hr/provider generated on the adult side is much higher than on the PEM side.
I think he means working side by side in the Peds ED - doc 1 is EM, and doc 2 is peds EM - doc 1 gets more than doc 2, for the same job. You are correct that the RVU/hr is much higher on the adult side.

With the group with which I worked first out of residency, the Peds ED had peds and PEM docs, and the adult docs would fill in. The ones who were PEM boarded (all were peds, none EM-trained before fellowship) were partner-eligible, but the ones that were peds-only weren't (just like on the adult side - the FM and IM docs were not partner-eligible).

Working at a Peds shop with pediatricians, EM, and peds EM (all peds), I can venture a guess as to why a corporate group would pay EM docs more than the others.
It's because they work faster and bill better. That's pretty much all there is to it. It is annoying to be called the adult doctor by the staff, but the nurses still know who moves the meat and who to get for the sick ones.

Reactions: 1 user