Pepperdine MA or MFT program to fully funded Doctoral program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lettersandnumbers

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am interested in a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology and have a few questions. They are based on trying to get into Pepperdine's PsyD program from Pepperdine as well as using an MA from Pepperdine to get into a fully funded doctoral program.

Does Pepperdine's PsyD's program have any research opportunities?

Also, if I wanted to get into the PsyD program at Pepperdine but need an MA, which program is better to get in with, the MA or MFT at Pepperdine? Are there any research opportunities at the MA level?

How important are the GREs and Psychology GRE scores to get into Pepperdine's PsyD?

Does age matter for any doctoral program, I'll be in my late 40s near 50.

And lastly, I have read on this forum that some graduates of the Pepperdine MA in clinical psychology program have gone on to fully funded doctoral programs at other schools. I was wondering if anyone could share which ones and what the process was like.

Thank you for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

He masters programs at Pepperdine are total degree mills. The PsyD is good.

Hello, I am interested in a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology and have a few questions. They are based on trying to get into Pepperdine's PsyD program from Pepperdine as well as using an MA from Pepperdine to get into a fully funded doctoral program.

Does Pepperdine's PsyD's program have any research opportunities?

Also, if I wanted to get into the PsyD program at Pepperdine but need an MA, which program is better to get in with, the MA or MFT at Pepperdine? Are there any research opportunities at the MA level?

How important are the GREs and Psychology GRE scores to get into Pepperdine's PsyD?

Does age matter for any doctoral program, I'll be in my late 40s near 50.

And lastly, I have read on this forum that some graduates of the Pepperdine MA in clinical psychology program have gone on to fully funded doctoral programs at other schools. I was wondering if anyone could share which ones and what the process was like.

Thank you for any advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pepperdine's MA programs are solid. Especially the non-MFT route since its more geared towards preparing pre-docs students AND cheaper (less years). Pepperdine's PsyD program has an excellent reputation (91% match) plus they require a full dissertation, therefore, the program has a good (not extreme) research emphasis. Pepperdine also has a wide networking opportunity where as post-doc you'll most likely end up getting hooked to a good clinical position where pay is high.

I'm not sure I would equate doing a dissertation as a good research emphasis. That's basically just saying "I did a doctorate".

We can also probably let threads from 2017 stay dead.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure I would equate doing a dissertation as a good research emphasis. That's basically just saying "I did a doctorate".

But, then how can we deliver propaganda for a school that charges over 60k in tuition per year?

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I passed my driver's licensing test, so I'm basically Steve McQueen now.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes you can equate that. Usually PsyD programs do not require a dissertation. If you actually know what type of work a dissertation needs, you shall know what is meant by "good research" (aka good "amount" of research).

Yes you can equate that. Usually PsyD programs do not require a dissertation. If you actually know what type of work a dissertation needs, you shall know what is meant by "good research" (aka good "amount" of research).

This is completely incorrect. PsyD programs do require some sort of dissertation. And just doing a dissertation doesn't necessarily mean you know what "good research" is. For those reading this, please trust those in the field (and those hiring interns/post docs/graduates) rather than someone who has not gone to grad school yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

So when I wrote my dissertation like everyone else in my program, spent years in a lab, got published... that didn’t happen?

Members don't see this ad :)
You think too highly of what you think you know about the field. You may find it worthwhile to listen to those in it rather than presuming things. Oddly enough, as a doctoral faculty who is on numerous dissertation committees, who researches training, and who has a doctorate myself, I know exactly what a dissertation is. Simply doing a dissertation does not make your training experience one that is balanced with research. If you only do a dissertation, you are below the mean (2) and median (1) on research productivity in terms of publication by the time people apply for internship. You are also well below the mean(8) and median (6) on poster presentations. Not to mention all the work with research labs that is also typical.

But do explain why doing substantially less than what is average across the field should be considered balanced/in the middle.

Reactions: 4 users
So what I understood from your post is that a dissertation doesn't require adequate time doing research? What I have been told is that doing a dissertation involves spending good amount of time doing research. I am just using common sense, wouldn't a PsyD program with a full dissertation meaning the students spend some amount of time doing research on top of the curriculum? I am not comparing how powerful the research is, since of course PhD programs are the research powerhouse compared to PsyD. Back to context, Pepperdine's PsyD seems a bit more "researchy" compared to other PsyD programs just from looking at the curriculum/website. I appreciate if you clarify your point into context.

So what I understood from your post is that a dissertation doesn't require adequate time doing research? What I have been told is that doing a dissertation involves spending good amount of time doing research. I am just using common sense, wouldn't a PsyD program with a full dissertation meaning the students spend some amount of time doing research on top of the curriculum? I am not comparing how powerful the research is, since of course PhD programs are the research powerhouse compared to PsyD. Back to context, Pepperdine's PsyD seems a bit more "researchy" compared to other PsyD programs just from looking at the curriculum/website. I appreciate if you clarify your point into context.

Dissertations do take “time,” but most students also complete additional research projects on the side. Thus, if you only complete a dissertation (which is a requirement in doctoral programs), you are doing the minimum amount of research required.

There are also different types of research-related activities. Some are tangible products (e.g., thesis), some are not. Trying to quantify “a good amount of time doing research” is somewhat problematic as assessment*, therapy*, etc., ALSO involve research.

*Good

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Doing a dissertation requires substantial time. No one has said that doesnt. That does NOT make it the same as conducting and being part of research at a level that is typical/average/sufficient to ensure training in research on it's own. Doing a dissertation is not a alone enough to have a balanced training exposure. Programs that require no more than this are at the bottom tier in quality and are not standards of the field in any way.

Reactions: 2 users

You are not qualified to give advice. You clearly do not understand the subject matter.

Ask questions.

Reactions: 4 users

As the folks above said, it's not that a dissertation doesn't involve a substantial time investment and participation in research. It does, certainly. It's that (as was mentioned) many/most students will participate in additional research projects throughout their training, some of which will result in research products (e.g., manuscripts, posters), and some of which may not. I would agree with the earlier statements that conducting only a dissertation or capstone project (which is what some Psy.D. programs require) would generally not adequately train someone in conducting, or likely even fully understanding and consuming, research.

RE: Pepperdine, I unfortunately don't have much knowledge of their program. I would make the argument that nearly any program could/should have the potential to be appropriately balanced in terms of clinical work and research, even if it might take a little extra legwork on the part of the student. If a program would be wholly unable to support a student who had more than, say, minimal research interests, I would strong advise against attending that program.

There's a lot to know and learn regarding graduate study in psychology, and things are changing all the time. Asking questions (as said above) and scouring programs' websites are some of the best ways to gather information, especially when in the realm of figuring out which program(s) to which to apply or to attend.

As the folks above said, it's not that a dissertation doesn't involve a substantial time investment and participation in research. It does, certainly. It's that (as was mentioned) many/most students will participate in additional research projects throughout their training, some of which will result in research products (e.g., manuscripts, posters), and some of which may not. I would agree with the earlier statements that conducting only a dissertation or capstone project (which is what some Psy.D. programs require) would generally not adequately train someone in conducting, or likely even fully understanding and consuming, research.

RE: Pepperdine, I unfortunately don't have much knowledge of their program. I would make the argument that nearly any program could/should have the potential to be appropriately balanced in terms of clinical work and research, even if it might take a little extra legwork on the part of the student. If a program would be wholly unable to support a student who had more than, say, minimal research interests, I would strong advise against attending that program.

There's a lot to know and learn regarding graduate study in psychology, and things are changing all the time. Asking questions (as said above) and scouring programs' websites are some of the best ways to gather information, especially when in the realm of figuring out which program(s) to which to apply or to attend.

Thank you for your kind and professional reply. To sum it up, a research oriented program is one that goes beyond the minimum requirements to train students in consuming research. But one more curiosity lamp that pops up in my head: What's the point of a dissertation requirement for a PsyD training? Does that mean all doctoral degrees must sail their students through familiarity with how research is conducted? Do you believe any PsyDs out there are successful researchers?

Thank you for your kind and professional reply. To sum it up, a research oriented program is one that goes beyond the minimum requirements to train students in consuming research. But one more curiosity lamp that pops up in my head: What's the point of a dissertation requirement for a PsyD training? Does that mean all doctoral degrees must sail their students through familiarity with how research is conducted? Do you believe any PsyDs out there are successful researchers?

PsyD programs are still supposed to train students as good consumers of research. In order to be a competent consumer, one needs to be intimately familiar with the research process. In order to properly understand the findings and be able to discern between good science and junk science, a clinician needs to understand what good science is. And in order to be a good clinician, one needs to be well-versed in good science to effectively practice, especially with the importance of EBTs. Thus the importance of research for any doctoral level clinician.

A dissertation is a minimum requirement for research competency. In order to effectively develop a promising dissertation project, a student should still also have previous experience that drives said dissertation project. Many PsyD programs should still have a research component. Even just from a practicality standpoint, how do you propose and defend a quality research project if you have no training beforehand?

I am telling you now. If you’re incapable of understanding when to ask for information and when to give it, you will not get into or through grad school.

Trust me, if a Psychologist is incapable of providing a clear and professional answer, they leave no room for students to ask a robust question. If many of those arrogant psychologists on here made it through graduate school, I strongly believe I can too.

Trust me, if a Psychologist is incapable of providing a clear and professional answer, they leave no room for students to ask a robust question. If many of those arrogant psychologists made it through graduate school, I strongly believe I can too.

I’ll help you out: If you want to learn, ask questions. Ask robust questions. Questions typically start with who, what, when, how, why and end with question marks. You are giving people advice that is wrong. If you want to be successful in almost any endeavor, it is better to ask questions from people who are doing better than you. People who can’t tolerate getting advice from others who are doing better tend to have a harder time in life.

I’ll help you out: If you want to learn, ask questions. Ask robust questions. Questions typically start with who, what, when, how, why and end with question marks. You are giving people advice that is wrong. If you want to be successful in almost any endeavor, it is better to ask questions from people who are doing better than you. People who can’t tolerate getting advice from others who are doing better tend to have a harder time in life.

Maybe more of providing people with information they can't find. I am still getting my information from reputable sources (eg. university/program's website) and post it. When I chip in my "thoughts", I usually state so. I believe there is nothing wrong with peer-peer brainstorming along the professionals on here. [/QUOTE]

Maybe more of providing people with information they can't find. I am still getting my information from reputable sources (eg. university/program's website) and post it. When I chip in my "thoughts", I usually state so. I believe there is nothing wrong with peer-peer brainstorming along the professionals on here.
[/QUOTE]
No, you are providing poor information as if you are well-informed and are resistant to other people giving you contradictory arguments, even when they use actual data and years of professional training and experience to substantiate their claims. Your combativeness and resistance are not encouraging. A large part of training in clinical psychology is being receptive to the advice and supervision by actual psychologists (like those here), which, depending on the person, can be delivered in less than ideal ways. You need to be able to learn from them and readjust your approach without taking anything negative personally. You definitely don't want to be seen as untrainable.

Reactions: 3 users
Mod Note: Let's please try to remain civil and professional before we get derailed. Thanks all.

Hk328 brought up most of the points I would've addressed. All I would add is to that I wouldn't consider a research-oriented program to be one that just goes beyond the minimum requirements, as the minimum requirements can sometimes be a bit paltry. A research-oriented program is one in which the majority of a person's time is spent participating in and conducting research. And yes, there are very successful Psy.D. researchers. In the years since the Psy.D.'s inception, many of its bestowing programs have come to look a lot like balanced Ph.D. programs. There's much more overlap than difference between the two degrees. There are great Psy.D. programs, great Ph.D. programs, bad Psy.D. programs, and bad Ph.D. programs.

Program websites can be great sources of information, but it's important to keep in mind (which I didn't mention in my post above) that they sometimes aren't updated, and usually aren't exhaustive. The information provided gives a general overview of what time in their program will look like, but there's typically much more going on than a website is able to express. Looking at their graduate student handbook, if it's available, can provide additional information on requirements, timelines, etc. But even that, in isolation, is incomplete.

Maybe more of providing people with information they can't find. I am still getting my information from reputable sources (eg. university/program's website) and post it. When I chip in my "thoughts", I usually state so. I believe there is nothing wrong with peer-peer brainstorming along the professionals on here.
I would encourage you to worry less about providing any sort of personal perspective and brainstormed thoughts so early on in your info gathering about psych and, instead, focus on asking questions. Sourcing info is fine, but I would still likely defer that to others since (as AA said) you may not be getting all of it. There is more benefit to you by taking this approach.