Peds tox

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So are peds toxicologists generally practicing the full age range of tox or focusing on issues in the pediatric arena? Is there even enough need to justify a career track that specialized? Are there pros/cons to coming to tox from the peds route or is it just another road to the exact same destination?

Members don't see this ad.

So are peds toxicologists generally practicing the full age range of tox or focusing on issues in the pediatric arena? Is there even enough need to justify a career track that specialized? Are there pros/cons to coming to tox from the peds route or is it just another road to the exact same destination?
I don't think pediatricians who go into tox are limited to peds tox only, because they still have to learn the entire field of tox and pass the same tox boards as EM-trained toxicologists. If it works anything like how EM tox works, they'd probably work part-time as a pediatrician and then part-time as a toxicologist. I have only ever met one peds-trained toxicologist, and he did a peds EM fellowship as well as a med tox fellowship, so he does shifts in the peds ED. Hopefully Daiphon or BADMD know more about this and can provide a better answer than I did.

Toxicology is considered an all ages specialty. Pediatrics is just another route to the same ends. That being said, everyone comes with their biases. I find adult toxicology far more interesting, but the kid stuff usual pays better, on average, as kids are almost always insured.