Performing Eye Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Niklu13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone in the general medical school population perform eye surgery with the right amount of practice..............

or

Does one need to possess an above average amount of dexterity (innate) to be a competent ophthalmologist.........

If you dont mind me asking Ophtho...mudphud, would you say you are very dexterous????

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Niklu13
Can anyone in the general medical school population perform eye surgery with the right amount of practice..............

or

Does one need to possess an above average amount of dexterity (innate) to be a competent ophthalmologist.........

If you dont mind me asking Ophtho...mudphud, would you say you are very dexterous????

I believe most people can perform eye surgery with practice and with good training.

I am lucky because I'm good with my hands and can work under a microscope. I did a lot of microsurgery on rodents (about 4 years) as an undergraduate student and learned to work with surgical microscopes early.

Having a certain level of dexterity and hand-eye-coordination help greatly.