Penn 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epibackpacker

Epibackpacker
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to put up a thread for those of us doing our post bacs at Penn this coming summer or fall. I dont know if anyone has started looking for housing yet but if they want feel free to contact me and maybe we can set something up. Congratulations to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Figured I'd post something since no one else is! I'll be starting in May. Can't wait!

Starting in the fall, trying to decide between living in the city or living rent free in the suburbs. Any thoughts on commuting into the city from people in the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im also going to be starting in the fall.

Also, when I was visiting UPenn, I spoke with a doctor at the Philadelphia Children's Hospital, (right near UPenn I guess because he was able to step out for a moment and meet me.) He told me that he commuted to campus from the suburbs on the trolly, and it was great, and easy, straight shot into town. Maybe this bit of info can help?

I started the program this spring (part time).. so i'll be taking one class this summer. I live in the suburbs... and take the SEPTA regional rail down everyday for work/classes. It's not bad... it's cheaper than paying rent... SEPTA is pretty expensive though. I mean i think i pay like $125/mo from zone 3...

anyway.. wish you guys all luck! :). what classes is everyone taking?

Yeah I think the suburbs is for me. I can deal with the SEPTA for awhile. Twinkiee, I am doing pre-health so I guess I can either take bio, chem, and physics and do it in a year or take two and work part time. Noticed any pros/cons to school part time vs. full?

Finance2Med said:
Yeah I think the suburbs is for me. I can deal with the SEPTA for awhile. Twinkiee, I am doing pre-health so I guess I can either take bio, chem, and physics and do it in a year or take two and work part time. Noticed any pros/cons to school part time vs. full?[/QUOTE

I am also beginning classes on May 15! I'm a little nervous and very excited. I'll be starting with bio 202 and chem of the brain....any advice from the veterans?! Also if anyone has a general question about Penn I'd be happy to try to answer....i did my undergrad here and work at penn med. take care all! good luck.

I'm in the "special science" program. so... I've already taken most of the general pre-reqs for med school.

Finance2Med, I suppose the only real perk for doing part-time and working is that b/c I work at Penn (doing research) they cover 2 classes/semester. A total of 6 a year, I believe. So, I'm saving on expenses...

I'll be starting next week -- prehealth. I'm excited as well. Chemistry all summer!

For anyone coming into the program this fall, I currently live in center city in a great and affordable three-bedroom place (only 2 blocks from the subway -- which will take you right over to Penn), although my roommates move out July 31st, and I need two more roommates in order to keep the place. If any other Penn postbacc'ers are interested, feel free to PM me.

Thanks! And best of luck to everyone.

I just sent in my application for the Special Science Program the other day...do I have a chance of getting in for Fall?

dna111 said:
I just sent in my application for the Special Science Program the other day...do I have a chance of getting in for Fall?

I wouldn't worry, when I applied I sent in my app in June and interviewed in July and was accepted. The program can accomodate a large amount of people. Godd Luck!

I'm applying to Penn, Harvard, Wash U, and Yale. Putting cost aside, which of these is the best program? Nobody seems to know anything about the Wash U or Yale programs. I'm particularly interested in the discriminating factors between Harvard and Penn.

Thanks

So who is all showing up Monday (May 15th) for the get together? I'll be there!