people from CSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csudental

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To give a little background: I go to a CSU right now, but am considering moving to a Community college and then transfer to a UC.

I post two threads before about the same subject, but not a lot of people respond does your undergraduate affect your admission!?!

I talked to an admission counselor from KGI pharmacy school, And he haven't give me a direct answer to my question if it's better to transfer to a UC.

Can someone who have attend a CSU institution told me if it's hard to attend a pharmacy school from a CSU. And at their interview have anyone been asked why he haven't attend a UC ?!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, why are you making a third thread on the same exact subject? Second: your undergraduate campus is a part of the application and will be reviewed along with everything in it. Third: if schools didn't care about where you went for undergrad, why would they require you to state it?

even my school is one of most easiest school to get a high GPA.

And lastly, like I said in one of your previous threads, if pharmacy schools know how easy it is for you to get high grades at your CSU, then your 3.7 GPA is not going to be looked upon as highly as a 3.7 from a UC.

Reactions: 2 users
Firstly, even if you take classes in an unknown name and you got 4.0 GPA, outstanding personal Statement and LOR with 2 years of Pharmacy experience, you can get it anywhere you want. Secondly, CSU is not that bad, at least many of my friends heard of it. I'm pretty sure you never heard about my school name: Kennesaw State University. Finally, you are applying to a Pharmacy School, not Harvard or Yale medical School, so relax. Do your best to earn or great GPA. It's even worse if you transfer from a university to a community college, the admission commitee may think that you want to earn easy grade at community college.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First off, why are you making a third thread on the same exact subject? Second: your undergraduate campus is a part of the application and will be reviewed along with everything in it. Third: if schools didn't care about where you went for undergrad, why would they require you to state it?

And lastly, like I said in one of your previous threads, if pharmacy schools know how easy it is for you to get high grades at your CSU, then your 3.7 GPA is not going to be looked upon as highly as a 3.7 from a UC.

Firstly, even if you take classes in an unknown name and you got 4.0 GPA, outstanding personal Statement and LOR with 2 years of Pharmacy experience, you can get it anywhere you want. Secondly, CSU is not that bad, at least many of my friends heard of it. I'm pretty sure you never heard about my school name: Kennesaw State University. Finally, you are applying to a Pharmacy School, not Harvard or Yale medical School, so relax. Do your best to earn or great GPA. It's even worse if you transfer from a university to a community college, the admission commitee may think that you want to earn easy grade at community college.

:thumbup::thumbup: !!

to the OP: are you still pre-dental ?? ;)

i have done a 25 community service at a pharmacy and i like it, and i talked to a family friend he's a pharmacist about the career and it makes me more excised.
I'm a biology major so i still on the track, i just don't know a lot about the pharmacy schools and their EC's and if i need to take the pcat !
:thumbup::thumbup: !!

to the OP: are you still pre-dental ?? ;)

Thank you guys i was just wondering because on my other two threads, some other people told me they care about your undergraduate and where are you from !

take the prereqs. do well. spend time on your application. bring something to the table. do well on the interview.
the pharmacist i work with did 2 years of prereqs at a community college and went to ucsf pharm directly after. school does not really matter. unless you went to harvard and got a 4.0

Reactions: 1 user
can you guys give me some example of EC's and volunteer or community service

can you guys give me some example of EC's and volunteer or community service
join a pharmacy club (if your school has any) and try to get into the e-board. Start tutoring or do some research. Volunteer in a pharmacy (doesn't matter if its a hospital/retail or whatever pharmacy) etc...

join a pharmacy club (if your school has any) and try to get into the e-board. Start tutoring or do some research. Volunteer in a pharmacy (doesn't matter if its a hospital/retail or whatever pharmacy) etc...
i don't have a pre-pharmacy club in my school :( what's the e-board and i volunteer at a dental office is that count?

i don't have a pre-pharmacy club in my school :( what's the e-board and i volunteer at a dental office is that count?
e-board= president, vice-president, treasurer, etc. (but this is irrelevant cause there is no pharmacy club in your school). And I think the fact that you volunteer in a dental office can hurt you. They will know you are changing plans and that will bring unwanted questions from schools. (this is just my opinion tho!) It might also help you cause you can say that you did not like what you saw and that's why you are changing careers :)

You want to work in a pharmacy so you yourself truly know what you are getting into before pharmacy school and before you become a pharmacist. Maybe you will hate it and will not want to pursue it....maybe it will make you love it more. Schools want to see that you have done this, liked the experience, and still have gone on to apply to pharm schools....shows your desire/dedication. Cant really do that by working in a dental office...

Many classmates I know went to CSUs.

I've spent a good amount of time working with another UC school and can definitely see some differences in rigor, class sizes, attention from professors, research and other opportunities on campus, etc. Schools may view UC schools a little more favorably than CSU schools, but keep in mind this is only one factor. In most instances I can see it paling in comparison to things like your overall academic trend, extracurriculars, writing skills etc.

I would not waste your time transferring around to a community college just to switch to a UC. You can spend more time networking and utilizing the resources at your current campus for years. Show commitment to activities that you do and getting good grades where you're at, and that will look better than someone who hopped around for a perceived benefit in how your GPA is judged.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user