Penn v. Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ORmed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts? Tried searching for this comparison with no luck... thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two things to think about:

-Curriculum - Do you like the Yale System or Penn's Curriculum 2000? Both are relatively flexible compared to other schools, but you have to consider whether you want P/F all four years (Yale) or earlier clinicals (Penn).

-Location - Do you "click" better with Phildadelphia or New Haven? Both are likable for different reasons, but certain pros/cons may matter more to you.

Congrats on being able to make this decision! Both seemed to be awesome, supportive schools and I don't think you can go wrong either way :)

Those were two of my favorite ones too. My vote is for Yale, although it probably depends on how self-motivated you are.

Penn
-Early clinical exposure
-Philadelphia may be a little more fun than New Haven
-Grades from second semester on keep you on track

Yale
-P/F for first TWO (not four, there are grades during clinicals) contributes to a friendly environment
-Extremely happy students (I felt that, along with Stanford, Yale students were just very happy to be in med school. Can't say that I felt that way about Penn - although they were happier than most)
-More than half of the students take five years, which creates an environment that encourages others to do the same. All schools will say that some of their students take extra time, but I think if 90% of the students are going through in 4 years, you're probably more likely to do the same. I guess this isn't a real consideration for most people, but it could be for you.
-They have some really innovative programs (such as surgery-driven anatomy classes) that are pretty rad.
-It's going to be a lot easier to maintain your outside interests (which is really important to me).

Jeez, now looking at what I typed, my bias is pretty clear. Sorry about that, and sorry for the disjointed structure. I'm really sold on Yale and I think it's the perfect school for the student who is excited about learning and can keep on track without the pressure of grades. It attracts students who have that attitude and who are interested in doing original work (through the thesis requirement), which creates a really awesome atmosphere.

Members don't see this ad :)
bidster said:
Off the top of my head, I can think of two things to think about:

-Curriculum - Do you like the Yale System or Penn's Curriculum 2000? Both are relatively flexible compared to other schools, but you have to consider whether you want P/F all four years (Yale) or earlier clinicals (Penn).

-Location - Do you "click" better with Phildadelphia or New Haven? Both are likable for different reasons, but certain pros/cons may matter more to you.

Congrats on being able to make this decision! Both seemed to be awesome, supportive schools and I don't think you can go wrong either way :)

Yes, I agree! Such great choices...

That's a tough one. I don't really have any useful input, except to say that I think Yale's pass/fail for the first two years - not four. But still. That's a HUGE plus.

I'm definitely partial to Penn, but that's me. :D

lol after spending the summer at Yale I think that saying philly is a "little" more fun than new haven should merit a person immediate registration into a mental health facility ;)
also i thought penn was very big on maintaining outside interests...why do you think yale is more so?

the1111gal said:
lol after spending the summer at Yale I think that saying philly is a "little" more fun than new haven should merit a person immediate registration into a mental health facility ;)
also i thought penn was very big on maintaining outside interests...why do you think yale is more so?

Haha, you're probably right about New Haven.

I got the feeling that Yale emphasized the outside interests more, especially by making their curriculum siginificantly more flexible than Penn's. Penn did have grades after first term along with more class time, etc. Also, from what I heard, Yale's student deans are exceptionally good at making sure that students are doing a lot outside of class (to the point of meeting with students to press that they do more).