Percentage of filled seats by rolling admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NKWAH

Reaction score
I'm a Canadian who only considered US med schools recently and submitted my primary today. I know it's very late but I figured it couldn't hurt to try. Everyone knows earlier is better but I was wondering if there were any stats on how much better? Like am I fighting for a remaining 50%, the last 10%, or is it practically filled up by now?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Canadian who only considered US med schools recently and submitted my primary today. I know it's very late but I figured it couldn't hurt to try. Everyone knows earlier is better but I was wondering if there were any stats on how much better? Like am I fighting for a remaining 50%, the last 10%, or is it practically filled up by now?
To follow up on @gonnif 's advice, if you withdraw before your primary is verified, then you will be considered as "not having applied" this cycle, and therefore avoid being a reapplicant. Applying now is most likely useless.

Also @gonnif why is your post's left side golden?

Reactions: 1 user
It's because they're a gold member. It's one of the new features in the update.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the downsides to being a reapplicant? I know there are other questions to be asked in secondary applications about being a reapplicant. But it sounds like you're saying there's a significant disadvantage on the adcom end?

What are the downsides to being a reapplicant? I know there are other questions to be asked in secondary applications about being a reapplicant. But it sounds like you're saying there's a significant disadvantage on the adcom end?
I think part of it is that your second application has to be significantly improved compared to your original one. You can't just continue with your scribe job and reapply with more clinical hours while everything else is identical. I'm kind of worried I might not get in this cycle and I basically applied to everything in my state(which is California). I don't know how much I could improve my application besides submitting it earlier and maybe doing some additional classes at my local CC while I work...

Reactions: 3 users
To follow up on @gonnif 's advice, if you withdraw before your primary is verified, then you will be considered as "not having applied" this cycle, and therefore avoid being a reapplicant. Applying now is most likely useless.

So I've paid already (yikes) and received a secondary from BU and created an account there, but my transcript and final reference haven't arrived. I actually received an email about my application being on hold because of my transcript. It said: Current Application Status: Submitted to AMCAS - Waiting for Transcripts

Is it too late to withdraw?

So I've paid already (yikes) and received a secondary from BU and created an account there, but my transcript and final reference haven't arrived. I actually received an email about my application being on hold because of my transcript. It said: Current Application Status: Submitted to AMCAS - Waiting for Transcripts

Is it too late to withdraw?
???? What exactly is your AMCAS status? If it is "Waiting for Transcripts," you can withdraw and get a refund of everything beyond the initial $170. If this option is available you will see it in the menu.

If you are verified, you cannot withdraw through AMCAS and won't be able to get any refund from them. You still don't have to submit or pay from secondaries, but, yes, you will be a reapplicant at every school that received your primary.

But I don’t think his primary has been transmitted to any schools yet because it isn’t verified. I do remember that sometimes (maybe always) schools receive a list of applicants who apply to a particular school. So that’s why BU sent out a secondary. But that’s not the same as having been verified. So I think he can still withdraw.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
That would appear to be the case. I am definitely not verified yet nor do I think the verification process has even begun. It sucks to hear that I'm too late but I'm grateful to be able to pull out with only a slight monetary hit and it's a lesson for next year.

So to be very clear - since I've withdrawn my application before being verified (and I think the fact that I'm even able to withdraw is proof of that), I've avoided the dreaded reapplicant status. Is there any other negative association with having completed and submitted the primary? For example, I don't get refunded for a few schools who had October 1 as the deadline - will they retain information of my withdrawal?

Thanks everybody

Last edited:
That would appear to be the case. I am definitely not verified yet nor do I think the verification process has even begun. It sucks to hear that I'm too late but I'm grateful to be able to pull out with only a slight monetary hit and it's a lesson for next year.

So to be very clear - since I've withdrawn my application before being verified (and I think the fact that I'm even able to withdraw is proof of that), I've avoided the dreaded reapplicant status. Is there any other negative association with having completed and submitted the primary? For example, I don't get refunded for a few schools who had October 1 as the deadline - will they retain information of my withdrawal?

Thanks everybody
This 10/1 business is very in the weeds, so I am quite frankly unsure. As you might imagine, it's pretty unusual for someone to submit and then want to withdraw prior to verification but after deadlines has passed.

My sense would be that you would not be a reapplicant anywhere because, if AMCAS allows you to withdraw, your primary will have never been transmitted anywhere. They are keeping your fees because their deadlines passed before you withdrew (and, by the way, I'm not sure how much, if any, or those fees go to the schools as opposed to AMCAS!), but, you did not actually apply if you withdraw before verification and transmission.

I think that the stigma of being a reapplicant is somewhat overblown on here.

I think that the stigma of being a reapplicant is somewhat overblown on here.
I have no idea but I do trust the opinions of people more experienced than me. More than anything, there's no reason to put myself through the mental and financial burden of 20 secondary applications for a severely reduced chance of entry.

I'm a little surprised someone who's served on an adcom hasn't spoken up about this to put it to rest. Are they not allowed to share that information? Not even the specific scoring system, but just to confirm if it's a big deal or not.

I have no idea but I do trust the opinions of people more experienced than me. More than anything, there's no reason to put myself through the mental and financial burden of 20 secondary applications for a severely reduced chance of entry.

I'm a little surprised someone who's served on an adcom hasn't spoken up about this to put it to rest. Are they not allowed to share that information? Not even the specific scoring system, but just to confirm if it's a big deal or not.
It's not as much stigma as it is having to jump through the additional hoop of having your application compared to a prior one, and being expected to show significant improvement. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but, in your case, it's extremely avoidable, so why subject yourself to the extra level of scrutiny, not to mention whatever bias exists at some schools?

For the record, @gonnif is an adcom who has spoken up! :) If you search the forum, you will find several posts he has made where he links to a bunch of school websites describing what is expected of reapplicants, and how those expectations make the chances of admission lower than for a first time applicant.

Last edited:

Yea, you can even google it. If you withdraw before primary is verified, you might lose the fees you already paid, but you will not be considered a reapplicant at any school, including the one you designated on your primary submission. You should probably withdraw soon, as I imagine processing times are not long anymore, since the vast majority of the applicant pool must already have submitted.

Yea, you can even google it. If you withdraw before primary is verified, you might lose the fees you already paid, but you will not be considered a reapplicant at any school, including the one you designated on your primary submission. You should probably withdraw soon, as I imagine processing times are not long anymore, since the vast majority of the applicant pool must already have submitted.
Makes sense. You guys spooked me good and it's already withdrawn. Here's to a better planned 2022 application 🍻
Funny enough, I made a paper transcript request on September 20 (yes I now understand it's too late, don't worry) and I was cursing that it was taking so long to arrive. Now I wonder if they couldn't start verification because of that!

Makes sense. You guys spooked me good and it's already withdrawn. Here's to a better planned 2022 application 🍻
Funny enough, I made a paper transcript request on September 20 (yes I now understand it's too late, don't worry) and I was cursing that it was taking so long to arrive. Now I wonder if they couldn't start verification because of that!
Well, yeah. They can't verify a transcript before it's received, and less than two weeks is hardly a lot of time for a paper transcript request to be processed by your school, sent and received by AMCAS!

I'm an adcom and I can tell you that we're about 20% through the interview cycle at this point but it is likely that 50% of the candidates who will be interviewed have already been selected and queued for interview invites. So you are joining the party very late, perhaps too late to be noticed.

I'd highly recommend yanking your application, getting a refund of whatever portion is refundable, and gearing up to apply to US schools in May 2022.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I'm an adcom and I can tell you that we're about 20% through the interview cycle at this point but it is likely that 50% of the candidates who will be interviewed have already been selected and queued for interview invites. So you are joining the party very late, perhaps too late to be noticed.

I'd highly recommend yanking your application, getting a refund of whatever portion is refundable, and gearing up to apply to US schools in May 2022.
When you say that the candidates are "queued" for invites, why do you not just invite them all in like the same week? And just let them pick dates until they fill up so no date gets overbooked? Is there a reason you designate them for interviews but don't tell them immediately?

This right here is more than a good reason to withdraw. Other schools have deadlines of 10/15 and on. You might not even be verified and you’d have a tough time cranking those reapplications out by the various upcoming deadlines. I can’t believe the AMCAS system let you even apply to schools who have 10/1 deadlines.

When you say that the candidates are "queued" for invites, why do you not just invite them all in like the same week? And just let them pick dates until they fill up so no date gets overbooked? Is there a reason you designate them for interviews but don't tell them immediately?

Experience has shown that inviting candidates with dates several months in advance results in cancellations, no-shows, and requests for rescheduling close to the date which can result in fewer applicants actually interviewed as it becomes difficult to fill a slot on short notice. It is far more efficient to invite smaller subsets of applicants and offer dates 2-3 weeks in advance than to release 12 weeks of dates to 4-6 times as many candidates.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Experience has shown that inviting candidates with dates several months in advance results in cancellations, no-shows, and requests for rescheduling close to the date which can result in fewer applicants actually interviewed as it becomes difficult to fill a slot on short notice. It is far more efficient to invite smaller subsets of applicants and offer dates 2-3 weeks in advance than to release 12 weeks of dates to 4=6 times as many candidates.
This should probably not only be pinned to the front page, but also repeated once per week in every thread discussing IIs, from between when IIs first go out until the interview season ends, so that each and every person who freaks out when they see IIs posted, and they want to know if it's over for them after not receiving one, can refer to it!!!!! I'm sure yours is not the only school that works this way, and it's probably the single biggest reason people receive "late" IIs, as opposed to someone receiving a late, last minute review.

Last edited: