Peds to Psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedChic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone was successful in switching from another specialty to psych. Is it possible to get credit for the internal medicine months if one passed Step III and completed a year of internship in peds if you match in psych? Also if anyone has taken a year off in between specialties, what did you end up doing? Are chances of going through ERAS again in order to match extremely lower if matching a second time around? Are you put into like another pool if you decide on this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have an answer for you, but I have seen many questions about this on this forum, so I know it happens often.

I was just wondering why you are trying to switch? I am having a tough time deciding between pediatrics and psychiatry.

I always enjoyed psych. I went into peds because I liked working with kids and thought I wanted to keep my clinical skills fresh and keep that medicine part alive that everyone talks about losing in psych. I wanted to keep options open in order to specialize in something like maybe Pulm or GI. I learned that I really dislike procedures, and even things like ear exams in screaming infants, immunization schedules etc. Pediatrics is very hands on in terms of the physical exam and it's pretty acute. I don't mind dealing with parents, but newborn babies, trachs, umbilical lines, PICC lines, gastric tube feeds are just not up my alley.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you've completed a peds intern year (basically any intern year) then you can apply as a PGY-2.

to psych? even if it was a PGY-1 in peds? how do you apply? through eras?

yes absolutely. even in psych residencies some people just do 4 months of peds and no IM. I know residents from every intern year who have matched as PGY-2s in psych. yes nowadays you have to apply through the match unless you are looking for a position this july. there may well be some PGY-2 spots open for this july. if you are looking for this july have a look at http://apps.psychiatry.org/clearinghouse/ to see if there is anything or email programs you are interested in. also many programs have several PGY-2 spots through the match as routine (Hopkins, UMM, UNM, UW spring to mind). PGY-2 spots tend to be less competitive too! good luck.

You are eligible to enter psych at the PGY2 level. However, not all programs will have openings at that level. Entering at the PGY2 level can be done outside of ERAS/Match now. Programs will vary on what they will ask you do do from the PGY1 year. For example a program might ask/require you to do a couple months of adult IM since you will be Boarded in adult psych. You could also enter as a PGY1. Doing so would give you a broader selection of programs. However, this would have to go through ERAS/Match unless you found a currently unfilled slot.

Apply VERY broadly. Transferring from peds means you don't have full funding. Many programs will refuse to interview you due to this. My institution and others are initiating new institution wide rules disallowing transfers without full funding.

Wow, thank you. I had no idea it was even an option; I thought I'd have to do at least a few months of internal. I'd even be willing to forego 1 year of funding even if it meant being able to switch to psych and pursue child psych, but I don't think you can do that. I'll apply in August and see what happens. I'm worried about not getting interviews but gotta hope for the best.

I always enjoyed psych. I went into peds because I liked working with kids and thought I wanted to keep my clinical skills fresh and keep that medicine part alive that everyone talks about losing in psych. I wanted to keep options open in order to specialize in something like maybe Pulm or GI. I learned that I really dislike procedures, and even things like ear exams in screaming infants, immunization schedules etc. Pediatrics is very hands on in terms of the physical exam and it's pretty acute. I don't mind dealing with parents, but newborn babies, trachs, umbilical lines, PICC lines, gastric tube feeds are just not up my alley.

Hmm. I always thought peds was less procedural than other fields... goes to show you should take everything on this board with a grain of salt! I was under the impression that residents don't even do lines on kids ... that those would be done by the folks in critical care, etc. I was considering peds, but can totally picture myself hating procedures.

Maybe it's program dependent. We're definitely expected to be comfortable with LP's and IV's, blood draws, NG tube placements, a-sticks and all that jazz. We also have the residency requirement to do several intubations and we should be comfortable with codes since we're usually the first ones there

Reactions: 1 user
how procedure based is pm&r or neuro?

question: I matched in psych but am considering transferring to a diff specialty one that requires a prelim/med or transitional year. I'm wondering if my intern year of psych will count towards this? I hate that it has 6 months of psych on it instead of a traditional internship. I am hoping those can count for something. any help would be appreciated. thanks

question: I matched in psych but am considering transferring to a diff specialty one that requires a prelim/med or transitional year. I'm wondering if my intern year of psych will count towards this? I hate that it has 6 months of psych on it instead of a traditional internship. I am hoping those can count for something. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Heh, one of the best things about psych and Ob/Gyn is that they have 6 months of on service specality their intern year. Gets you right into what you want to spend the rest of your life doing!

Unless you're having second thoughts/doubts on what you're going into! Then it's hell. And non-transferable to another specialty intern year wise

Unless you're having second thoughts/doubts on what you're going into! Then it's hell. And non-transferable to another specialty intern year wise
What are you thinking of switching to, if you don't mind my asking?