Pelvic Realignment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DancerFutureDPT

Academic Administrator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
THis is going to be particularly random, so I apologize in advance.

Somehow while sitting in chem lecture for 3 hours, I managed to either severely rotate my pelvis or slightly pop my right femoral head out of the acetabulum. I noticed when I stood up that I had pain everytime I shift my weight to the right, or take a step. Also when placing my hand over the lateral ilium I can feel the IT band and ligaments moving around more than they should. I also checked my PSIS (the best I can do for checking myself) and they definitely don't feel like they're aligned properly. Mine are always slightly off anyway, but it feels like they are more uneven than usual.

I know I have hip-snapping syndrome, or whatever they call it, that affects a lot of ballet dancers. Usually I can just do a dog-fire-hydrant like stance to pop it back into place, and while I was able to make it pop it didn't help with the pain or the weight shift popping.

Does anyone know how to fix this yourself? It's only happened once before, and fortunately I was at work and a PT was able to pull on my leg and realign me, which helped greatly. Unfortunately my work closed 2 hours ago, so that does no good to me until 7am tomorrow. It's starting to hurt while just sitting here too :(

I know I can't pull on my own leg or do any crazy PT spinal/pelvic mobs, but does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried doing both standing and supine hip flexion and abduction/rotation motions, but nothing is working. If it's still not better in the morning I'll go stop by the clinic on my way to my other job and see if a PT can realign me, but until then I just want something to make walking not painful. Although I will say the red wine I had when I got home is helping a bit :p

Members don't see this ad.