People who got admissions with low stats please respond (GPA, DAT, Or others)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentistry's lover

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please let us know if any of your stats were low and you have got admission:

GPA:
DAT:
# Interviews:
Pre-December Decisions:
Post December Decisions:
waitlist:

Pls write the name of the schools too! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please let us know if any of your stats were low and you have got admission:

GPA:
DAT:
# Interviews:
Pre-December admissions:
Post December admission:
waitlist:

Pls write the name of the schools too! Thanks

Writing for a friend who doesn't use SDN.

GPA: 3.1 overall, 3.2 science
DAT: 18AA, 18TS
# Interviews: 3
Pre-Dec Admissions: 3
Post-Dec Admissions: N/A
waitlist: N/A

Attending MWU-AZ

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.0 sGPa/cGPA
DAT: 22 AA/TS
# Interviews: 5
Pre-December admissions: 0
Post December admission:2
waitlist: 1

Reactions: 1 users
I had higher GPA and DAT, I had about 65 hours of volunteering in the community, but stuck with it.

Pre-dec admissions: 0
Post-dec admissions: 1

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
GPA: 3.23 BCP, 3.20 Science, 3.30 Non-Science
DAT: 19Bio/ 19Gchem/ 24 Ochem/ 19PAT/ 19 RC/ 24 QR (21AA/20TS)
# Interviews: 1
Acceptance at Dec 1st.
Howard Dental School.

GPA: 3.0 sgpa and cgpa (engineering)
DAT: 23AA, 24AA
# Interviews: 8
Pre-December admissions: 7
Post December admission: n/a
waitlist: 0 (but silence from one)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
If you want this to be more accurate I think it's also important to specify whether you are URM or not.

Reactions: 11 users

Attending MWU-AZ
Congrats!! Thank You

Acceptance at Dec 1st.
Howard Dental School.
Congrats!!!! One of the best human beings I have ever met in life went to Harvard dental school. He loved it there. Thank You

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.0 sgpa and cgpa (engineering)
DAT: 23AA, 24AA
# Interviews: 8
Pre-December admissions: 7
Post December admission: n/a
waitlist: 0 (but silence from one)

WOW, Congrats! Do you think your DAT covered up for your GPA? Did you have an upward trend of grades or just the engineering classes affected your GPA?

Everyone knows my oGPA/sGPA by now but wanted to inform you guys many schools look at BCP also. My BCP is around 3.06, and I received 1 acceptance, not URM (yellow as a banana :banana:)

I've also received like 8 rejections too, but all that matters is having at least 1 acceptance!

Reactions: 9 users
WOW, Congrats! Do you think your DAT covered up for your GPA? Did you have an upward trend of grades or just the engineering classes affected your GPA?

I think it was a combination of things. While I did have an upward trend, the average gpa for my major is roughly a 2.7 (so I'm pretty proud of the 3.0). Also, since all engineering courses are considered a "science", it significantly brought my sgpa down. Most of my core classes like bio, orgo, and gen chem were As and B+s. I think my DAT helped prove that I could do well with those core subjects. Then, the rest of my app was pretty solid to make up for my low gpa as well.

Were any of you asked in the interview about your low GPA/dat scores? If so can I get some feedback on how to best answer this question if it comes up in the interview?

My GPA is on the upward trend (my undergrad GPA is 3.32 without factoring in retakes) and I have a 3.93 GPA in a Post-Bac. However, my course load was light for the majority of my undergrad as well as Post-Bac although I was involved in clubs/research/volunteering.

Were any of you asked in the interview about your low GPA/dat scores? If so can I get some feedback on how to best answer this question if it comes up in the interview?

My GPA is on the upward trend (my undergrad GPA is 3.32 without factoring in retakes) and I have a 3.93 GPA in a Post-Bac. However, my course load was light for the majority of my undergrad as well as Post-Bac although I was involved in clubs/research/volunteering.

Just own it - what matters is you're doing something significant now to make up for it.

I have an F (a 5-credit one at that), a small handful of Ds, with a healthy dusting of Cs on my transcript and it hasn't come up this cycle because I've shown solid improvement since then. If I do get asked about it in a future interview I'll be sure to sell the list of things I actively did to fix the problem. Every question is a chance to sell yourself, after all!

Your post-bacc performance will help a lot, but a 3.32 isn't a big red flag or anything so it may not come up.

GPA: 3.1 overall/science (3.8 Biology masters)
DAT: AA18
# Interviews: 4
Pre-December admissions: 1
Post December admission: 3
waitlist: 0

I have been accepted to 2 schools and I haven't decided which one yet. Also, I'm not URM.
I would also like to mention I took my DAT before I started my masters. I recommend people who are going to the masters route to take your DAT after (or during) your masters. You learn so much at such a fast pace. Studying for the DAT would've been so much easier.

Still trying to figure what OP is trying to achieve here.... motivation thread?

Attending MWU-AZ

"For a friend" *wink wink* your secret is safe with us!

Reactions: 6 users
GPA: sgpa is 3.66 and overall 3.75
DAT: 21AA
Pre-December interviews: 4
Post December interviews: 4
waitlist: 8 :wow:
acceptance: zero

don't think you qualify as "low stats" ;)
I hope you get in somewhere soon! I know being on one w/l is bad enough....

Reactions: 5 users

Last edited:
GPA: 3.5
DAT: 21
# Interviews: 3 (NYU, Temple, LECOM)
Pre-December Decisions: 3
Post December Decisions: 0
Waitlist: 0

Acceptance at Dec 1st.
Howard Dental School.

I wanted to apply to howard this year but I cant because I got a 17 on quantitative reasoning and I took my physics at a community college. im actually bumed out about that lol

GPA: 3.04 ogpa, 2.99 sgpa
(gradGPA: 3.9)

DAT: 20AA, 21TS, 22 PAT

7 interview invites (5 pre-dec, 2 post-dec)...attended only the pre-dec interviews)

NOT URM*

2 acceptances
3 waitlist

GPA: 3.04 ogpa, 2.99 sgpa
(gradGPA: 3.9)

DAT: 20AA, 21TS, 22 PAT

7 interview invites (5 pre-dec, 2 post-dec)...attended only the pre-dec interviews)

NOT URM*

2 acceptances
3 waitlist

Congrats!!

I think this is a great example of how to get that acceptance... do well in grad school. This is promising for those who are worried about their uGPA and are in their senior year, or have already graduated

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my first acceptance today (only applied to two schools) from MWU-IL.

I'm a non-traditional student at 35 with a non-traditional academic background. Got my BA in Italian from Washington Univ. in St. Louis in 2004, went back to school in fall of 2015 to complete all my science prerequisites.

oGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.39
BCP: 3.91

DAT:
Bio: 21
GChem: 20
oChem: 15
RC: 20
PAT: 21
QR: 18
AA: 19
TS: 19

GPA: oGPA: 3.1 | BCP: 2.99 | PostBacc: 3.84
DAT: 22
# Interviews: 2
Pre-December Decisions: 0
Post December Decisions: 1

Just got my first acceptance today (only applied to two schools) from MWU-IL.

I'm a non-traditional student at 35 with a non-traditional academic background. Got my BA in Italian from Washington Univ. in St. Louis in 2004, went back to school in fall of 2015 to complete all my science prerequisites.

oGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.39
BCP: 3.91

DAT:
Bio: 21
GChem: 20
oChem: 15
RC: 20
PAT: 21
QR: 18
AA: 19
TS: 19

Congrats man! So happy for you! You definitely deserve it!

I was in a similar situation last cycle with 5 waitlists... Don't lose hope, but prepare for the worst and get ready to reapply. If you applied to Temple, I would definitely recommend their post-bacc program as I am in it currently. If you have any questions about it, PM me! Good luck!

GPA: <3.0 (both science and overall...). masters >3.75
DAT: 22AA/22TS
Pre-December Decisions: 0
Post December Decisions: 1 (accepted).. waiting on 2 more schools
waitlist: not sure yet

just wanted to give everybody hope. kill your DAT, and do well in post-bac/masters and you will accomplish your goal! PM me if you need any advice

Reactions: 10 users
GPA: 3.0 sGPa/cGPA
DAT: 22 AA/TS
# Interviews: 5
Post December admission:2
Where did you apply and where did you get the admissions? If you don't mind sharing

Where did you apply and where did you get the admissions? If you don't mind sharing
Applied to 17 schools. Interviewed at UW, Roseman, NYU, Touro, and UNLV. I was accepted to UNLV, Roseman, Touro and waitlisted at NYU.

Applied to 17 schools. Interviewed at UW, Roseman, NYU, Touro, and UNLV. I was accepted to UNLV, Roseman, Touro and waitlisted at NYU.

I had almost exact same stats and almost similar results for schools. Didn't hear anything from UNLV after my interview though. But just curious, since I'm choosing between Touro and Roseman, what are your opinions on the two? If you had the option which one would you choose?

I had almost exact same stats and almost similar results for schools. Didn't hear anything from UNLV after my interview though. But just curious, since I'm choosing between Touro and Roseman, what are your opinions on the two? If you had the option which one would you choose?
I personally like Roseman over Touro. If I didn't get into UNLV I would be going to Roseman. Nice facilities, great curriculum structure, and pass/fail (I have no desire to specialize). It's pricey but I felt like I would get my money's worth there. After speaking to some students it seems to be a low stress environment where you actually get time to relax and step away from the books.

My interview at Touro really turned me off from the school. So I really don't have much positive things to say about a the school. Iflew 6 hours to NY just to talk about the construction at the school with my interviewer. I was a little peeved that nothing about me, my app or desire to do dentistry was discussed. I was accepted the very next day but felt like I was only accepted because I had no acceptances at the time and they had a seat to fill. I see the school having potential, but I don't think I was a right fit for it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

oGPA: 3.43
BCPM: 3.55
DAT: 18AA, with 16 in QR
No pre-dec interviews
1 interview Jan 13
1 Acceptance Feb 3
3rd time applying

Reactions: 2 users
oGPA: 3.43
BCPM: 3.55
DAT: 18AA, with 16 in QR
No pre-dec interviews
1 interview Jan 13
1 Acceptance Feb 3
3rd time applying

Nice bro! glad to hear you kept with it and made it. Did you already share which school you got interviews/accepted? If not, do you mind sharing? I'm applying this summer

Nice bro! glad to hear you kept with it and made it. Did you already share which school you got interviews/accepted? If not, do you mind sharing? I'm applying this summer
Thank you! Super excited.
I was accepted to Texas A&M College of Dentistry

GPA: 3.3 overall
GPA: 3.3 science
DAT: AA18
# Interviews: 4
Post December admission: 4
Reject after interview: 1, UT San Antonio
Waitlist: 2, MWU-IL, LECOM
Acceptance from Waitlist: Roseman